Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Click here to goto Amazon.com

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:52 pm 
Group Captain

Any update on the B-17 #: 41-2446 Swamp Ghost
Forced landing, Agaiambo Swamp, Papua, New Guinea.

The Registry said that David Tallichet acquired the salvage rights in 1999.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
The Registry said that David Tallichet acquired the salvage rights in 1999.

Wow! How'd he get the permission? Apparently Papua New Guinea has been closed to outside recovery work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:05 pm 
Group Captain

Go to Pacific Wrecks Database, find the Swamp Ghost site. Alfred Hagen bought out Tallichet's interests. Read info, very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:24 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Well Folks,

Let me tell you it really doesn't matter who has the so-called rights to Swamp Ghost the USAFM claims ownership of it. Has been since 1983 when we where going to go in a do the recovery of her and send it to Travis AFB.

The PNG Gov. know all this and basically have try to shurk the whole thing, I know why hasn't the USAFM gone ina recovered her yet well they don't have the $$$ to do it and as a mtter of fact their is a rumor that the USAFM might place Swamp Ghost on the UNESCO Endanger Artifacts list if this happens then the PNG gov. will be force to allow a recovery. I hope this happens so the last Bendix Turret 17 can come home.

RER

Post subject: Swamp Ghost
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:47 am 
Group Captain

Thanks Col. I hope it gets recovered by someone soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the red tape in getting her out is higher & more sharp than the kunai grass surrounding her. rob has the right theory, but justin taylan can put all the speculation to rest. regards, tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:47 pm 
Group Captain

Indeed.

the political process turns ever so slow. Meanwhile, the old girl will continue her slide into oblivion. I hope someone can get her out before it is too late.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:55 pm 
Group Captain

I don't think Mr. Taylan wants Swamp Ghost to be recovered. He has a petition on his site to the PNG government to prevent recovery from happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:04 pm 
Group Captain

Hi,

That info is terribly unfortunate. What is the point of placing petitions and "hands off" signs on aircraft such as this and the TBD Devastator that was the subject of a lengthy lawsuit some time back. All they are going to do is deteriorate to a point where no one will know what it was or what it did. History is best preserved by things that were there. Memories by men fade with time, and that info should be written and handed down. But the things...the planes, tanks, ships, etc...are a testimonial to ALL Americans during that time. They should be preserved...not written off to a dump or in the case of Swamp Ghost.....tall grass and the elemnets of nature.

There...I'll get off my soapbox now,

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:35 pm 
Group Captain

Here's the link.
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/swampghost/news.html
see petition link--Kinda funny, a lot of people didn't read the petition. If you read the signatures, you will not that many people want Swamp Ghost recovered and restored. Even if PNG won't let it come to the US, I'd rather see it in the PNG National Museum than in a swamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Some people:

I won't say any names, but we all know who they are They want the planes left to rot, because they wear rose colored glasses, and think rusting junk is a romantic notion. Gad, it sounds like an idea right out of the Enquirer or a Louis L'amour novel.

Kind of flamboyant, eh. It wasn't me, I dont read those. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:47 pm 
Group Captain

A certain someone mentioned in another post that he thought all that needed for an airplane to exist was just the outer shell. Well, there's a B-29 in a lake in AK, but I haven't heard that it's worth recovering.

I mean c'mon, what's the good of an aircraft that can't be restored to at least near flying condition? I'm sorry, but I can't consider an aircraft that is missing so many parts to be worth much.

However, I'd still like to see both of them recovered.

Last edited by Wolverine on Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Swamp Ghost
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:13 pm 
Squadron Leader

Lots of people claim they own the B-17.
The PNG Museum decides who owns what and where it's going,and it's still there.
I realy don't think it's going anywhere just yet.
No export pewrmit maybee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:25 pm 
Group Captain

Yep,

Some folks have their rose colored lenses too close to their brains I would imagine. Unfortunate, because if it weren't for industrious people who take the time to put the effort into recovering these items and putting them back into at least a static presentation, let alone the expense to actually fly them, would we, or the public at large even understand what was behind all of it ? Winston Churchill, I believe, said it best. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it". And by having things such as flyable aircraft, no matter what type it may be, or tanks, or ships, or guns of any sort, around for people to know what it took to fight one of the great conflicts in world history, then the memories of WHY we fought in those conflicts fade and the reasons that we may yet fight again will come back to haunt us.

It is too bad we seem to have so many "revisionist historians" in the world. Because they are the ones who for "Political Correct" reasons will be the cause of yet more fighting and more suffering. And with the advent of so much new technology since the worlds last great conflict....the losses will be even more devastating.

As to the B-29 in the Alaskan lake.... It would be great to see it retrieved and at least cleaned up, but the cost may prove too high.

I'll get back off the box now...sorry if I rambled abit

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:12 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

OK Folks,

First ley me state for the record and I'm sorry Mick but the ownership of Swamp Ghost is stil the USAF no one else this has been establish in 1991 with a UNESCO ruling.

Paul as for the 29 in Alsk. its located on an acyive USAF base and their are some talks going on right now about haven it recovered.

RER