Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:55 pm 

Incredible work on the Stuka. Did Jason Muszala and team do all the work to this point?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 pm 
KiwiZac

My heart was racing throughout that video. Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to see and hear a Stuka fly, and now it's in the US and the end is in sight. Amazing. Just amazing.

Here are some screenshots I took from the video for those who don't do FB:
ImageUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Is this going to be a data-plate reproduction?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

old iron wrote:
Is this going to be a data-plate reproduction?

Looks like it, but it will still be a Stuka, and for me that's good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 am 

That is going to be a remarkable achievement. I didn't think that their Stuka would be fully ready yet, but that is great progress. I like this new openness to let everyone watch the rebuild. I would like to see Vintage V12s publish some video of the engine testing soon also.

Hopefully the knowledge gained in this restoration will be shared and get a few more Stukas flying in the future. In my opinion, the Ju-87G series is the most attractive version of the plane.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow, well done to all. Great to see this icon brought to life. Looks like a fantastic facility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is tremendous! I can't wait to see her with air under her wings!

Thank God that Paul Allen was a Warbird Nerd!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:34 pm 

Schwing !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great to see the Stuka unveiled! There is a ton of work that has gone into reaching the point at which the project stands now, and it certainly appears to be in the home-stretch, with the fully restored fuselage, wings, tail, landing gear, etc., and its rebuilt Jumo 211 engine at Mike Nixon's.

I have to say that, even though I've known of the project's existence for some years now, seeing the first video footage of the restored airframe sections, especially how advanced the project is now, really took my breath away. It is really an incredible time we're living in, in the world of warbird restorations. It is great to be able to see original, preserved sections displayed as well, and FHCAM's openness/transparency in doing so. The year this aircraft gets scheduled into FHCAM's "fly-days", I'm booking a ticket to Seattle to see it fly first-hand.

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The- ... psQssqgMzU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm 
KiwiZac

JohnTerrell wrote:
I have to say that, even though I've known of the project's existence for some years now, seeing the first video footage of the restored airframe sections, especially how advanced the project is now, really took my breath away.

Me too, John. Even though (beacuse?) I knew it was the Stuka before watching the video, my heart rate was increasing to uncomfortable levels while watching Michelle Donoghue's Facebook video. And then to see the airframe on display, in primer, after all these years of radio silence. Amazing.

I am very, very envious of those of you able to visit and see the project.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:45 am 
KiwiZac

The museum website now has a page for the Stuka: https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The- ... Stuka.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:39 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

STUKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:

Okay, I'll calm down now... not

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Interesting that the primary airframe, Werk Nr. 0875709, left the factory as an R-2.

Shall we assume that she's being rebuilt as an R-4 based on the best-available powerplant?

I'm not complaining, mind you, as I think we all realize that fate has determined what colors she must wear:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:31 am 

Dan K wrote:
Interesting that the primary airframe, Werk Nr. 0875709, left the factory as an R-2.

Shall we assume that she's being rebuilt as an R-4 based on the best-available powerplant?

I'm not complaining, mind you, as I think we all realize that fate has determined what colors she must wear:

Since it was lost in April near the Russian/Finnish border, I was wondering to myself if it will come out dressed in white. Hard to tell from the worn paint on the pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 pm 

I too hope that they do something different and put her in a winter camo. However, I think it would provide some more awesome visuals if every winter, when the temperature drops up in Washington, that they "white wash" all of their appropriate aircraft to reflect those winter camo colors they would wear during WWII (Il-2, Storch, Fw-190, I-16, Po-2, and eventually the Stuka). It would be very pleasing to the eye!

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next