Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: "This D*mn Navy" ...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:31 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:02 am 

:drink3:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:25 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:18 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Says a lot of the Fleet elements have done a quick turnaround at Pearl after Coral Sea and headed back out in anticipation of IJN activity at Midway. Promoted to LTJG, training is intensifying...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Very large entry today. LtJg Nolan's first taste of combat at Midway as the Battle of Midway begins...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:33 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The July 7 entry was promising as a long awaited follow-up to what happened to some of the folks at Midway but something was lost in transcription. It's as if the diary entry was written in another language and translated back to English using a poor web translator with a PC filter? A disappointing transcription...That, or to badly paraphrase Ahrnold, "I tink I hahv a toooma..." :shock:

DBF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

airnutz wrote:
The July 7 entry was promising as a long awaited follow-up to what happened to some of the folks at Midway but something was lost in transcription. It's as if the diary entry was written in another language and translated back to English using a poor web translator with a PC filter? A disappointing transcription...That, or to badly paraphrase Ahrnold, "I tink I hahv a toooma..." :shock:

Ahhh! It's been corrected. A lot better and a good read now. Editor was using a speech-to-text program caught mid-edit.

DBF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

So, it's naht a toomah. :wink:
This last post sure takes another whack at the AAF - I wonder what Nolan thought about Gen. Tinker getting a base named after him?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Chris Brame wrote:
So, it's naht a toomah. :wink:
This last post sure takes another whack at the AAF - I wonder what Nolan thought about Gen. Tinker getting a base named after him?

Yup, dodged a toomah bullet. Knock wood! Yeah... a common return comment that he, and the Navy in general, wasn't too happy with the AAF having the "rottenest navigators" pissing away aircraft the Navy would be happy to have to replace some of their tired iron. Or, the Admiral who commented the right aircraft had the wrong pilots at Midway. 'Course he was fair when he felt the Nav screwed-the-pooch! As for Nolan's opinion on Tinker, I guess we'll see how long this diary goes or if there are any post-war entries when Tinker is renamed in '48.

DBF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:14 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:01 pm 

No updates for the past week

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 am 

back current now :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The Christmas Eve 1942 entry introduced 2 RAF officers passing thru to be posted as part of the RAF Mission to Australia where they would note and report Japanese information to RAF headquarters in England....Group Captain Grice and Wing Commander Morse. With a little background digging Grice's visit to Australia was not voluntary. Richard "Dickie" Grice DFC(WW1), a bit of an eccentric became convinced that one of the burned-out but still standing hangars at Biggin Hill was the reason the Luftwaffe kept bombing the base. After many denials of requests to headquarters to dismantle the hangar, Grice convinced the Royal Engineers to rig the offending structure with explosives with the plan to destroy it on the next raid! The subsequent inspection of the hangar after said raid revealed the Luftwaffe was not the responsible party for the destruction and "Dickie" was found out. Court-martial ensued but Grice had friends in the Air Ministry and he was quietly shuffled off to Australia for the remaining 4 years of the war. Grice, incidentally was featured and played by Kenneth Moore in the 1969 BoB movie.

DBF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 am 

I'm starting to dislike this (drunk) guy no matter how big a hero he was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next