Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 pm 

http://www.b-29doc.com/news.php

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:07 pm 

OUTSTANDING NEWS! I for one am very excited to see that "Doc" is being worked on again. Hope them the best.

Travis

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:50 pm 

That's awesome. I just filled out the volunteer form, I could do it since I have jumpseat privileges.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great news for sure. :D I wanted to check out whatever photos they have there on the website but no photos are coming in for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 am 

I'm an engineer working with all the retired old farts restoring Doc. I'm the odd guy out as everyone else has 30+ years on me. However, here's an update:

About 2 months ago, the board of Doc's Friends opted to replace all 4 engines with newer Wright 3350 hybrids-similar to what Fifi has now, rather than use the original engines. The first of the new engines was scheduled to show up Saturday, but that was put off a week (didn't hear why).

The airframe is largely together except for the outboard wings. The RH wing had severe corrosion on its chord spar, so a new one was made. I am currently holding up getting the wingtips on as I have to engineer some parts to reword a fitting due to some slight differences between the new chord and the old one. The LH wing is ready to go on, but we're wanting to do both wings in one weekend. Should be within a month, and then the airframe will be largely complete.

Considerable rework will need done to the engine nacelles to fit the new engines. We're bringing in a few new guys to help with that over the next couple of months.

Each day there is a team of 10 to often upwards of 30 retirees, some of whom built Doc 70 years ago, working on him for about 10 hours per day. Last weekend an open house was held. 3000 people came in to take a look, and some $1400 was collected. Great progress is finally being made, and with the financial backing of Doc's Friends, it won't be long before Fifi has a friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to WIX.

If the goal is to keep "Doc" flying regularly, then the engine decision really is great news.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Welcome to WIX.

If the goal is to keep "Doc" flying regularly, then the engine decision really is great news.

That's the plan. The new engines require an overhaul every 2000 hours, the old ones were every 50. That alone almost justified the cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

R-3350-29GA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 pm 

Thanks for posting the update ryguy135 :D. It's nice to have someone posting on WIX who is directly involved in the restoration. Glad to hear that the engine work is already underway, with an engine expected shortly. Doc is a sharp looking B-29!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

That is certainly great, great news.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:18 pm 

ryguy135 wrote:
The airframe is largely together except for the outboard wings. The RH wing had severe corrosion on its chord spar, so a new one was made. I am currently holding up getting the wingtips on as I have to engineer some parts to reword a fitting due to some slight differences between the new chord and the old one. The LH wing is ready to go on, but we're wanting to do both wings in one weekend. Should be within a month, and then the airframe will be largely complete.

That's great!

I saw Fifi in 2005, and its left outer wing was in terrible condition. It already had a spar repair done to it, but as there was practically nothing left of the original. One of the worst cases of IGC I have ever seen. Gary (RIP) did a huge service by putting his foot down and do a long term complete restoration job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:41 pm 

Ken wrote:
R-3350-29GA

R-3350-B29 actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is great news!
Welcome to WIX. There are a lot of real knowledgeable folks here. That engine decision is a no brainer. I know the folks at Ezell Aviation were instrumental in making that happen. They could probably pass along knowledge and or expertise.
We'll definitely be eager to hear any further. Best of luck! :drink3:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is one of my most anticipated restorations to airworthy currently underway. And that's saying something in these times when there are two Twin Mustangs, a Black Widow, and many more very exciting restorations going on around the world. I really look forward to the day "Doc" sees air under her wings again and the world's population of Superforts is doubled. The first time that "Fifi" and "Doc" are airborne together will certainly be a momentous occassion as well. Here's hoping all the setbacks and delays are behind them and the crew of "Doc" can work steady to completion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 pm 

I'll keep giving you all updates as progress is made. Every day volunteers are putting in about 150 man hours on this restoration. Boeing has given us a very large hangar just for Doc that is contracted for 2 years, and word is it might be donated as a permanent home for him. There's a very can-do attitude about getting this bird in the air, and now that Doc has the financial backing and semi-permanent home he needs, this project is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.