Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:33 pm 

We got our first little teaser for POF's Airshow in May. "Victory Through Air Power!"

VERY broad, but looking like a gathering of B-25's? Maybe a gathering of bombers? With Lyon Air Museum having their B-25 just about ready to go, that's at minimum 3 Mitchell's ready for the show! Can't wait to find out more...

https://planesoffame.org/events/annual- ... ion-prelim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Looking forward to it! It will be my first trip to Chino and California. I plan to be at the show both days and possibly Friday afternoon depending on how quickly I can get over after landing in Ontario. The theme sounds promising, but there will be plenty that I haven't seen before no matter what the theme is :D . Excited for more details!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:15 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
Looking forward to it! It will be my first trip to Chino and California. I plan to be at the show both days and possibly Friday afternoon depending on how quickly I can get over after landing in Ontario. The theme sounds promising, but there will be plenty that I haven't seen before no matter what the theme is :D . Excited for more details!

Welcome to CA's warbird show! I got to experience Thunder last year and it was great seeing airframes I never get to see. You'll enjoy the array we get at Chino! I'm hoping for some new airframes I haven't seen before as well...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:59 am 

A little more information. Pretty much the standard description as every year (but the B-25 being mentioned first *hint hint*). Glad to see the GameBird coming back though!

https://planesoffame.org/events/annual- ... ion-prelim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 pm 

This is going to be a very B-25 centric airshow, imo. I know several organizations/owners who have been asked to participate. If everyone who is invited is able to make it, there could be as many as 7 or 8 B-25's at the airshow. Even if all aren't able to make it, this will still be a very exciting worthwhile airshow and probably one of the largest gatherings of B-25's on the West Coast in a number of years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:21 pm 

OD/NG wrote:
This is going to be a very B-25 centric airshow, imo. I know several organizations/owners who have been asked to participate. If everyone who is invited is able to make it, there could be as many as 7 or 8 B-25's at the airshow. Even if all aren't able to make it, this will still be a very exciting worthwhile airshow and probably one of the largest gatherings of B-25's on the West Coast in a number of years.

That would be great! I never got to experience any of the B-25 gatherings a few years back and it's been a long time since we had one in CA! I would think they might get Sentimental Journey to come with Maid in the Shade? Also assuming CAF's PBJ and Executive Sweet will head over. Lewis' Russian To Get Ya? Maybe Grumpy from HFF? In the Mood from Colorado? Heavenly Body from Erickson if it isn't away touring? 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:34 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
OD/NG wrote:

That would be great! I never got to experience any of the B-25 gatherings a few years back and it's been a long time since we had one in CA! I would think they might get Sentimental Journey to come with Maid in the Shade? Also assuming CAF's PBJ and Executive Sweet will head over. Lewis' Russian To Get Ya? Maybe Grumpy from HFF? In the Mood from Colorado? Heavenly Body from Erickson if it isn't away touring? 8) 8)

I don't want to get into specifics of what I've heard, but needless to say, there might be a few surprises with airplane(s) that one would not normally expect. One thing to keep in mind, whether it is this airshow or any other one, anytime you start inviting large numbers of multi-engined bombers, that takes a large amount of money out of the budget for other aircraft. Take for example, a B-17. One B-17 would cost about as much as 4 single-engine fighters, possibly more, since they are a highly desired airshow aircraft. For the same cost of having 6 B-25's, A-26's, etc., you are effectively decreasing the budget for 12 single engine fighters - with everything else being equal.

Of course everything revolves around the airshow budget. I don't know how much money that PoF/Steve H. are budgeting for this year, or how much sponsorship help they are getting. That will LARGELY determine the airshow budget, and consequently, the numbers of warbirds they can invite and pay for. There are exceptions with weathly, individual owners that will bring aircraft at cost, for just fuel alone, but that is not the norm and pretty rare once you start talking about either extremely rare or multi-engined aircraft like medium/heavy bombers.

Any way you slice it, however, this is going to be one spectacular airshow! If anybody hasn't attended a Chino airshow in the past, this would be a good year to start!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:00 pm 

OD/NG wrote:
I don't want to get into specifics of what I've heard, but needless to say, there might be a few surprises with airplane(s) that one would not normally expect. One thing to keep in mind, whether it is this airshow or any other one, anytime you start inviting large numbers of multi-engined bombers, that takes a large amount of money out of the budget for other aircraft. Take for example, a B-17. One B-17 would cost about as much as 4 single-engine fighters, possibly more, since they are a highly desired airshow aircraft. For the same cost of having 6 B-25's, A-26's, etc., you are effectively decreasing the budget for 12 single engine fighters - with everything else being equal.

