Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Ezell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've been off the internet for several months, so I'm very out of touch with the Warbird world. One thing I have been wondering is how things have turned out with Nelson Ezell. Is he OK? His injuries were very serious.

Neal

---Wingman Photo---

Post subject: Re: Ezell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 pm 

FYI, Heather/Chad Ezell post regular updates on the Ezell Aviation facebook page about Nelson's recovery. It is very serious. The last update was on 5/15/18. It stated:

Update on Nelson:
5/15/18

He is doing well at this facility and makes small improvements often! He had several good progressions even today.
He walked the whole hall like 150 feet with 2 therapist assisting him on a walker. One therapist is in front guiding him and helping him keep his right foot from crossing over his left foot. Then one therapist behind him stabilizing him from behind while assisting his left leg if needed due to the muscle tone. They told us he can do things but he is limited due to his tight muscle tone. So standing in a standing frame and stretching is what they do to help loosen that tight tone. He has a lot to build back up after having to heal and laying for so long.
He will get his heart monitor off tomorrow and see the cardiologist next week for those results. We are praying that all is ok and he does not have to have any afib meds from now on.
He has been eating for 4 months now chewing regular foods cut up and drinking thickened liquids thru a straw or cup. They left the feeding tube in Incase he had an issue and needed to be fed thru it again. Well, last night he got ahold of it and pulled it out! So he no longer has a feeding tube!
Next week is his monthly evaluation. This meeting will determine if he can stay or he will need to move on. We have seen good things at this facility especially with the physical therapy so we are praying that he gets to stay there longer.
Please pray over the next week with us that he will be ok’d to stay on this program
We appreciate all the prayers thus far and are thankful for the progress he is making.
Every small step is one step closer

HeatherChad Ezell
Dude-Helen Ezell
Anna Ezell Shortes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Keep him and his family in your prayers...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for posting this.
I have never had the pleasure of meeting Nelson, but all of the folks I know who have, comment on what a fine human being he is.
My thoughts and prayers have been with he and his loved ones since this horrible accident.
Here's hoping the progress continues. Sounds like his fighting spirit is alive and well!

All best.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for that. I've spoken with him a few times over the years and have great respect for him. I was so sorry to hear about the crash and injuries. Our prayers for recovery are with him.

Nelson is a real argument for helmets, even on casual flights.

I don't do Facebook, and don't even see the internet for 6 months of the year, so I miss a lot of news.

Thanks again

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm another one who has been wondering for much the same reasons -- many thanks to OP & OD/NG.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:16 pm 

Neal Nurmi wrote:
Thanks for that. I've spoken with him a few times over the years and have great respect for him. I was so sorry to hear about the crash and injuries. Our prayers for recovery are with him.

Nelson is a real argument for helmets, even on casual flights.

I don't do Facebook, and don't even see the internet for 6 months of the year, so I miss a lot of news.

Thanks again

Was he not wearing a helmet on his tragic flight?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My information is at least third hand, but I've been told that Nelson disliked helmets and was not wearing one for the short test hop. I have no real knowledge of this, but the head injuries part of his sad situation is suggestive.

I repeat that I have no close knowledge of this, other than talking to friends in the West Coast warbird community.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm 

Neal Nurmi wrote:
My information is at least third hand, but I've been told that Nelson disliked helmets and was not wearing one for the short test hop. I have no real knowledge of this, but the head injuries part of his sad situation is suggestive.

I repeat that I have no close knowledge of this, other than talking to friends in the West Coast warbird community.

Thanks Neal. I suspected that might be the case. Every time I've seen pictures or video of him flying, it was always without a helmet with one exception - the Reno Air Races.