Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I for one won't be going now. This is complete and utter BS. I will not support anyone or anything that continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Nathan(the aggravated)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:31 pm 

I have made other plans and will miss a show I attended and worked at for many years. No excuse for not keep the public informed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I will also chime in and say that I have been interested in attending this show for the last several years, but have chosen not to due to the late release of information. There are only so many vacation days I'm willing to spend traveling to see warbirds, as opposed to seeing family, friends, or pursuing other hobbies. The shows that market themselves earlier allow more time to secure travel arrangements and choose my other vacation days wisely. I will gladly spend my money at these shows rather than Geneseo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 am 

I will be attending arrival day and at least 1 airshow day, but I live about an hour away from Geneseo. It's a shame that the website is basically recycled from last year. The writeup for the Movie Memphis Belle also mentions that they hope to have her flying in 2016. That being said, they are working hard to get her going. 3 engines hung/operational and working on the 4th (as per facebook). Geneseo needs a B-17 flying in the show; the last few years have felt wrong.

Hopefully they have a good warbird showing (and weather) for the show. I hate to see the show regress, as it is an amazing place for a warbird show, but in the age of internet/social media... you need to provide peole with information. It gets people talking, people make plans to attend, and you get more paid attendees.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:16 pm 

The word I heard is P-51 Quicksilver, Tobul's Corsair, C-46 Tinker Belle will be the only WW2 birds outside of a smattering of T-6s, Stearmans and L-birds etc. that will be attending. They hope to have the Movie Memphis Belle airborne by then along with the other based aircraft but certainly not much to see and nothing new.

What a shame. I will be calling my brother who was going to travel 800+ miles to attend and try to talk him out of coming. If I can talk him out of coming I will be cancelling my hotel room and while it is not a big deal, it is certainly a few hundred tourist dollars out of the Geneseo economy. Being Canadian, I have the added cost of a poor exchange rate on my dollar vs. the U.S. dollar and I believe I can spend them better at shows that offer so much more than Geneseo appears to be offering this year.

It is very sad to have watched a steady deterioration of what was once a great show. I suppose that all things have a shelf life and perhaps the changing warbird world has left shows like Geneseo behind. More and more warbirds owned by big syndicates have priced them out of the range of smaller shows like Geneseo. While these large owner groups and such have meant more warbirds overall they are in many ways less accessible to the general public and have spelled the end of smaller shows.

If anyone from the NWM can correct me I would be more than happy to be wrong!

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just cancelled my plans to go.... :(

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 am 

Jeff Hunt wrote:
The word I heard is P-51 Quicksilver, Tobul's Corsair, C-46 Tinker Belle will be the only WW2 birds outside of a smattering of T-6s, Stearmans and L-birds etc. that will be attending. They hope to have the Movie Memphis Belle airborne by then along with the other based aircraft but certainly not much to see and nothing new.

What a shame. I will be calling my brother who was going to travel 800+ miles to attend and try to talk him out of coming. If I can talk him out of coming I will be cancelling my hotel room and while it is not a big deal, it is certainly a few hundred tourist dollars out of the Geneseo economy. Being Canadian, I have the added cost of a poor exchange rate on my dollar vs. the U.S. dollar and I believe I can spend them better at shows that offer so much more than Geneseo appears to be offering this year.

It is very sad to have watched a steady deterioration of what was once a great show. I suppose that all things have a shelf life and perhaps the changing warbird world has left shows like Geneseo behind. More and more warbirds owned by big syndicates have priced them out of the range of smaller shows like Geneseo. While these large owner groups and such have meant more warbirds overall they are in many ways less accessible to the general public and have spelled the end of smaller shows.

If anyone from the NWM can correct me I would be more than happy to be wrong!

Jeff

Jeff, where/who did you hear this from? Someone affiliated with the museum? Or are you just going by the airshows website?

I've been asking about this on FB with ZERO replies. Others have hinted at other warbirds coming and all they get in reply is a :D

I can't base my plans on an emoji.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:22 pm 

Came from a very active member of the museum.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Is anyone still going?

Trying to firm up my plans. I was hoping for a better lineup for the show.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 am 

I will be cancelling my hotel later today.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We're still planning on bringing the Tiger Moth and a friend is bringing his Cadillac Limousine. Both are 1940.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 pm 

Wasn't there a WIXer Austin Hancock who used to keep us informed on the NWM ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm 
KiwiZac

Austin's still flying but I'm not sure how involved he remains with the museum. I'll ask him on Facebook.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 pm 

This FB page records most of the activity at Geneseo:
https://www.facebook.com/warplanemuseum/
http://nwmairshow.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry to say I have not been on WIX in awhile. Just catching up now. It would be good to know what is going on for the airshow. I have heard very little myself. I have not missed a year since 1986 but like Jeff I'm seriously contemplating not going. As a Canadian the exchange rate makes Geneseo one of the most expensive shows I attend. The hotel rates in Geneseo are seriously jacked up for the weekend. At Thunder Over Michigan I can book the same hotel brand for $50 less a night.

The past decade or more the show has been somewhat of a family gathering for us so even though the show is not what it once was it has always been a great place to hook up with friends. They have been good with me and likewise I have written a ton of articles promoting the show. I'm just finding this year very hard to justify going. Sitting on the fence right now.

I just received an e-mail about the website being down which is fine but their FB page and other social media should be alive with updates on the show this close to the date.

E&B

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next