Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:48 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

If somebody wants to put together a list of firebombers with thier type, serial number, N-Number and Company then I will create a section devoted to them with a gallery that shows them in thier livery and links to thier registry entry.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:51 pm 

The first TBM/F air tanker (N9394H tanked 1954)

'FlyPast' August 1991 said: N9394H was TBF-1C # 46122

Don Downie in 'AirPower' Sept. 1992 said:....a WX balloon was installed in each...(of two wooden tanks)....to save making the tanks completely waterproof. When the doors opened, the balloons burst, providing the drop.

Operator was Paul Mantz Air Services. Crew believed to be Stan Reaver and Dick Munsell.

The wooden tanks were used 1954-57. A metal tank was installed in 1957 or 58.

Dale Nolta in a 1977 interview (airtanker.com/interviews) said:....1958 or 59....load failed to drop....hit trees....(fatal Joseph Anthony)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:18 am 

RNDMTRS4EVR wrote:
Operators that I know the names of:
Hemet Valley Flying Service, My oldman flew C119's for them.
Sis Q Flying Service
TBM INC.
Rosembalm Aviation (might be misspelled)
Aerial Applicators
Conair
Cal-Nat Airways
Globe-Air (maybe)

Scott....

Hello
I'm particularly interested in US air tankers history, and since my last trip
in California in June (some pictures there in a french photograph forum...http://www.foxalpha.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9917) I've decided to work more seriously on the subject.

With the pictures of http://www.scalefirebombers.com , the NTSB data and the ones of this site yesterday I've traced more than 50 US TBM tankers. I'm sure I will be near a hundred US tankers.
I have to extend my research to the Warbird Ressource center to have a complete view and then the listing for the US TBM tanker will be a first base that I will submit to the webmaster.
Little by little the listing could be extended to other aircrafts, but sure, with the TBM done, It's a big part made.

Some other companies that used also the Avenger:
-Johnson Flying Service from Missoula MT
-Dempsey or D&D aero spraying from Ranroul(?) KS
-Aero Union from Chico CA
-Reeder Flying service from TwinFalls ID
-Sisco from Lancaster CA
-Air specialties from Mesa AZ
-Paul Mantz Aviation CA (thanks Slege39 for the pictures of their airplane in tanker config, it's the fist time I see other things than details and drawings, there is a picture of this aircraft in midnight blue colors in the last William T Larkins book about surplus aircrafts)

-and also the US Forest Service, with N108Z in Redding CA

With what I've seen there will be new companies to add after having used WRG data.

Regards

Sril

Post subject: Fire Bombers/Tankers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:08 am 

Here is a site with a lot of fire bomber/tanker information and photos. Don't let the title throw you off. Just click on aircraft on the left side. Enjoy. John

site: http://www.scalefirebombers.com/index2.html

Post subject: thanks for the link
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:29 am 

Thanks for the link John.

Good stuff there.

Post subject: ADD TO LIST
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:08 pm 

Anouther TBM tanker operator was RIVERSIDE AIRCRAFT CO. They operated TBMs and PVs out of FlaBob Airport, Riverside, CA, USA.

The Evergreen Museums TBM was one of theirs.

Post subject: MORE TBM TANKERS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:05 pm 

More TBM tankers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:35 pm 

On the subject of TBM tankers, does anyone know what ever happen to the TBM CF-KCJ, Tanker 607, from Skyways (later Conair).

It crashed May 09/69 in Sumas WA. The damage was noted as substantial but I was wondering if the aircraft (or bits of it) still exist?

Brian...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:50 pm 

HI WARBIRDS WORLD WIDE WARBIRD DIRECTORY IS A VERY GOOD SOURCE FOR TBM N NUMBERS,OPERATORS,AND DATES :wink: .THEY COVER SEVERAL PAGES,MANY WERE LOST IN THE U.S. AND CANADA. :shock: HOW MANY STILL SURVIVE?IF YOU KNOW OF A TBM PROJECT OR FLYING PLEASE POST US A N # AND PHOTO :idea: .THANKS MIKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:47 pm 

Hey guys I have a question, I live out in Douglas, Wyoming and a while back I was on a message board (I can't remember wich one now) but there was a fellow who was talking about the wreckage of a TBM/TBF air tanker out on Casper Mountain that he had hiked up to recently. Does anyone know who this might be? I sure would would like to go and check it out as it is only an hour drive away. There was an operator who flew TBM air tankers out of Casper for awhile, I'll see if I can get a name of who it was. I imagine someone on here knows who it was.
Scott.....

Post subject: TBM Tankers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:42 pm 

I am really enjoying the TBM Tanker pictures. I am still looking for more pictures of my TBM N9569Z out at Meza Az.if anyone digs some up. Keep up the great work! Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:59 am 

RNDMTRS4EVR wrote:
Hey guys I have a question, I live out in Douglas, Wyoming and a while back I was on a message board (I can't remember wich one now) but there was a fellow who was talking about the wreckage of a TBM/TBF air tanker out on Casper Mountain that he had hiked up to recently. Does anyone know who this might be? I sure would would like to go and check it out as it is only an hour drive away. There was an operator who flew TBM air tankers out of Casper for awhile, I'll see if I can get a name of who it was. I imagine someone on here knows who it was.
Scott.....

Hi

The TBM that crashed at Casper WY in 29/08/64 according to NTSB is N7027C.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=79516&key=0

The company based in Casper WY was Air Tanker Inc.
In the more than hundred of TBM listed in the Warbird Ressource Register this TBM miss.

I'm not sure that this TBM was belonguing to Air Tanker Inc at this date.

Regards

Cyril

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:17 am 

Thanks for the link Cyril.
Scott....

Keep the air tanker pictures going guys!!!! I can never get enough of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:42 pm 

Thanks again Sledge39 for this superb TBM pictures.
The one from 58 is very interessant by the color of the mud on the bellow. E71 seems to be with an old orange, even if it was probably it's first saison as a tanker.
Excuse me Sledge I'm not familiar with triptic codes.
ONT for Ontario airport?
CNO for Chino airport?
MHV for ?

Hemet Valley Flying Service tankers E71, E72 and E75 who were in Ramona in the 60ies had the insigna of the Air Attack Base on theyr right nose, a turkey with a cigar flying with a bucket full of borate. I've seen that in Ramona AAB's hall. Someone has some pictures?

Regards

Cyril

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next