Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:34 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A forum search had no response.

I recall a B-58 (TB-58??) at Lonestar, when it was in Gslveston.

Was this Hustler destroyed by the hurricane flooding?

What happened to it?

Gracias.

Saludos!

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:45 pm 

Have a look on http://www.b-58.com , it says it was moved after tornado to little rock airforce base, Jacksonville, funny I was just reading about the B58 this morning, what a machine 46000 feet per minute climb !

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:22 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thank you, Alpha six-eight.

I am kinda sure it was a hurricane, and not a tornado.

BUT, this is why I am asking, because I do not know for sure.

Thank you!!!

Saludos,

Tulio

Press "1" for English.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Huster was danaged by Hurricane Ike in 2008. Water damage and wing and engine damage from banging against other objects in the flooded hangar. Later moved to Little Rock.

Better summary: https://www.johnweeks.com/b58/b58lonestar.html

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:50 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thank you, SanDiego89. Sounds about right.

Saludos,

Tulio

Press "1" for English.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Considering Little Rock was one of the B-58 bases, I'd say it in a good home.

I'm surprised they didn't keep one when they were withdrawn from use.
Just shows you how rare base museums/collections were back then.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 am 

JohnB wrote:
Considering Little Rock was one of the B-58 bases, I'd say it in a good home.

I'm surprised they didn't keep one when they were withdrawn from use.
Just shows you how rare base museums/collections were back then.

Not trying to argue the point of it being in a good home, but the article that sandiego linked to says, "The aircraft is not visible from a public location." Based on that fact, I would rather it stayed in Galveston and subsequently relocated to Ellington with the rest of the Lonestar's collection, where the public can see and enjoy it. Another plane on a stick or sitting at a street corner inside an air base where practically no one cares. I'd rather it sit hurricane-damaged in a museum than behind a fence out of sight.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am 

JohnB wrote:
Not trying to argue the point of it being in a good home, but the article that sandiego linked to says, "The aircraft is not visible from a public location." Based on that fact, I would rather it stayed in Galveston and subsequently relocated to Ellington with the rest of the Lonestar's collection, where the public can see and enjoy it. Another plane on a stick or sitting at a street corner inside an air base where practically no one cares. I'd rather it sit hurricane-damaged in a museum than behind a fence out of sight.

All you have to do is present a driver's license and proof of insurance at the base welcome center. Voila! You're now on Little Rock AFB and can go see the TB-58! That is... if you really want to go see it. Those that want to see it will make the little (Security) effort it takes to get on a military installation. For those that AREN'T interested in seeing it... well they wouldn't care anyway.

By-the-way, that entrance procedure is like that for most military installations that have museums or an air park. You may have to take an additional step of talking to the base Public Information Officer for clearance.

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am 

Pogmusic wrote:
JohnB wrote:

All you have to do is present a driver's license and proof of insurance at the base welcome center. Voila! You're now on Little Rock AFB and can go see the TB-58! That is... if you really want to go see it. Those that want to see it will make the little (Security) effort it takes to get on a military installation. For those that AREN'T interested in seeing it... well they wouldn't care anyway.

By-the-way, that entrance procedure is like that for most military installations that have museums or an air park. You may have to take an additional step of talking to the base Public Information Officer for clearance.

The bases that allow public entrance with just a "driver's license and proof of insurance" are few and far between. I've done the research, have called, and contacted public affairs. The majority are off limits unless you are active, have a sponsor, or some work related reason. The air parks are a completely different story - they are set up for public viewing.
If LRAFB is as you say it is, I'll find out later this year. It will be refreshing to continue on through the gate instead of making a u-turn.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:34 am 

Quote:
The bases that allow public entrance with just a "driver's license and proof of insurance" are few and far between. I've done the research, have called, and contacted public affairs. The majority are off limits unless you are active, have a sponsor, or some work related reason. The air parks are a completely different story - they are set up for public viewing.
If LRAFB is as you say it is, I'll find out later this year. It will be refreshing to continue on through the gate instead of making a u-turn.

Interesting. I live near Eglin AFB and have had no issue if I need to get on base (A legitimate reason). Before Hurricane Michael hit Tyndall AFB, I got on base to see their Air Park. That's two and they are not far between.

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Allow me to point out that the Pogmusic and Maradamx3 posts have incorrectly quoted me.
If you look at the posts, the comment about base access was made by
Maradamx3.

Then Pogmusic messed up cutting and pasting while using the quote feature.

As far as base access goes, my sister and brother-in-law had to get passed (and I may of had to sponsor them) to attend their son's ANG re-enlistment ceremony where I administer his oath (I got my service dress out of mothballs...it still fits...and my hair is short enough, so I wasn't a disgrace to the uniform).
And Fairchild doesn't have anything more exciting than tankers, hardly a high security base.

Not like the old Days when I was able to get the entire Rolls Royce/Bentley Club of North Texas into Dyess by vouching for them at the main gate.