Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:03 am 

Could anybody show me or tell me what a "Ring spar" is? Or was that a wing spar typo?

Rgds Cking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:26 am 

Cking wrote:
Could anybody show me or tell me what a "Ring spar" is? Or was that a wing spar typo?

Rgds Cking

On Mark designed and manufactured a new circumferential beam, or 'ring spar' unit, to replace the original rear spar, which allowed the cabin to be opened up through to the original forward carry-through spar.

Post subject: Re: A-26 in OK?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:02 am 

C170BDan wrote:
Just heard about an A-26 that is being restored in OK. In a quick search I turned up this picture. My guess is this is the one. Anyone know the identity?

Thanks in advance.

I think the depicted Invader in fact is 44-34104/
N99420 at Carroll, OH

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/a26regis ... 34104.html

I have several photos showing N99420 parked at a similar position and in a very similar hangar from 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:51 am 

Thank you a26invader. That sounds like a hell of a re-work that On mark did!

Rgds Cking

Post subject: Re: A-26 in OK?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:02 am 

a26invader wrote:
C170BDan wrote:
Just heard about an A-26 that is being restored in OK. In a quick search I turned up this picture. My guess is this is the one. Anyone know the identity?

Thanks in advance.

N99420 at Carroll, OH

I have several photos showing N99420 parked at a similar position and in a very similar hangar from 2002.

Well... this one in the picture I posted has the long nose and tip tanks. Also I pulled it off a web site that has a shop in OK. Anyway... that is why I posted the pic and would believe that it is 7079G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

dj51d wrote:
RickH wrote:
I believe that this A-26 is the one that broke the spar doing a loop at an airshow.

Where did you hear that it happend doing a loop? I know that the incident occured at Downtown St. Paul/Holman Field(KSTP), which is only 8nm from Minneapolis St. Paul International. I would think that for the altitude required for a loop would mean a major excursion into the class B around KMSP.

I'm not sure the photo Dan posted and the aircraft with the broken spar are the same. I just suggested it as a possible identity since I knew it went down to Oklahoma.

I was at the CAF airshow where 7079G (re)broke the spar. In fact I was right in front of this A-26 in Mitch the Witch, Bob Pond's B-25, at the time!
There were several B-25's and this lone A-26 flying a figure 8 pattern with the A-26 being the last in line.
The incident occured during a banked turn, not a loop.
IIRC the spar had been previously repaired and was the subject of some litigation....

I have a couple of pictures of 7079G my buddy shot from the tail turret of Mitch the Witch from this flight, I'll dig out and post if there is any interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

We are always interested in photos :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Warbirdnerd wrote:
dj51d wrote:
RickH wrote:
I believe that this A-26 is the one that broke the spar doing a loop at an airshow.

Where did you hear that it happend doing a loop? I know that the incident occured at Downtown St. Paul/Holman Field(KSTP), which is only 8nm from Minneapolis St. Paul International. I would think that for the altitude required for a loop would mean a major excursion into the class B around KMSP.

I'm not sure the photo Dan posted and the aircraft with the broken spar are the same. I just suggested it as a possible identity since I knew it went down to Oklahoma.

I was at the CAF airshow where 7079G (re)broke the spar. In fact I was right in front of this A-26 in Mitch the Witch, Bob Pond's B-25, at the time!
There were several B-25's and this lone A-26 flying a figure 8 pattern with the A-26 being the last in line.
The incident occured during a banked turn, not a loop.
IIRC the spar had been previously repaired and was the subject of some litigation....

I have a couple of pictures of 7079G my buddy shot from the tail turret of Mitch the Witch from this flight, I'll dig out and post if there is any interest.

Isn't the rumor mill just great... The story I heard was that the spar broke while doing a barrel roll! :roll: As for photos of the plane, yes, please!!! :D

a26invader wrote:
C170BDan wrote:

Thanks in advance.

N99420 at Carroll, OH

Have to disagree with you there Nicolai! If you look closely at the photo I'm pretty sure it still sports the longer On-Mark nose and tip-tanks, while N99420 does have an original gun nose. Also, is that de-icer boots on the leading edge of the wing? I'm fairly certain N99420 doesn't have that installed while I'm pretty sure that N7079G do. Anyone with a second opinion?

T J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:08 pm 
Taylorcraft Racing

T J Johansen wrote:

Have to disagree with you there Nicolai! If you look closely at the photo I'm pretty sure it still sports the longer On-Mark nose and tip-tanks, while N99420 does have an original gun nose. Also, is that de-icer boots on the leading edge of the wing? I'm fairly certain N99420 doesn't have that installed while I'm pretty sure that N7079G do. Anyone with a second opinion?

T J

TJ is correct. Similar planes, similar hangars, but the photo posted above is N7079G. Some pics of N99420 are on this page. Their locations do look similar, but N7079G is an On Mark and N99420 is pretty stock.

Jim

http://www.historicalaircraftsquadron.com/phase.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:10 pm 

AirJimL2 wrote:
T J Johansen wrote:

T J

TJ is correct. Similar planes, similar hangars, but the photo posted above is N7079G. Some pics of N99420 are on this page. Their locations do look similar, but N7079G is an On Mark and N99420 is pretty stock.

Jim

http://www.historicalaircraftsquadron.com/phase.htm

Sorry, yes I see I'm wrong. I was so focused on the hangar building, that I didn't pay any attention to the details of the aircraft itself. Photos are sooo small now that I run my monitor in 1680 X 1050

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

a26invader wrote:
Photos are sooo small now that I run my monitor in 1680 X 1050

Size does matter, is that what you're saying...? :wink:

T J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

TimApNy wrote:
We are always interested in photos :lol:

Here you go...
Taxiing out:

First Pass:

`bout the time they heard the spar go "pop"? :?:

Post subject: Pop in the A-26
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:54 pm 

:shock: POP!??? :shock: I bet the secondary sound that was heard was several sets of sphincter muscles slamming shut! I can imagine the thought was to quickly and very GENTLY get the plane down on the ground, and not become a smoking hole. Alan

Post subject: Re: Pop in the A-26
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Alan Brooks wrote:
:shock: POP!??? :shock: I bet the secondary sound that was heard was several sets of sphincter muscles slamming shut! I can imagine the thought was to quickly and very GENTLY get the plane down on the ground, and not become a smoking hole. Alan

I imagine you are right Alan.
Here is how it looked until it left the field to become a volunteer project at Wally Fisk's museum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:51 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

WBN, thanks for setting the record straight and for the pictures. We had heard it was a loop by the time the story got to Texas.

I've always understood that the ringspar wasn't as strong as the original design. But then the OnMarks weren't supposed to do the original A-26 mission anymore either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next