Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am 

I know the San Diego Aerospace Museum did a beautiful job repairing the former USS Alabama F4U-7 and in the process, they converted it to an AU-1, correct cowl and all.

Wasn't there another Corsair that was said to be under conversion to an AU-1? Or is this that plane? I really wish someone would put one of the -7s back into Aeronavale colors with the yellow stripes...such a great looking livery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

When SDAM did the conversion, did they locate an AU-1 cowl, or custom fab it? I ask because there weren't a ton of AU-1s converted and I would think there's only a few cowls left and so you'd have to fab a new one, and that ain't cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:20 pm 

I’m honestly not sure how they came up with the cowling. Maybe someone here can chime in? When it was in Alabama, it was just painted as an AU-1. The true “conversion” tool place after all the damage occurred. All I remember seeing at the time were pictures of it disassembled followed by it mostly together again and awaiting paint/ final assembly. Given that the folks in San Diego have scratch-built full-scale, authentic reproductions of both a Gee Bee R1 and a P-26, I think they probably have the capability to do the cowl, not that it would be easy by any means! Here are some photos of the San Diego plane under restoration.

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=17301

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 am 

February 7th post from https://www.facebook.com/FlyingColorsAviation/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 pm 
KiwiZac

I'm not a fan of glossy, but that looks spectacular.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:49 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, the AU-1 is a re-designation of the -6 yes? There aren't any -6's anywhere are there? How close is the -7 to the -6 and what's with all this "cowling" stuff? Can anyone post some pictures for comparison? Either way I think it's AWESOME to see something different on the circuit and a -7 to boot!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My understanding is that an AU-1 cowling will be installed if one is located.

I think it looks great! It's so cool to have such a different scheme on a flying Corsair.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

GRNDP51 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, the AU-1 is a re-designation of the -6 yes? There aren't any -6's anywhere are there? How close is the -7 to the -6 and what's with all this "cowling" stuff? Can anyone post some pictures for comparison? Either way I think it's AWESOME to see something different on the circuit and a -7 to boot!

You are correct, there were no F4U-6's produced. IIRC there wasn't funding for another "fighter" (F4U-6), but there was funding for another "attack" aircraft (AU-1) or something along those lines.

F4U-5, Bulged cheeks with inlets

AU-1, bulged cheeks without inlets

F4U-7, bulged cheeks with a chin scoop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The -7 that was based in Oakland, CA '83 is now in Madras, OR it has been thru several owners since it left Oakland. It has French scheme when there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Stoney wrote:
The -7 that was based in Oakland, CA '83 is now in Madras, OR it has been thru several owners since it left Oakland. It has French scheme when there.

That was when it was owned by Gary Harris.
I also have pictures of it in the barn at Half Moon Bay airport.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Don’t sweat the shiny paint. The original mil spec alkyd enamel would have an additive if semi gloss or flat finish was desired. Often this wasn’t added. If you set that type of paint outside, within months it fades to semi gloss. Wait a year and it turns flat.
It’s really not a big deal. Also remember those lights in the paint shop are exceptionally bright so they can check for imperfections. It will look perfect on the flight line.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 am 

WOW! Love that paint scheme! Huge thanks going out to the owner :drink3:

...just another plane dreamer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:48 pm 
KiwiZac

marine air wrote:
Don’t sweat the shiny paint.

I'm definitely not, it looks fantastic! But thanks for the information: I know very little about paint and finishes. It's interesting to learn these things.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm 

Great scheme and that AU-1.. :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Saw a post on Facebook either through the WIX group or my direct feed that they've done the first engine run on the AU-1 and it sounded great as expected.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next