Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:00 am 

P-63C+ should have a square plate, new type

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:27 pm 

OK, time for me to jump in, back in 1983 walter soplata and I were on a road trip to Canada to pick up parts that walter had bought I was driving. We stopped in buffalo and located lots of stuff unable to take much because my truck would be full leaving Canada. Next week we were back in buffalo for the first of what would be about 20 trips P-39, P-40,P-51,B-29 parts and misc. after the first trip walter said he got everything he wanted so rest of the trips I was by myself. Everything was NOS I have no idea why the data plates were in the inventory but they were. So fiftycal? says the serial number is fake, according to the Baugher list its real, according to" COBRA" written by Matthews its real. The data plates are not plastic they are a type of mycarta which Bell used a lot of. Whats interesting is I have P-40 canopy crank data plates made of the same material. I would guess they were made by a contractor. Why weren't they used, why duplicate?? I keep record of sales I never sold one for $250.00. I do know that some of my parts have been resold more than once. I had one guy copy my lists and was sending them to people trying to be the middle man. I've been selling parts for over 40 years money back guarantee that keeps it simple. Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 pm 

i cannot find that serial on the Baugher list firstly, and secondly they were not made of micarta, at least the ones that went to war. 43-2195 says his is stainless steel, i assume his is from north QLD where it crashed not a pile on nos parts, some of mine are from north QLD to where they crashed in ww2 and they are steel/allow...the only micarta is used on things like the door placard that says "ailerons against spin". also if that serial was real why wasnt it fitted? its not like it's a late Q that got cancelled at the end of production. at best its a knock off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 pm 

Firstly Fiftycal you can't find the serial on the Baugher list look second line up from the bottom also check "COBRA" page 388 guess what. Secondly they were made of mycarta you posted photos of two data plates one relic absolutely mycarta and 42-19993 sure looks like mycarta. The mycarta has some type of overlay not paint but it can be scratched not a decal. I have placards from the P-40 exact same process. You said the fake ones are yellow once again wrong, the photos may indicate that but its not accurate after 70 plus years the white is not as bright as it probably once was. I also have a few of the stainless I believe the P-63 used those. You said you tried to buy a data plate off ebay for $250.00 but the seller would not ship it to you this whole thing sounds like sour grapes to me. The fellow I bought the parts from had two warehouses in the Buffalo area and during the war worked for Bell aircraft, the war ended, his job ended he went into the surplus business. Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 pm 

firstly its Micarta not Mycarta, secondly the plates off the plane are stainless and the old originals go SILVER where the white comes off not yellow. i will settle this when i can find the proper drawing just to show material spec, but the genuine aircraft plates are a type of steel, 25+ crashed here and have been souvenired yet the only plastic ones around have never been fitted to a plane and apparently came from you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:04 am 

another reason this is fake, at least in the 39C/D the serial number should be a c/n like 15-318 not the usaaf number which goes on the usaaf data plate

and lastly: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8554

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:14 pm 

Firstly its mycarta not plastic as you claim, now I understand you take a stainless data plate and paint it then you take the paint off and its SILVER! huh. I'm waiting for your proper drawings to show up. Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:41 am 

are you smoking crack spencer? "Micarta" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic

where is the white?

they are stainless steel, how about not posting in my thread again? even better mod can you close it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:42 am 

btw its acid etched steel, but you probably don't know what that is either :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08 am 

Nice, I have originals of both, they are not for sale. If you search for the P-38 rudder trim placard on ebay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:01 pm 

Fiftycal, I got involved because you accused project warbird of buying a particular data plate off ebay I knew that was a lie because he got it from me many years ago when he was here to pick up P-40 parts. I use mycarta because micarta is a "registered trademark" know what that means. I've only made few posts on WIX which I do enjoy. So I'm not going to make this my lifes work I have too many other things to do. Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:46 am 

this was on ebay maybe i got serials confused and its not the same one, i cant tell as hes removed it http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1942-Vintage ... true&rt=nc

but this one is at least another fake.

how are all of these plates out there having never been fitted to aircraft? are you making them spencer?

PS... micarta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:58 am 

Here is the data plate I bought from Bob many years ago.

As you can see fiftycal, it isn't the one on eBay. Looking through the Baugher web site lists, you will see that the serial numbers on these plates are in gaps that the serial numbers where not used or contracted for USSR. Yes this would make it easy for someone to use these serials to make fake plates. The fact that Bob bought these plates so many years ago, back when it wouldn't of been worth the effort to make fake plates for the P-39. Or any Warbird. If you have ever worked in a factory you would know that work orders come through and you make parts and then the job gets canceled. That happens all the time. I can only imagine how it was back during WWII in a factory. These plates probably where made for contracts that where canceled. They stuck them in a box on the shelf and Bob bought them years later out of the Buffalo warehouse.

Eric Miller
Project Warbird Salvage/Museum
http://www.projectwarbird.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 am 

highy unlikely the soviets took anything and everything especially early on they wouldnt be cancelling orders. they are fakes and the real ones ARE steel like every other data plate on the P-39, the only micarta stuff is for plaques like spin instruction and landing gear operation.

see the difference?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm 

ImageImage
fiftycal your quote "all P-39 data plates are steel" see what I pulled out of the P-39 inventory 86 mycarta data plates and 3 metal in a parts bag. The photo shows both front and back of the data plates. Also a photo of the P-39 and P-40 data plates the exact same mycarta process same color same thickness. That says same contractor made them. Bob

Last edited by spencerat6 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next