Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:40 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

If you follow the model kit industry you might already know this, but I have only learned it, so I thought I'd share...

With Revell/Monogram under new ownership, it seems some changes are in the wind. The new manager has sold some ancient molds that were just gathering dust in their old factory.I

Atlantis models is an American firm and will produce the kits in the U.S. (wow, what a concept! :) ). So far, they are using old box art. But they do have expanded, and I hear quality, decals.

So far, the few aircraft kits released are from the ancient mid-50s period. They include:
-The Revell "box scale"...smaller than 1/72...
B-24J and early B-25.
-The Aurora 1/48 Piasecki H-25/HUP.

The firm's website says the Aurora 1/72 DC-9 with Hughes Airwest and TWA markings will be coming as will the old Revell Mercury rocket/capsule and launch complex.

An internet modelling magazine reports the Revell Seamaster jet and Aurora HH-3 Holly Green Giant are coming soon. Also the kit of the Allison turboprop engine.

Now the reason why some of these kits haven't been reissued in years is some like the B-24 is woefully obsolete (odd scale, too many huge rivets), but others, like the HH-3, are late Aurora offerings and is better than the contemporary competing Revell offering of the same aircraft in the same scale.
Others, like the DC-9 and H-25 are not found in the scale anywhere else (there was an expensive French kit of the helicopter, but nothing readily available). Back in the day a friend took two DC-9 kits and built a great C-9 (...the kit is of the -10 and the C-9 was a stretched -30 airframe) .

Hopefully, more will be coming.
At low prices, they'll be fun for nostalgia builds for older modellers, or good entry-level kits for beginners who can't afford some of today high kit prices.
I'd love to see the old Aurora H-21 and H-19 arrive as well as the excellent AH-56 Cheyenne.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:48 pm 
Group Captain

I believe the old Revell B-25 is about 1/64--suitable for display with the old Lindberg B-17, JU-88, B-58, and so forth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I just checked, you're correct the B-25 is 1/64th, and the B-24 is 1/92nd.

I received an email today, they confirmed the old story of some Aurora molds being wrecked in a train crash, that will limit the re-release of the ex-Comet general aviation types, but today's email said they do have the molds for the Aero Commander.

With today's technology, couldn't they take an unbuilt old kit and make new molds from it?

Last edited by JohnB on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 pm 
Group Captain

JohnB wrote:
I received an email today, they confirmed the old story of some Aurora molds being wrecked in a train crash, that will limit the re-release of the ex-Comet general aviation types, but today's email said they do have the molds for the Aero Commander.

Fabulous news! I've wanted one of those for decades!

Now if they can just find the molds for the Cessna 310 and the Twin Beech. You can put me down for at least two of each. :supz:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I bought a H-25 off Amazon, (yes, I should support local hobby shops, but they didn't have any) at MSRP and free shipping, it seemed a deal.

I'm set to get it tomorrow, I'm curious about the state of the molds.
I have an original circa 1954 example of the kit by its originator, Helicopters for Industry...the folks who sold the molds to Aurora.

It will be fun to compare the two after Aurora used the molds for years (about 10 I figure, you didn't see the kit much after the mid-60s), and almost 50 years in storage.

Snake45, I agree, I hope the 310 is re-released. There are 1/72 kits of the Beech 18, but none of the Cessna.
I'm especially happy the kit is of the classic straight-tail A-C. Too bad they never made it in 1/48th.

The Aero Commander is a mid-50s example, a straight-tail, chunky nacelle type.
I've always wanted a longer, later Strike with thin nacelles, pointed nose and a swept tail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:49 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
The Aero Commander is a mid-50s example, a straight-tail, chunky nacelle type.
I've always wanted a longer, later Strike with thin nacelles, pointed nose and a swept tail.

I still want one. Got to ride in an Aero Commander to the Midland airshow way back in maybe 1995 or 98 or something like that and I've been getting to look at this beauty at CAF HQ lately...
Attachment:
RMS_3844.JPG
RMS_3844.JPG [ 213.64 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.