Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Introductions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:25 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I figured an introduction thread might be in order for those new to WIX, It will give us a chance to introduce ourselves and have the new people introduce themselves. Be as detailed as you want. I'll start off.

My name is Scott and I run this place. To quote Judge Dread "I am the law". I started the WRG about 11 years ago with the Luftwaffe section and have been adding on sections ever since. The site now comprises over 60,000 files and is visited by more than 3-4,000 visitors a day. I'm a navy brat, son of a Naval aviator (flight engineer/Plane Captain on EA-3 Skywarriors and later EP-3 Orions) so I've been around aviation my entire life.

I work in a Prototyping lab for a R&D company in Boston (Cambridge) and thoroughly enjoy creating the future :)

Feel free to e-mail me but make sure your subject line is descriptive or my spam filters might erase your message. (ie no subject lines with just Hi!)

Okay, lets see what kind of response we can get. BTW, don't give out personal information (ie phone number, address, SSN etc...)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Last edited by Scott Rose on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:38 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Alright, a few of you (very few) have met me and I'll jump in here and introduce myself to the rest of the known universe. Most folks here know me as Warhawk, but my real name appears below in my sig. I work for the Vermont Agency Of Transportation (VAOT or VTrans) as a highway maintenance worker. My first passion is antique military and civilian transport, however antique firearms, aircraft, trains, ships, machinery in all it's miriad forms hold much fascination for me.

After meeting the Colonel on the Flypast forum I came here to WIX and I have made some new friends and am more in touch with the warbird community than I ever have been before. A special thank you to those who came before me and a hearty welcome aboard to those of you who come after.

We attack at dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:39 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Craig here....Valarie and my 4yr old son Mac cover the homefront along with six cats. Our main residence is a home in a small rural vacation community with it's own airport, golf course, club pool and clubhouse/bar/resturant, surrounded on three sides by a river. This is west of the DFW metroplex.
Our other place is acreage on a mountain top in north central Arkansas. Our property is right at the junction of both runways that are being built. As soon as I can get one of my birds flying, we will be spending more and more time up there.

The normal paying job is provided by Lockheed Martin and I work currently as a Field and Service Mechanic....better known as a flight line mechanic. I cover all systems on the F-16 with the exception of avionics, stores management and the gun. They won't let me play with it, but I get to play with every other piece of ordinance that hangs on the bird. My current assignment is to process some FMS F-16's through the acceptance testing by the customer reps.

I started working on warbirds about 25 years ago when I got involved in restoring an A-26 and helping to maintain a Kate replica while I was in tech school. After graduation I hooked up with a shop near my parents home and traded wrench time for flight time. Over the years I've worked on everything from PT-19's all the way to T-39's, with lots of T-6, BT-13 and Mustangs in and out of the shop.

I currently have a Stinson L-5B that is in a slow motion restoration as well as the Fairchild AT-21. Last year I picked up an Aero Commander 680 project for a traveling machine and am currently trying to get it out of Arizona and to the house in Texas. I'm also in the process, as time and money permits, putting up a new shop building and restocking the shop. When it is all back together, I'll have the capabilty to fabricate virtually any part needed for a warbird or vintage restoration or replica. Hopefully this will all work out so that I can take early retirement and play with old airplanes all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:27 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

My name is Tim. I turned 30 this year. I’ve been married for just over 5 years. My wife name is Kelly, as some of you know. My love of war birds started with the TV series (re-runs) of Black Sheep Squadron. The show grabbed me like nothing else ever did. I knew when I was in 5th grade I was going into the Navy or Marine Corp. The warbirds on that show (flying as they should be) really decided my future and shaped it. A corsair on the bottom of the ocean would not have done that. After breaking my Father down he brought me to my first air show in 1986. I was trilled to learn that they where going to have a Flying B-17G there (Fuddy Duddy with no paint, few turrets) and a P-40E (Was Dr. Anderson’s). I was really hooked, and so was my Dad. After High school I went in to the Navy as an Aviation Electronic Tech. I was able to choose my orders after school and went for the Fighter / Attach Squadron at NAS Lemoore CA. I reported to VFA-22 just in time to jump on the USS Abraham Lincoln for a month. About 2 weeks out to sea we lost a Hornet off the cat stroke. The Pilot was killed and the reality of where I was set in. Then I was on my first deployment to support Operation Southern Watch over Iraq. My air-wing then crossed decked to the USS Kittyhawk and make another deployment to the Persian Gulf again. When I had some time I would drive all over California to see warbirds. After being discharged I planned my trip back home. I took out the map and drew lines between Air museums. Palm Springs, Pima, CAF @ Arizona & Midland, Lone star… It was great other then the wracking my car. Once again I hit the air show circuit in the greater Northeast. My last job I traveled a lot and would try to find Museums that were “close” so that I could make the best of the trips. My wife deals pretty well with my obsession that I have. Even as learned to identify aircraft, and has started to really enjoy the shows now that we know people at them and can hangout during and after them.

I don’t fly myself or really see myself going for my license. I wish I had a place close to me that I could turn the wrench or help out in other ways to keep warbirds in the air. Maybe someday the cost of living will drive me out of the northeast. Any suggestions as to where to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:07 pm 
S/N Geek

Steve put together such a great introduction, I thought I would introduce myself even though I consider myself to be one of the vintage WIX participants.

My name is Mike. I am 34, and I lucky enough to be married to the best woman on earth (gotta get those brownie points accumulated for the next airshow season) Catherine. Catherine and I took our vows in 1998. Like Tim's better half Kelly, Catherine has been following me around to airshows the past few years. We have been able to take advantage of such events for the first time since we were married in 1998 (new mortgages, new car, you know how it is). Geneseo and the YAF's are on our must attend list now and we are considering a visit to the Mid-Atlantic Museum's show in June.

Anyway... I was first hooked on airshows rather late in life in 1993 when friend from University took me to the London, Ontario, show. I thought that show was cool and it inspired me to attend the Hamilton show a few weeks later. Of course the Lanc and B-25 were there but there was also a B-29, B-24 and a B-17 which was an impressive gathering. I was hooked and I started reading what ever I could on WWII aviation and photographing what ever I could that had wings and engines.

I now working at General Dynamics in Ottawa a defense contractor in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Actually I have been with the company for over 5 years now. I am an EE and have be additionally trained in software engineering. I spend some of my spare time taking pictures of, and collecting photos of Warbirds. I also volunteer with the Project North Star Association of Canada which is a volunteer group at the Canada Aviation Museum here in Ottawa. We are restoring the only surviving example of the Canadair built version of the DC-4.

I think that is is for now. I am looking forward to reading more introductions.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:46 am 

I'll jump in. As my sig says, my name is Dan Johnson. At 22 years old, it seems I'm one of the youngest WIXers. As long as I can remember I've been interested in airplanes in general and more recently, warbirds. My first introduction to warbirds was in the early 1990's when I was 7 or 8 years old. At that time my Dad took me to the CAF (then Southern)Minnesota Wing's anual show at Holman Field in St. Paul, MN. I have been hooked on warbirds and attended every show or flyin I can since then. More recently with the introduction of realitivly cheap digital cameras I've become an avid(though very much an amateur) photographer and have managed to take literally thousands of photographs, some of them good, at local shows in the last few years.

In addtion to warbirds and photography, I am very interested in computers and have been lucky enough to make a career out of it. I am currently working as a web devloper for a mail order power sports accesiories retailer. In my day job, I write and maintain the code behind our ecommerce site. In my spare time when I'm not here on the WIX, I also write software for my own use, and "fly" around in Flight Simulator 2004. I'd love to become a real pilot some day, but just don't think I can afford it right now. Maybe someday I'll find the funds, if so I'd love to have one of the more inexpensive warbirds perhaps an L-5 or a CJ-6.

So far my involvement with warbirds has been limited to attending shows and photographing the aircraft. I did, however take a ride on the Minnesota Wing's B-25 Miss Mitchell this summer and would highly reccomend the experience if you can afford it, it is an absolutely unforgettable experience and also in a small way helps to keep 'em flying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:41 pm 
Jump Street

Hey guys,
My name is Brian. I'm a 26 year old physics teacher in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pa. I've been interested in airplanes in general ever since I was little, my dad would take me to see the air shows at the nearby Willow Grove NASJRB and McGuire AFB every year. Some of my earliest warbird memories are going to Willow Grove and seeing the older aircraft displayed out front, including a Japanese floatplane and a two seat Me-262, which they have restored and is part of a small museum there now. Just starting teaching, my 'freetime' is limited, but I plan to hopefully start volunteering (etc) at the local area museums and whatnot, trying to get more active in the warbird community.

I'm very much into WWII, as I am a reenactor as well. I am currently restoring a 1945 Ford GPW (willys jeep) and have a good collection of original GI equipment, weapons and uniforms from WWII. I also collect diecast aircraft and make plastic models as well. I'm into just about anything that flies, but my main passions are the warbirds!

Teaching physics is fun, but our curriculum does not allow for much in the way of flight, but rest assured....I'm currently trying to change that! My ultimate goal is to someday get up in a Mustang, but this summer i'm gonna try to get up in the collingsfoundation's b-17 or b-24, along with proposing to my girlfriend and buying a house! Yikes!

I'm glad to be here, and hope I can contribute to this forum. It's a daily read for me, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Brian

PS .. Mike (MrHenniger)...definitley try to make it to the Mid Atlantic show in June, especially if you enjoy WWII in general! I'll be sure to be plugging that show when the time comes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:35 pm 

I can see that it's been a while since anyone threw an intro in, so I thought I'd fill the void. My name is Brian and I live in Ohio, very close to Wright-Pattersoon AFB. My dad worked there for nearly 34 years and that's probably where I developed my interest in airplanes. Regardless, once I found out that my vision wasn't good enough for me to fly military aircraft I kinda backed away from the idea of joining the service. Of course, NOW I regret that decision.
Anyway, I can pinpoint my love of airplanes to May of 1972. I was sitting in school daydreaming when suddenly I saw a large formation of airplanes heading out of the west. The Confederate Air Force,enroute to a stop-over at Wright-Patt. A group of three "twin-engines" in front, followed closely by the B-17 with several smaller planes surrounding it. I was thrilled when my dad took me to the base that evening to see them.
Nowadays, my wife and I are members of the Historical Aircraft Squadron, located at Fairfield County Airport, Lancaster,Ohio. Though not a pilot or much of a mechanic, I really enjoy being a part of this group. In the past few years it has gotten me rides on a couple of choice warbirds, namely a TBM and PBY.
Brenda and I have been together for six years. Fortunately she has developed an interest in airplanes,too. In fact, we got married in Kentucky in 2001 while we were there for Thunder Over Louisville. We both have grown children, and currently share the house with seven cats, a goldfish and my Ball Python.
I am a Lieutenant on our Fire Department, and Brenda works in reservations for a major motel chain, which means we rarely have to pay for a room when we go out of town for airshows! And since we usually get to ten or twelve shows a year, that is quite a savings!
Besides aviation, my interests include trivia, writing, and researching the outlaws of the twenties and thirties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:08 pm 
Hi, my name is Dave and I am a 44-year old middle school science teacher in Knoxville. I just found this website about two weeks ago and am now wasting hours every day checking old posts and catching up! Since it's summer, I have time for that kind of stuff.

I grew up going to airshows with my Dad at PAX River in Maryland in the late 60's/early 70's. He was an F4U-4 mechanic (USMC) for a couple of years after WWII and so he passed on his love of piston power to me. I was fascinated with how much he knew about planes and always thought it was cool when he would walk up to a plane and start explaining how things worked in the engine. I thought it was even cooler when I noticed that other people were listening to what he had to say too.

A big thrill came a few years ago when he and I went to the Corsair Gathering at Mt. Comfort, IN. There were 7 Corsairs there and I have a great picture of my dad and I standing in front of Joe Tobul's Korean War Hero. Rest in peace, Joe.

I attended two great shows in southern Indiana in the mid-90's at Charles Osborne's place. Lots of Mustangs and all the CAF heavies too. I videotaped the shows and recently got them converted to dvd. Anybody else remember those shows? On my desk at school I have a picture of me from one of those shows, standing in front of "Tabasco", the -51 that was later re-named "Donna-Mite."

The Tennessee Museum of Aviation is just up the road from me and they've recently finished painting the second Thunderbolt. I saw it there two weeks ago. I was there for the first flight of Glacier Girl up in Middlesboro too. Total goosebumps.

Last summer I was in LA for a wedding and Dad and I made the pilgrimage down to Chino to check it out. Didn't know about the Yanks facility til then but we went through their place too. Man, you guys are lucky out there.

anyway, I'm rambling...I don't know how much I'll post here but I'll be reading every day.

oh, and I use the handle "Valkyrie" because ever since I saw the surviving XB-70 outside the USAF Museum in 1979, I thought that it was the coolest thing with wings. It was a real thrill three years ago to meet Fitz Fulton, USAF and NASA test pilot, under the Valkyrie.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:13 am 
S/N Geek

Welcome to WIX Dave! If you get a chance feel free to post some pics from your local aviation museums.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i see some of the key contributors putting their bio's here, so i thought i'd add my 2 cents & lul you all off to sleep..... zzzz :lol: i'm tom friedman of northern ohio, live off lake erie. 44 years old, married 11 years, divorced in 95 w/ 3 kids, remarried in 98 now with an additional stepson..... all kids now teenagers, :vom: oldest in college. retailer by profession, i own 2 stores, 1 marine, rv, outdoor leisure store & 1 jewelry store with my 3 bro's, 1 sister, & yeah mommy & daddy still in the biz too at 89 & 83 years old. we've been in business 45 years. i have been an aviation historian since 1972 in 5th grade!! in 87 i bought 5 japanese airplane instruments, & have been buying, selling, collecting antique aviation memorabilia ever since.... a labor of love, & the $$$$ doesn't hurt either. i have authored 3 nationally published magazine articles on aviation / miltary history & collecting. my 4th article is slated to be published this year. the hobby / passion keeps my brain from getting soft from drinking to much & watching brain damaging television!!!! i could go on but i'd put you in a coma!!!! just thought i'd let you all know a little about the guy behind the keyboard as a wix contributor. your's in aviation history, tom friedman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:41 am 

Dave,just a tidbit of info.........my dad was working at WPAFB the day the XB-70 arrived for the museum and got to see lt land. Unfortunately he didn't have a camera with him :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:23 pm 
Digital Sniper

Wats up everyone. Actually i think I beat Dan Johnson as youngest WIXer since im only 14! :supz: I live in the Sunshine state of Florida. I am in a Army JROTC class at my high school and hope to go to the USAF academy. Im even pinching my pennies to get my wings. Not sure how i got interested in warbirds but my grandpa was a photographer for the marines during WWII. He keeps most of the pics he took in a album and I guess I just slowly got pulled in. Im trying to learn as much as I can about mechanical aspects of planes so you might find me out here every day after school while im procrastinating homework(yes i know i need to get a life and learn how to spell). I look foward to learn much more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I guess not many people are doing intros, but I am new, so here goes.

My name is chad and I'm a 30 year old graphic designer in chicago. I love all things pertaining to WWII aircraft. My first airshow that I remember was in Columbus IN in '81 and I was hooked. Just started doing a little reenacting with some buddys last year.

I am also into hot rods and rockabilly. Here is a link to my band. http://www.hotrodhucksters.com I have 2 '36 Fords, a '35 Ford and a '67 chevelle convertible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:53 am 

Hi! My name is Arlen.

I was born on July 8th and this is my first post. I joined the WIX on July 10th when I was only two days old. My dad has been a long time WIXer, and I guess that I'm proof that it still works. :wink: I went to my first airshow last May, but I couldn't see much from my vantage point unfortunately. All I remember is that I don't like F-16s very much, they're way too loud! :shock: I kicked a lot.

I don't have a real plane yet, but my mom and dad have made sure that I have plenty of plane toys and clothing on hand to get me started in the right direction. My mom wanted my dad to use the following photo as nose art on his plane, but my dad refused:

I guess my dad was afraid of having all those baby girls crawling after him at airshows. 8) I've been working out you know. Just because I know you can't get enough of me, here's a photo my dad took when I was only 35 minutes old:

Ain't I grand? :D And who says there aren't any young people in aviation? :lol:

Take care for now, hope to see you at an airshow soon!

Keep 'em flying!

Arlen

P.S. I already have more hair than my dad!!!!! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next