Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Tom Camp P-40E at Reno
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I guess I am a certifiable P-40 nut, so here are some more. In 1978 Tora Tora Tora performed again at Reno, but with fewer airplanes. This time Tom Camp flew his Hawk with the CAF. Here are some photos:

ImageR78 1 229 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

ImageR78 2 228 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

ImageR78 3 227 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

ImageR78 4 231 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And a couple more:

ImageR78 5 230 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

ImageR78 6 233 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

ImageR78 7 232 by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:01 pm 

Very cool shots Neal. P-40s are always fun to see.

Will

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks, Will. That was ASA 64 and manual focus fixed focal length lens, too. I was a lot steadier back then.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:39 am 

Neal Nurmi wrote:
Thanks, Will. That was ASA 64 and manual focus fixed focal length lens, too. I was a lot steadier back then.

Autofocus and DSLRs have made photography way too easy. I do remember the days of film. I started with a 35mm Miranda and essentially wore the thing out, then I got a Nikon FM10 and wore that out as well. One of my favorite lenses ever is my Isco 180mm F2.8. Its ancient, heavy, and the optics are fantastic. I wish I could convert my D600 to use a split focusing screen so I could use that lens more easily.

Will

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:20 pm 

Blackbirdfan wrote:
Neal Nurmi wrote:

Autofocus and DSLRs have made photography way too easy. I do remember the days of film. I started with a 35mm Miranda and essentially wore the thing out, then I got a Nikon FM10 and wore that out as well. One of my favorite lenses ever is my Isco 180mm F2.8. Its ancient, heavy, and the optics are fantastic. I wish I could convert my D600 to use a split focusing screen so I could use that lens more easily.

Will

Autofocus is easily dealt with by prefocusing. Image stabilization is something else. Even in my tripod days I rarely got the kind of motion one can capture even hand held with a good IS lens. To me, IS is the real miracle of digital photography,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A fine photograph! I would have loved to have image stabilization in 1978. Unfortunately it was 20 years in the future. I had to rely on youth...

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not to change the subject here Neal but a thought just occurred to me. I am working on an RC model of Bob Yancey's "Perestroika" and images of the airplane as it appeared when Yancey owned it are few and far between on the Internet. I am nearing the finishing stages and would love to see any photos that you may have taken of the airplane during your Reno years. Other than possibly the RB-51 the little Yak is my absolute favorite unlimited of all time, even it its current "Czech Mate" guise. However, it never looked better in my opinion than it did in the polished/lime green colors during Yancey's ownership. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have a lot -- Bob was a friend and I always admired him and his projects. My time is getting short before heading south to my other life, but I'll try to get a few up. Those folks did a hell of a job designing that airplane on the hangar floor -- it deserves to be remembered. I'll probably put some in a new thread.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 pm 
KiwiZac

Chad: there are some glimpses of Perestroika in the pits and in the air at Reno in 1992 on YouTube. I'll try and track down the videos for you if they're of any help?

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Neal, I will be waiting anxiously for that thread and can't thank you enough for whatever you can provide. I probably have enough pictures to make a reasonable job of it but you can never have too much information. Plus, there are so few really good pictures of the airplane to be found on the net. I think Mr. Yancey deserves to be better remembered for his contribution to air racing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :wink: :)

KiwiZac, I kid you not that I was JUST looking at old Reno videos on YT about two days ago and came across the ones from 1992 with the Yak. Can you believe that I was actually fortunate enough to attend the air races in 1992 but was not smart enough to pack a camera? It makes me ill when I think of all the shows I attended in my younger years without any sort of camera. Many of those airplanes, and even more of those pilots, are gone forever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chad -- I'm simply not going to have time to do any scanning before heading south in a couple of weeks. I have 2 other projects that need to be completed before I leave, and don't know if I'll be able to get them done. I know I scanned a bunch stuff several years ago but can't find them at this point. Instead I refer you to this site:

http://www.pylon1.org/articles/publish/article_80.shtml

This is an archived version of a short lived but excellent web site devoted to Racing. The article is by noted aviation writer, painter and photographer Bucky Dawson, and has several of my photographs of Bob and the airplane. This article is by far the best I've ever seen about Perestroika. If you follow the various links you'll find a nice interview with Sherm Smoot about racing Czechmate, too.

Sorry I can't do more at this time.

Neal

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 pm 

ignomini wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:
Neal Nurmi wrote:

Will

Autofocus is easily dealt with by prefocusing. Image stabilization is something else. Even in my tripod days I rarely got the kind of motion one can capture even hand held with a good IS lens. To me, IS is the real miracle of digital photography,

Ok, yeah I can agree with that statement. I put image stabilization to the test quite often. You would be surprised at how many shots I took at 1/125 or slower at Reno this year.

That is a great shot of the P40. For all the great shots I have of other planes at silly slow shutter speeds, the P40 was the one I couldn't capture well at any shutter speed.

Will

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm really enjoying the photography banter, having been shooting regularly since, oh, about 1969 or so. Today I'm in manual mode on my DSLR almost exclusively. While I agree that IS is the real miracle of digital photography, I have to add post processing as equally fantastic. Now we have our own photo labs right on our desktops, how cool is that?!

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Neal Nurmi wrote:
Chad -- I'm simply not going to have time to do any scanning before heading south in a couple of weeks. I have 2 other projects that need to be completed before I leave, and don't know if I'll be able to get them done. I know I scanned a bunch stuff several years ago but can't find them at this point. Instead I refer you to this site:

http://www.pylon1.org/articles/publish/article_80.shtml

This is an archived version of a short lived but excellent web site devoted to Racing. The article is by noted aviation writer, painter and photographer Bucky Dawson, and has several of my photographs of Bob and the airplane. This article is by far the best I've ever seen about Perestroika. If you follow the various links you'll find a nice interview with Sherm Smoot about racing Czechmate, too.

Sorry I can't do more at this time.

Neal

Absolutely no need to apologize Neal. I wish you the best in getting completed those projects that have to be finished before you leave. I am aware of the late, lamented Pylon1 web site and have seen (and "swiped" all of the pics from!) the article in your link but I appreciate you taking the time to point it out. One final thought in closing. With all of the rumors about the imminent retirement of Voodoo and Strega I hope Sherm will carry on with CzechMate for at least a couple more years as he certainly would have a great shot at the title! The little Yak deserves to add an unlimited championship to its list of accomplishments, IMHO.