Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:45 pm 

anyone know what happened, seems just a couple of hours ago, if i am reading the report correctly

http://www.wafb.com/story/26739704/single-engine-plane-runs-off-runway-at-baton-rouge-airport?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:14 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

soko121 wrote:
anyone know what happened, seems just a couple of hours ago, if i am reading the report correctly

Looks like they wanted a easy way to clean the underside, but they could have picked a better place to do it.

Most likely had a brake lock up or the pilot landed long and got on the brakes too had, other than engine and prop, minor damage,

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:30 am 

Not that I trust the media, but "abort the flight" makes me think of taking off rather than landing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Boy these Flug Werk 190s have not been keeping a good track record. How many incidents have we seen so far? Got to be like five or six individual events. Glad to see the event was minor. Hope to see this 190 back up and flying soon.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Looks like it ran off the end of the runway into crushed stone which is designed to sink into and slow an A/C. Probably what put it up on the nose.
Visible prop blades show little or no damage so engine probably either had quit or was shut off.
Flaps are up so maybe an aborted take off?
Glad the pilot was uninjured and sorry to see the A/C damaged but looks pretty minor.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:00 pm 

Yeah she's in the EMAS (Engineered Materials Arresting System). It's frangible concrete, you can walk on it but anything heavier and it starts to break up and clutch at the wheels of a runaway plane until it stops. EMAS is designed and calibrated for a certain size and speed of plane (ours is a 727 at 70 kts). Stuff has an amazing fatality prevention rate--only recorded injury to an airliner that hit one was when a flight attendant sprained her ankle jumping out of a plane that stopped in one.

But it isn't designed for high-legged traditional gear planes. I'd guess something happened on takeoff and he was just along for the ride once he ran out of runway. EMAS is designed to be really thin at the start, then get progressively thicker, so once the plane slowed down she just tipped up.

Glad he's ok, and the plane will definitely be fly able.

-Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:16 pm 

Punisher05 wrote:
Yeah she's in the EMAS (Engineered Materials Arresting System). It's frangible concrete, you can walk on it but anything heavier and it starts to break up and clutch at the wheels of a runaway plane until it stops. EMAS is designed and calibrated for a certain size and speed of plane (ours is a 727 at 70 kts). Stuff has an amazing fatality prevention rate--only recorded injury to an airliner that hit one was when a flight attendant sprained her ankle jumping out of a plane that stopped in one.

But it isn't designed for high-legged traditional gear planes. I'd guess something happened on takeoff and he was just along for the ride once he ran out of runway. EMAS is designed to be really thin at the start, then get progressively thicker, so once the plane slowed down she just tipped up.

Glad he's ok, and the plane will definitely be fly able.

-Brandon

That is an excellent explanation! Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:50 pm 

You're quite welcome my friend. I did part of my master's thesis on them, so I became an unwilling expert!

-Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow, such excellent stuff! Pilot OK (hate to see a plane pranged but pilot OK makes it OK), and learned about EMAS. 8)

:drink3:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:18 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
Boy these Flug Werk 190s have not been keeping a good track record. How many incidents have we seen so far? Got to be like five or six individual events. Glad to see the event was minor. Hope to see this 190 back up and flying soon.

According to thier website, this is actually a restored original Focke Wulf, albeit with a Russian engine and some support from Flug Werk.

SN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:52 pm 

Steve Nelson wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:

According to thier website, this is actually a restored original Focke Wulf, albeit with a Russian engine and some support from Flug Werk.

SN

I believe it's a FlugWerk fuselage with restored original wings and maybe a few original parts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Flugwerk aircraft with some minor original parts and data plate from a crashed aircraft.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:57 am 

DaveM2 wrote:
Flugwerk aircraft with some minor original parts and data plate from a crashed aircraft.

From what I heard, the samething was done with the French one : a few part of the tailwheel came from an original Fw190, but without the dataplate.

No to be sarcastic, but at the start of the FW190, one of the argument was "new planes are more reliable than 70 years old ones". humm...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:10 am 

Iclo wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:

From what I heard, the samething was done with the French one : a few part of the tailwheel came from an original Fw190, but without the dataplate.

No to be sarcastic, but at the start of the FW190, one of the argument was "new planes are more reliable than 70 years old ones". humm...

The initial 12 Flugwerk replicas were all given wartime original tail wheel units that had been found in storage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:03 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was never clear on the whole Flugwerk thing, and/or the origins of the FW 190's that are out there today, wonder if one of you knowledgeable sorts could kindly give a brief overview of the story? I'm on the road at present and have no time to research it myself.

And is it Flug Werk or Flugwerk? FW190, FW 190, or FW-190?

Thanks!

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway