Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: ????
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:43 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

So whats wrong with Oregon weather?
Big deal so your house falling in the river one day and a tree's falling
on it the next???
Jack who's still staring at his neighbors oak tree laying in his front yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:25 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Moved this thread into the main hanger for everyones convenience :)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:36 pm 

Thanks Scott,

In case the introductions poll/thread disappears I'll give a little intro here too.

I'm 22 and a history major at the University of Toronto. Flying warbirds is basically the big motivator in my life so its nice to see a growing number of them here in Southern Ontario.

As far as a flying background I got started in the Air Cadet Gliding Program and still spend time towing and instructing there. No better way I know of for a student to build time flying tail draggers than towing.

My first involvement with old airplanes was flying WWI replicas with the Great War Flying Museum ( www.greatwarflyingmuseum.com ). As I'm sure is often the case I joined with the ambition of flying the airplanes but ended up getting involved in maintenance and all sorts of other parts of the operation as well. Not quite warbirds technically, but a start flying old fighters. Still active with them and having a great time.

Next step was getting checked out and flying with the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association ( www.harvards.com ). I've always been told that if you want to fly any of the big WWII airplanes, from a skill/experience standpoint the big prerequisite is Harvard/T-6/SNJ time. So now that they've set me loose in yellow peril I'm trying to build up time in those with the goal of flying more old birds down the road.

That’s me in a nutshell. As a younger pilot most of those who learned to fly with me don't have any background and limited interest in flying tail draggers. That seems to be a trend, and with the number of airplanes flying/under restoration I'm hoping my early start will pay some dividends in terms of opportunities to fly WWII airplanes.

I hope to make an interesting contribution here on WIX and my thanks to Scott and everyone else who keeps it going. Great resource for the warbird types out there.

Cheers

Edward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi, SPANNERmkV here,
I was born in the late 50's listening to the Hooter going off on SAC bases.
My Dad was a B17 Pilot out of Grafton-Underwood with the Mighty 8th during the Big One!
His second mission was the first Schweinfort raid and he lost an airplane coming back from Black Thursday, the Second Schweinfort Raid.
He lost two more B17s getting his 25 in, so he did his part in thinning the warbird herd!
Joined Lone Star Flight Museum around 2001, then learned to fly :shock: in 2002 and joined every CAF unit in the immediate area.
West Houston Squadron is home base, and I sponsored their N3N-3 just in time for the engine to have to be pulled and overhauled. :cry:
Joined Gulf Coast Wing because they have a B17 in need! And River Bend Squadron where I have been MIA more than I would like to be.
In my copious spare time I'm in Civil Air Patrol and I am part owner of a Jet Provost.
Other than that, I LOVE Golden Age Comic Books. Especially the WWII propaganda books like Captain America and Boy Commandos and the Big Red Cheese, Capt. Marvel SHAZZAM!

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, my name's David McIntosh.

I'm a 24 years old Vancouver, BC "Born and raised" pilot lookin' to land his first flying job. I'm currently working in a grocery store. I've loved airplanes as long as I can remember and was always known as the kid that loved airplanes.

Through the Air Cadets I gained my glider license and private license. I later went on to get my commercial multi-IFR at Coastal Pacific Aviation in Abbotsford, BC. I also did my float endorsement (which I love, but can't afford to keep up with) and about 10 hours tailwheel.

I've been into aviation history ever since I was about 10, when I first began volunteering at the Canadian Museum of Flight (CMF) which was originally at Crescent Beach, BC, but moved to Langley, BC in 1996. I used to spend my summers volunteering and would usually do between 300 and 400 hours a year. I had to cut down from that because of Air Cadet camps and working during summers, and as a result do most of my volunteering from home.

While volunteering I've done office work, aircraft restorations, airplane washing and polishing, tour guiding, future planning, fundraising and was on the board of directors for 3 years. I am currently on the CMF fundraising committee, and my girlfriend and I are now in charge of the CMF newsletter. If anyone's a member of the CMF, you can look forward to seeing the new newsletter layout. I'm working right now to try and acquire a Consolidated PBY-5A Canso (Catalina) for the CMF, but that is hard because our museum is also in the middle of trying to raise enough money to build ourselves a new hangar.

I have a girlfriend (Marina) who's from Bellingham, WA but living with me here in Vancouver, BC. Her being American and not being allowed to work in Canada is a pain in the butt, considering her "home" is about an hour away from here, yet not allowed to work here because of the border. Alas, we're doing the paper-work which will take at least another year and a half. Silly politics. The US and Canada are so similar (in some ways) why can't we agree to have similar immigration and import laws so we can do away with the border; EU style. Anywho.

In the future I hope to fly some of the CMF's airplanes including our Harvard, Waco AQC, Waco INF, Tigermoth, Fleet Finch, SE5a replica, and future restorations. I also hope to be a successful airline pilot with enough money to have an airplane of my own.

Cheers,

David

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hi All,

I just registered on this forum..found a link over at aircraftresourcecenter.com. I'm an airplane geek and modeler (pretty much specifically 1/72 WWII) but strictly an armchair pilot. I took a few lessons some 20 years ago, but quickly realized I couldn't afford it.

Anyway, introduction: My name is Steve Nelson. I'm 42 and live in Battle Creek, Michigan. I'm single (for now..my girlfreind is working very hard to change that) with no kids. I used to volunteer as a weekend docent over at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo museum, but haven't had the time in recent months.

I've been a nut for anything with a radial engine since getting my first airplane ride in the old Island Airlines Ford Tri-Motor back in 1976.

Since I'm not a an actual pilot/owner/mechanic I hope I'm not regarded as too much of an intruder here.

Cheers!

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:53 pm 

Hey, this is the first time I saw this thread. My name is Pat McMurray, and I have been checking the WIX board for about two years now. I've had the opportunity to meet up with fellow WIXers Scott, Tim, Mike, Ollie, Eric, Dave, Ryan, and others at Geneseo (the best weekend of the year in my opinion). My interest in aviation started with my dad, who was a mechanic with American Airlines for 29 years. I used to go to JFK with him when I was little and play in the cockpits. I built all the models I could get my hands on when I was a kid. Rode my bike over to Republic every time the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds were in town. Spent two years in Air Force ROTC when I was at Miami Ohio and went on some cool orientation flights. Aircraft I've flown in: Bill Ahern's PT-22, T-37, KC-10, C-130, C-5, C-21, Red Tail Mustang, Yankee Lady, DC-3 Pricilla, HAG Antinov. Every time I am at an airshow I walk away saying that I will get my pilot's licence, but that is less financially likely now that I am married and have a baby. See ya at Geneseo, Reading, and Columbus.

Post subject: Intro
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:21 am 

I have been posting here awhile but dont know if I have posted a full version of my background. 33 yrs old, single, aviation enthusiast.

My aviation experience began in about 1972 with a trip to Palwukee airport near Chicago to see my dad and grandfather off on a business trip in a Learjet 23 (see a picture of the event on my web site!). That first Learjet visit was interesting since now I work for Learjet as a Simulator Engineer! The family made a few trips around the country to visit aviation museums. A neighbor across the street rebuilt a Stinson 108 in the garage so that was my first little (non-airline) airplane ride.

From there the exposure went from visiting local airshows in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. The CAF use to have a good sized airshow up in Denton, Texas. Dad and I made those and that is where I remember being bent toward Warbirds and vintage aircraft. Then on to reading all the magazines I could get my hands on which led to traveling to the airshows highlighted in those magazines. Oshkosh, Breckenridge, SunNFun, etc.

Started flying at age 15. Attended the EAA Air Academy up at Oshkosh in 1989. (Two weeks of aviation heaven!) Finished up my license at age 19 and bought my first airplane, a 1946 Taylorcraft. Worked at my local airport on and off for 8 years restoring and maintaining vintage aircraft. Staggerwing, Howard, Swift and other various Cessna/Beechcraft. Purchased my 170 in 1995 and had the two airplanes for two years. Sold the Taylorcraft to help fund a house. Been enjoying the 170 with alot of local flying and a few trips to Oshkosh.

A friend and aviation mentor flew some of Lone Star Flight Museum's aircraft so I was able to crawl all over those machines. My first Warbird ride was in a T-6 at Mineral Wells, Texas, then a ride in EAA's B-17, another ride in an SNJ and then a B-25. Hope to do a Stearman and T-6 check out at somepoint. Will be flying the big stuff someday!

Pictures from my aviation journey here -

http://www.dtlinn.com/journey.html

As mentioned above I now work for Learjet but have many "on the side" projects. Aviation book sales, freelance writing for magazines, web site design, photography, write a vintage aviation blog. So this aviation "disease" is all consuming!

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:38 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

OK my turn.
I'm 43, married 15 years and live in Salem, OR where I work for the local Hospital. My dad was a pilot/historian/airport bum and had a aircoupe when I was young. My step-dad was a career Navy Flight Surgeon and flew with a number of squadrons and served on a couple of carriers in the course of a 30 year career so I had lots of the right kind of exposure.
When I was 16 I moved back with my dad and started hanging out at the airport and was adopted by a fellow at the airport with a SNJ-5. Ed taught me to love old airplanes. I learned the J-Bird inside and out. Ed always said that you'll fly it better it you understand it and what it does. On my 17th B-Day he put me in the front of the J and made me fly. I got about 25 hours in the front of 54888V before I was 18. I soled a Shinn shortly before joining the Navy for 10 years where I was a P-3 crewman. I also did a couple cruises of USS Boat and served in a A-6E squadron VA-128. It's sort of funny not being a pilot but having so many friends who are!
I'm very involved with my friend Jim Morgan's B-25J Super Rabbit (currently on loan to EVG) and have spend 100s of hours working on it and flying in it. To say it's rewarding is a great understatement
It's great to have friends. I think I know everyone in these parts who's flys a warbird and am a member of the Oregon EAA Warbirds Squadron. I don't recall ever asking for a ride but have flown with most everyone around here. With the exception of a nasty cross county off the runway jaunt followed by a wicked ground loop in a 6 it 's all been fun. I have a good time by keeping my expectations at zero. I'll help anyone anytime I can and don't expect anything in return cept maybe a thank you or a coke from the pop machine once in a while. I've flown in the P-3, CH-53, CH-46, C-2, AT-6, PT-13/17, N3N, T-34, T-28, ME-108, P-51, TBM, A-26, DC-3, C-1A, B-25, B-17, B-24, Tri-Motor, Fouga, CJ-6, D-17, NP-1, BK Bird, Swift, Relient, Waco, Travelair yada yada yada. Most fun moment ewas the Fresno B-25 reunion with 15 B-25s up. Scariest was working the flight deck at night I still get goose bumps!
With T-28 at NAS Whiting north about 1975
With P-3 at Moffet Field about 1985
By Jack Lenhardt's FM-2 N20HA about 1971
With my dear friend and mentor Ed Moore and SNJ-5 N5488V about 1980
Feerless Fosdick at the controls
In the Rabbit coming home from Arlington about 2003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:03 pm 
-----------------------

We really need to add P-40 to that list this summer Jack.

JC

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:27 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Quote:
We really need to add P-40 to that list this summer Jack

I would find this quite satisfactory. :!: :supz: :rock: :rock: :supz:
BTW: How's about a P-51B SITREP and some pictures!!
Yakima Airshow about 1988 or so. Photo by John Paul!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:56 pm 

Hi Everyone

My name is Cam. I am from Dundas Ontario Canada
Got interested in aviation because of my Dad.He was named after a WW1 RNAS pilot .When he was old enough he started his AME /pilot apprenticeship at the Hamilton Aero Club Canada.
During WW2 , he was with the BCATP stationed mostly at #9 EFTS St Catherines.
Jump to 1962 and I was born on his Bday.( lucky him )
Worked on an a/c for the first time when I was 12,helping my dad recover a Pietenpol for a friend.
I've basically been airplane crazy fromthe day I was born.
Eventually worked for Canadian Warplane Heritage from 1979-1984
After that I apprenticed at Burlington Airpark. Then started my own business buying antique a/c parts and restoring vintage / classic a/c.
I've restored 29 at count)
In 1997 I went to work for Pratt&Whitney Canada , where I still work today.
On the side ,I still run the Vintage a/c business which is now run under the name Hamilton Aero Club.(I bought the name and the original Logo)
Currently I have 300 wrecks 12 basket cases and 400,000 parts for sale.

Started flying in 1985and have just under 1500 hrs.My first a/c was a 1946 Piper J-3 which I flew for 6 yrs.
My current a/c is a 1940 Fleet Finch 16R bi-plane restored to it's original condition as a RCAF trainer during WW2( see other post in this section "Fleet16 airplane")It's based at Guelp Ontario
It appears at airshows and fly-ins all over Ontario and upper N.Y. state.
It's the same type my Dad flew in the War,in fact at 87 yrs old he gets quite a kick out of seeing me fly the same type he did.
I am also very much into collecting vintage aviation memorabilia and a/c and have a very extensive private collection of Canadian Aviation artifacts.

Keep'em Flying

Cam[/url]

Post subject: Fleet16 airplane
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:37 pm 

There you go,here is apic of my 1940 Fleet Finch 16R s/n 397. RCAF# 4494.
Photo taken at the Friendly Foes Over the Falls Airshow Niagra Falls Canada 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:52 am 

Hey Cam,

When I saw the name Fleet16b on a post I had a feeling it was probably you. Now that we're in the off season I should drop by Guelph one of these days and see how things are going around there.

Cheers

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:27 am 

Hey Ed
Glad to hear from.
Off season I'm up at Guelph usually Sundays sitting in the Tigerboys hanger fiddling with airplanes.
Hope to see you up there sometime

Keep'em Flying
Cam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next