Of course everything revolves around the airshow budget. I don't know how much money that PoF/Steve H. are budgeting for this year, or how much sponsorship help they are getting. That will LARGELY determine the airshow budget, and consequently, the numbers of warbirds they can invite and pay for. There are exceptions with weathly, individual owners that will bring aircraft at cost, for just fuel alone, but that is not the norm and pretty rare once you start talking about either extremely rare or multi-engined aircraft like medium/heavy bombers.

Any way you slice it, however, this is going to be one spectacular airshow! If anybody hasn't attended a Chino airshow in the past, this would be a good year to start!

Interesting to hear about the unexpected! Unexpected is great for POF coming from someone that goes every year and gets used to seeing the same west coast based planes show up. If you're still referring to B-25's, I take unexpected to be planes that aren't seen around SoCal often. Sure that's more pricey, but worth it to see 25's that don't make it out here often (quality over quantity).

One thing about POF is their starting number of warbirds is the most of any show in the states, saving money for "type" gatherings while still keeping variety. Steve also has connections with a lot of these organizations which more than likely helps cut down some of these costs (I'll bring my planes to your show if you bring yours to mine type of relationship).

Re Sentimental Journey, I was under the impression that the theme might be more based around bombers rather than just B-25's and couldn't think of any other 17 that would show up. The cost to fly it from AZ to Chino along with Maid in the Shade might be more reasonable than trying to get a further away B-25, if in fact they want a 17 present. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great to hear about some of the possibilities! The POF aircraft and the other annual staples of the Chino show are the biggest attractions for me, but a special theme will make it even better. Personally hoping to see one of the famed Sanders Sea Furies, some of the West Coast P-51s I haven't seen (Bee, in particular) and Dottie Mae and/or Snafu. When I started thinking of a Chino trip a couple years ago, I was hoping things would work out for this year specifically because I thought the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII would be a particularly great year. Sounds like that will be the case!

Looking forward to more news as we get closer to show time!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:16 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
Great to hear about some of the possibilities! The POF aircraft and the other annual staples of the Chino show are the biggest attractions for me, but a special theme will make it even better. Personally hoping to see one of the famed Sanders Sea Furies, some of the West Coast P-51s I haven't seen (Bee, in particular) and Dottie Mae and/or Snafu. When I started thinking of a Chino trip a couple years ago, I was hoping things would work out for this year specifically because I thought the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII would be a particularly great year. Sounds like that will be the case!

More than likely you will see all of these. Dottie may be the only one not on that list. You will probably get Honey Bunny if you haven't seen her yet 8) curious if Friedkin will send anything else besides Snafu that's already there. Maybe Thoughts of Midnite will come back for the show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

kalamazookid wrote:

All of those birds are pretty regular attendees so chances are good. Bee is a very consistent participant but I have not heard anything about the state of repairs after the recent landing gear malfunction so that one may be "iffy".

I am really hoping to see the Yanks P-63 on the line. Anybody know if there is any chance of it being completed in time? It was really spectacular seeing their P-40E flying at last year's show after seeing it static for so many years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:48 am 

C VEICH wrote:
All of those birds are pretty regular attendees so chances are good. Bee is a very consistent participant but I have not heard anything about the state of repairs after the recent landing gear malfunction so that one may be "iffy".

I am really hoping to see the Yanks P-63 on the line. Anybody know if there is any chance of it being completed in time? It was really spectacular seeing their P-40E flying at last year's show after seeing it static for so many years.

Bee is fixed and flown, I believe POF will probably be her return to airshows after the incident. Also really hoping for Fang to be part of the show!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doesn't look like I'll be making the show this year as I'll be on the East Coast for business and trying to make a visit to the Arsenal of the Monarchy .. er ... Democracy event.
I have 8 general admission tickets I can't use. I usually give extras away at the gate to those who need them, but if there's anyone here on WIX who are relatively local and would like to go, I'll be happy to give you one. No charge.

PM me anytime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:01 pm 

Latest I'm hearing is five B-25's for the show!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:10 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I wouldn't be surprised to see two OV-10 Broncos flying in the show...