Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Photobucket -
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am 

You have to be $hitting me. $40 a month to be able to post images on forums? I wonder how many thousands or millions of linked photos were disabled this morning. I started moving to Imgur about a year ago anyway, time to close the Photobucket account!

Post subject: Re: Photobucket -
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I think they just killed themselves.... As it is it's been a pain in the ass for awhile. If you find a suitable replacement let me know.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:59 am 

I do think and hope they killed themselves. I've been starting to use Imgur for a while now and have been happy so far. It's faster, more stable, and no invasive ads, videos and popups.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Same here: transferred all my images to Flickr and PB can go pleasure themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:18 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I guess you can only give out freebies for so long. The ads alone must not be paying enough of the bills. I've forgotten the other hosting service that did this same thing a few years back. We'll see if those newer hosting services go the same way. They seem to have a life cycle.

I used to have NetZero when they were free too! ;-)

Best off subscribing to the WIX and Scott will host the photos, though they are size limited.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I'm looking into other options at the moment, including a better way of handling it natively. Unfortunately I have several technical limitations to contend with.

BDK is right, ad revenue is dropping across the internet. But I think PB should have been a little less draconian and greedy. I think $4.99 or even $9.99 would have been a better choice. $40/month of $399 is insane in a world where nobody wants to pay anything. PB has killed themselves. They just don't know it yet.

This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
I'm looking into other options at the moment, including a better way of handling it natively. Unfortunately I have several technical limitations to contend with.

BDK is right, ad revenue is dropping across the internet. But I think PB should have been a little less draconian and greedy. I think $4.99 or even $9.99 would have been a better choice. $40/month of $399 is insane in a world where nobody wants to pay anything. PB has killed themselves. They just don't know it yet.

Bingo. They jumped the shark. A lot of their subscribers would hang on at $4.99/month, and their AD revenue would go forward. Now, people are flocking away - they are not getting AD revenue and they are not getting the $4.99 either. If they had gone at this incrementally, they could have gone from $0 to $4.99 to $7.50 to $10.00 to $$$ over the years and slowly acclimated their customers to a pay for use service. Ultimately, they could have made a lot of money.

Oops.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:42 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Kyleb wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:

Bingo. They jumped the shark. A lot of their subscribers would hang on at $4.99/month, and their AD revenue would go forward. Now, people are flocking away - they are not getting AD revenue and they are not getting the $4.99 either. If they had gone at this incrementally, they could have gone from $0 to $4.99 to $7.50 to $10.00 to $$$ over the years and slowly acclimated their customers to a pay for use service. Ultimately, they could have made a lot of money.

Oops.

Yup, the fact that you can get your own server space for the $5 range means that very few people will stay. I foresee that the near future will bring a change in this pricing structure or some other hosting service that takes advantage and offers a reasonable plan. Photobucket is going to take a huge hit for this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:03 pm 

I actually did pay for their premium service several years ago and it was affordable. They would allow only so much bandwith for free and then you'd be disabled, I believe until the end of that month, unless you upgraded your account. I had no problem way paying the smallish subscription fee back then but they went with unlimited bandwith when the amount of ads went ridiculous. I may have considered $5 a month or something similar now. I can't believe that they think they can go from free to $40 a month and keep anybody.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:12 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I think Scott is right, opportunity is knocking! If you can get your own server space for $5/month, why pay more? Is there a "cloud" photo service already that might be a substitute? I pay .99/month for a small cloud account now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:07 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm just switching to imgur, which doesn't charge for 3rd party linking and isn't constantly trying to get you to buy prints of your "photographs" every time you turn around.

BTW, I was paying ~$5 for a "premium" account and had been for a couple years now and that gave me plenty of storage and was supposed to give me 3rd party linking hosting, but I guess that's gone now. I'll just use imgur or my GoDaddy cloud space from now on I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 pm 

Hello everyone, I just noticed Photobucket seems to have gone nuts, the photos in "Topics" Grumman, the people that made the planes 12 SEPT 2010, have all disappeared. Photobucket decided to charge $399.99 per year for third party hosting and are holding the photos ransom, so my question is where are you folks hosting your photos?? Thanks a lot for any help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I moved all of mine to Flicker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 pm 

I use Smugmug and pay about $50.00/year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One of my hunting sites has the same issue.