Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Paul Allen 1953 - 2018
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://www.vulcan.com/News/Articles/2018/Statement-on-Paul-G-Allen

Quote:
SEATTLE, Wash. – October 15, 2018 – The following statements were released today by Vulcan Inc. on behalf of the Allen Family, Vulcan Inc. and the Paul G. Allen network.
It is with deep sadness that we announce the death of our founder Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft and noted technologist, philanthropist, community builder, conservationist, musician and supporter of the arts. Mr. Allen died on Monday afternoon, October 15, 2018, from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Seattle. Mr. Allen was 65 years old.

STATEMENT FROM PAUL G. ALLEN’S FAMILY
This is a time of profound loss for Mr. Allen’s family. On their behalf, Paul’s sister, Ms. Jody Allen, has released the following statement.
“My brother was a remarkable individual on every level. While most knew Paul Allen as a technologist and philanthropist, for us he was a much loved brother and uncle, and an exceptional friend.

Paul’s family and friends were blessed to experience his wit, warmth, his generosity and deep concern. For all the demands on his schedule, there was always time for family and friends. At this time of loss and grief for us – and so many others – we are profoundly grateful for the care and concern he demonstrated every day.”

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF VULCAN INC. AND THE PAUL G. ALLEN NETWORK
Speaking on behalf of Vulcan Inc., the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers, Stratolaunch Systems, the Allen Institute and the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Vulcan CEO Bill Hilf released this statement:

“All of us who had the honor of working with Paul feel inexpressible loss today. He possessed a remarkable intellect and a passion to solve some of the world’s most difficult problems, with the conviction that creative thinking and new approaches could make profound and lasting impact.
Millions of people were touched by his generosity, his persistence in pursuit of a better world, and his drive to accomplish as much as he could with the time and resources at his disposal.

Paul’s life was diverse and lived with gusto. It reflected his myriad interests in technology, music and the arts, biosciences and artificial intelligence, conservation and in the power of shared experience – in a stadium or a neighborhood – to transform individual lives and whole communities.
Paul loved Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. The impact of Paul’s efforts can be seen here at every turn. But the true impact of his vision and generosity is evident around the globe.

Paul thoughtfully addressed how the many institutions he founded and supported would continue after he was no longer able to lead them. This isn’t the time to deal in those specifics as we focus on Paul’s family. We will continue to work on furthering Paul’s mission and the projects he entrusted to us. There are no changes imminent for Vulcan, the teams, the research institutes or museums.
Today we mourn our boss, mentor and friend whose 65 years were too short – and acknowledge the honor it has been to work alongside someone whose life transformed the world.”

Further information about any funeral or memorial services will be release as it becomes available.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:49 pm 

Just terrible terrible news...may he rest in peace.

A HUGE loss for the Warbird community.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My sincere condolences to family and friends of this remarkable man.

May his many visions and dreams continue, and come to fruition.

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm 

http://www.vulcan.com/News/Articles/201 ... ul-G-Allen
Vulcan's Official Statements about Paul's Death

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RIP Paul. Thank you for your huge support of the warbird movement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sad. 65 is too young, in this day and age, and his vision and commitment will be missed.

You have to be especially sad that he did not live to see so many of the projects he started come to fruition. My guess is that that would be one of his greatest regrets. But, of course, that would happen whenever he passed, as he would be funding new projects until the end. It's the price of starting something for the benefit of future generations, and not quitting just because your end is in sight.

I wonder about the future of the institution he started. Did he make plans, and leave the museum in the care of someone sympathetic to the vision and with the financial freedom to carry it on? It would be said to see this became another Bob Pond story, with the institution suffering while heirs bicker. I'd guess, and hope, that Mr. Allen had better counsel, and used them.

Raising a glass to him tonight.

August

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Condolences to his Family, Friends and the Warbird Community

Vaya Con Dios

Jesse C.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:15 pm 

So sad to hear about this. Mr. Allen was a great contributor to the human race and did many things besides just restore and fly warbirds. His philanthropic efforts were gigantic and committed. My condolences go to all of Mr. Allen's family, friends and supporters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

k5083 wrote:
Sad. 65 is too young, in this day and age, and his vision and commitment will be missed.

You have to be especially sad that he did not live to see so many of the projects he started come to fruition. My guess is that that would be one of his greatest regrets. But, of course, that would happen whenever he passed, as he would be funding new projects until the end. It's the price of starting something for the benefit of future generations, and not quitting just because your end is in sight.

I wonder about the future of the institution he started. Did he make plans, and leave the museum in the care of someone sympathetic to the vision and with the financial freedom to carry it on? It would be said to see this became another Bob Pond story, with the institution suffering while heirs bicker. I'd guess, and hope, that Mr. Allen had better counsel, and used them.

Raising a glass to him tonight.

August

Like his ME 262, sad...

R.I.P.
Phil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:03 am 

Deepest sympathies and my thoughts and prayers to his family! Thank you sir for all you have done for Aviation history, Naval history and many other good works. RIP!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Monumental Loss ...

On arts and innovation...
"If you think about making a difference in the community, my family has always had a strong interest in the arts.

I’m always interested in finding ways to innovate… It’s a blend; it’s not a point focus."

On books...
"I grew up around books.

When I first held the book and it was a substantive, tangible thing, and I thought of all the work that went into it, not just my work but everybody else’s and the research and so forth, there’s a sense of really have done something worthwhile."

On optimism...
"Any crusade requires optimism and the ambition to aim high."

On existence and potential...
"What should exist? To me, that's the most exciting question imaginable.

What do we need that we don't have? How can we realize our potential?"

On failure...
"In my experience, each failure contains the seeds of your next success - if you are willing to learn from it."

On focusing on balance in your life...
"Technology is notorious for engrossing people so much that they don’t always focus on balance and enjoy life at the same time."

On global warming...
"In global warming, I think everyone is scratching their heads – are there technological things that can be brought to bear that can make a difference?"

On charity...
"When it comes to helping out, I don't believe in doing it for the media attention.

My goal is to support the organisations that need help."

On the search for knowledge...
"I am very excited to be supporting one of the world’s most visionary efforts to seek basic answers to some of the fundamental question about our universe and what other civilizations may exist elsewhere."

On moving humanity forward...
"The possible is constantly being redefined, and I care deeply about helping humanity move forward."

On exploration and adventure...
"In the first eight or so years at Microsoft, we were always chained to our terminals, and after I got sick the first time, I decided that I was going to be more adventurous and explore more of the world."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:46 am 
KiwiZac

Thanks for sharing those photos Mark, they brought a smile to my face. Forgive my ignorance: who is the gentleman between him and Steven Spielberg?

k5083 wrote:
I wonder about the future of the institution he started. Did he make plans, and leave the museum in the care of someone sympathetic to the vision and with the financial freedom to carry it on?

I don't recall which Allen-linked organisation it was, but one of them posted a statement on Facebook explaining that succession plans for all of his ventures had been arranged before Paul's passing and would be revealed in time. I was pleased to see that but not surprised as he seems to have been an extremely well-organised man.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

what a huge loss! :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

KiwiZac wrote:
....who is the gentleman between him and Steven Spielberg?

Zac, the senior gent is Arnold Spielberg, Steven's dad, who served in the 490th as ground crew in WW2. Allen, friend of Steven, decided to honor Arnold by portrayng the B-25J with the 490th nose art.

Happy trails Mr. Allen...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:14 am 

KiwiZac wrote:
Thanks for sharing those photos Mark, they brought a smile to my face. Forgive my ignorance: who is the gentleman between him and Steven Spielberg?

I'm not positive, but the B-25 is painted up in the markings that Steven Spielberg's dad flew in the war. So my guess is it's either Speilberg's dad himself, or someone from his WWII crew.

For those of us here in Seattle, Mr. Allen had a huge thumbprint on life in general. There were lots of 'public' ways he shared his wealth (i.e. Seahawks, Trailblazers, EMP/MoPop, FHC, etc.), but he donated huge sums to charities of all kinds. Some of it made public, some of it in private. I 'know someone who knows someone' who knows that he had his affairs in order so that his institutions will continue to pursue his visions that he shared with everyone.

(Edited out because someone else's sensibilities got offended)

Last edited by Speedy on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.