Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here, a couple of shots of the JU88 at the Bodø Museum in Norway, taken 25 January 2015.

PeterA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:32 pm 

DaveM2 wrote:
The Belgian Ju 88 example is owned by Chris Vanhee, I stayed with him back in 2000 for several days. He had major sections and almost everything to fit it out, but he will never get it to airworthy, he is one man with limited funds. IIRC he has been looking to sell what he has in recent years, but am not sure how that is progressing.

AFAIK, no examples in Europe are being rebuilt to airworthy, but there are several static museum restorations, mostly in Norway.

Thanks for the info Dave M2.

So, we now have deduced there are two separate Belgian Ju-88's. So, that begs the question - what is the status of Eric Vormezeele's Ju-88?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:47 pm 

DaveM2 wrote:
The Belgian Ju 88 example is owned by Chris Vanhee, I stayed with him back in 2000 for several days. He had major sections and almost everything to fit it out, but he will never get it to airworthy, he is one man with limited funds. IIRC he has been looking to sell what he has in recent years, but am not sure how that is progressing.

AFAIK, no examples in Europe are being rebuilt to airworthy, but there are several static museum restorations, mostly in Norway.

Wow. It's a surprise. Never heard from about this project. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OD/NG wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:

So, we now have deduced there are two separate Belgian Ju-88's. So, that begs the question - what is the status of Eric Vormezeele's Ju-88?

I don't believe EV has a Ju 88, Vanhee is the only one in Belgium.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 pm 

DaveM2 wrote:
OD/NG wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:

I don't believe EV has a Ju 88, Vanhee is the only one in Belgium.

O.K., thanks for the info. I could have sworn that Vormezeele had a Ju-88 at one time a while back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There is probably one at the bottom of the Black Sea, along with a whole lot of other types, in anerobic conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 am 

Dave Hadfield wrote:
There is probably one at the bottom of the Black Sea, along with a whole lot of other types, in anerobic conditions.

There are several more various types at the bottom of Lake Jonsvatnet, Norway if I recall. Now if they will allow salvage and export.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

While never abundant, we did have some B-26 Marauder flyers in previous decades. Would love to see one fly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Please, correct me because very likely I am wrong.

BUT, I seem to recall an F9F brought back from Argentina, and I was told -never saw it- that it was flyable, and based at the Brazoria County airport.

I know that I have photos of it being removed from the shipping crate...

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

A long time ago during a tour stop in Arlington Washington we were given a tour of Paul Allen's storage hangar. There was a complete Panther project that came from South America and there was a claim that it had been flown by Ted Williams. Kermit Weeks also has a complete Panther but that airplane will probably never fly again.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I remember an article that appeared in one of the Warbird mags a few years back, about a lake in Europe that was drained due to too many fishing nets getting caught in junk, and they found a ton of stuff that included a complete B-17!

But, this was after the war and nothing was worth saving, thus it was all scrapped.

Anyone remember this article?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

These are three of the photos I have of the F9F ex-Argentinean Navy. All photos used with permission from E-M.

Saludos,

Tulio

Attachments:
Arg Cougar 02.JPG

Arg Cougar 05.JPG

Arg Cougar 06.JPG

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm 

Jesse C. wrote:
I remember an article that appeared in one of the Warbird mags a few years back, about a lake in Europe that was drained due to too many fishing nets getting caught in junk, and they found a ton of stuff that included a complete B-17!

But, this was after the war and nothing was worth saving, thus it was all scrapped.

Ah yes, the infamous Zuiderzee! There was a great article about this in Air Classics magazine in the early 1970's. I have that issue, but haven't read it in a really long time. There were entire complete airframes recovered from that body of water, but I believe everything was scrapped. I don't believe anything other than a few small pieces have survived from the recoveries.

Here is a an old VHS video about the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpAXE4WIJM

Also, a map with crash locations:

https://www.backtonormandy.org/themes/3 ... erzee.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

OD/NG wrote:
Jesse C. wrote:

Ah yes, the infamous Zuiderzee! There was a great article about this in Air Classics magazine in the early 1970's. I have that issue, but haven't read it in a really long time. There were entire complete airframes recovered from that body of water, but I believe everything was scrapped. I don't believe anything other than a few small pieces have survived from the recoveries.

Here is a an old VHS video about the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpAXE4WIJM

Also, a map with crash locations:

https://www.backtonormandy.org/themes/3 ... erzee.html

As I recall the article was titled "Harvesting the Zuiderzee".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:38 pm 

Here's the Cavanaugh F9F as seen in October:
DSC_2769_resize by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

And here's Kermit Weeks' F9F. This photo is from 2002 but it wouldn't surprise me if it is still in the same condition.
IM000856_crop by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

Might as well include Cavanaugh's Casa 2111:
DSC_2782_resize by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr