Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fighter Factory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:03 pm 

Quote:
There is something missing from this. He's shutting down the AIM's too. It would seem logical that one might go, not the other.

Logical assumption.

As a journalist-in-training, I can tell you that the writer that covered the article was very lucky to A) get an interview with Jerry Yagen and B) have Yagen divulge the amount of information that he did.

Depending on the relationship that the journalist has with Mr. Yagen (strong working relationship vs. first time having met the guy...), there is a time and a place for pressuring your sources for more information. When a guy that you may have never met is possibly gearing up for the sale of the century, common sense tells us that you aren't going to go gung-ho with your questions about why he's doing what he's doing.

In addition, since the museum has been funded largely through admission income, private donations and the personal pocketbook of Mr. Yagen (privately is where I'm going here folks...), not a single person had to open up to anyone about what was actually happening here. Mr. Yagen was very gracious in releasing even that much information to the writer of the article.

Now, if the museum were being funded with government money (read: public monies), journalists would have had much more free reign with their questions and could have tracked the funds to find out where/what went wrong and why everything is unfolding the way that it is.

The point here is, is that although the article is vague, I wouldn't count on much more detailed information coming from "mainstream media" or the museum itself. If individuals that work for the MAM/Fighter Factory decide to divulge specific information to us, that will probably be on their own accord.

That being said, the best indicator of what's happening from now on at the museum will be when certain people who frequent both these forums and the museum itself report back to us with posts pertaining to "Saw the Corsair depart today for..." and "The Mustang is heading to her new home in..."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:17 pm 

And so the old saying is once again proven true- "If you aspire to having a small fortune- Start with a large fortune and take up Warbirding as a hobby."

While he may be devesting, the mark he left will be here for a long time to come and to that we are eternally gratefull.

Steve -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mr. Yagen,

On behalf of the warbird community and as the son of a P-47 and P-38 pilot, 60th FS, 33rd FG, CBI, I want to thank you for your extreme generosity as a curator of our historic aircraft for the many years.

Your enthusiasm and love and huge financial investment in these treasures is the dream for so many. You have made it possible for thousands of people to see, touch, and experience the tools our "Greatest Generation" used to defend our freedom.

Thank you Sir. We wish you the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:20 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I seem to remember that when this collector first arrived on the scene, he was lambasted on this very forum as being an opportunist, taking advantage of the student loan money being handed out freely to train A&P mechanics and was all but accused of being a ripoff artist. Now it seems he is revered, just as he has either sold or is closing his schools, and is now selling off the collection. My how times change!

Has the house of cards folded, financially speaking? This closure/asset sale sure seems sudden and all-encompassing. I wonder if anything at all will be retained for private usage, or is this an asset forfeiture, a legal proceeding of some sort?

I don't know any of the people involved, but I sure looked forward to visiting the museum some day. Sounds like they had a great facility and and many of the planes flew regularly.

You never know about these things though. Perhaps the dispersal of the aircraft will be a good thing in the long run. We might even get to see some of them on the west coast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:48 am 

quite a surprise, Yagen had projects being worked on in 5 continents, I do wonder what will happen to ongoing work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am 

Dave can you expand on the 5th continent project(s) ? Or maybe what you mean exactly by "project" ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 am 

I think that regardless of whatever happened, it takes deep pockets to be able to have someone rebuild an aircraft from rotted or corroded airframes, or to just have them built outright from scratch. There are only a couple of people who can afford to do this on the scale that he was doing it, and his collection grew exponentially and extremely quickly over the last few years. I'd never seen such a collection amass in such a short period of time. I recall when I was stationed at NS Norfolk back in 2000, walking into the hobby shop on base, and there was a flyer on the wall asking for volunteers to help rebuild the P-40, Hawker Hurricane, and Spitfire. I didn't respond only because it was a couple of towns over in Suffolk, and as an "E nothing", I barely had enough money to drive off base, let alone the gas money to get there.
Mr. Yagen brought a plane that I grew up around up in Nashua, NH, back to the States: His P-51, "Double Trouble Two." He and his maintenance crews kept them flying, or returned them to flight. That's something to be said.
I have heard rumors of exactly what happened on other pilot forums, and I've speculated on here a bit, but in the end, there are more warbirds still flying and back in the US because of his contributions.
I think it's terrible that people's livelihood have been lost or compromised due to whatever exactly happened with his finances. That's a shame, and I hope they land on their feet.
I say in the end, Thank you, Jerry Yagen, for keeping them flying, regardless if the rumors are true.
I suppose that the old saying is true: You never really and truly own a warbird, you just become the caretaker for a period of time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 am 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34630&start=15

I basically got run out of town by some people on this forum for mentioning what was up but looks like the chickens have come home to roost.

Hate to see the end of such a great flying collection though. I always admired and respected Mr.Yagen for that aspect of his activities.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have nothing but praise for everyone involved in this entire organization, from the top on down to the volunteer in the parking lot. Absolutely a top notch facility and collection and where access to the planes has always been outstanding. Letting a kid sit in a "brand new" Mosquito? Top notch.

I hope for the best for all, thank you so much.

-Dave Pugh, Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 am 

Crappy news to hear. That place is fantastic.

On these forums, it seems everybody wants to be first to the party with the latest info and rumors and mis-information thus abounds.

I think when all is said and done, it will still be standing and the MAM will go on. Let's just stand back and see.

Bottom line, these aircraft will still be flying regardless of who owns the airworthiness cert and that's a good thing for aviation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Does anyone know how much longer the museum will be open?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

AFWhite wrote:
Crappy news to hear. That place is fantastic.

On these forums, it seems everybody wants to be first to the party with the latest info and rumors and mis-information thus abounds.

I think when all is said and done, it will still be standing and the MAM will go on. Let's just stand back and see.

Bottom line, these aircraft will still be flying regardless of who owns the airworthiness cert and that's a good thing for aviation.

All due respect but....you may be a victim of wishful thinking. Some of the buyers may have the money to buy the a/c but not necessarily to fly it. Think of how many aviation museums there are around the US and other countries that have a remarkable collection that never flies.

Mudge the pessimist

ps. Patrick...I don't think anybody here "knows". I think these posts are about 99% speculation/wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:

The Military Aviation Museum posted two new events for later in June and July on their Facebook page today:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pag ... ion=stream
The June event boasts a flight by the Hurricane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbirdnerd wrote:
Pat Carry wrote:

The Military Aviation Museum posted two new events for later in June and July on their Facebook page today:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pag ... ion=stream
The June event boasts a flight by the Hurricane.

Found the one for June...Couldn't find anything for July. (Keep in mind that I'm "computerly illiterate". :oops:)

Mudge the befuddled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
MudgeFound the one for June...Couldn't find anything for July. (Keep in mind that I'm "computerly illiterate". :oops:)

Mudge the befuddled

Here is the text from their Facebook account on the July Event
Quote:
The MAM will host its second-annual “Warbirds and Wings” Aviation Summer Day Camp, July 15-19, 2013.

Your child will learn the fundamentals of flight: how factors such as lift, drag, thrust and weight affect flight, as well as a brief history of aviation from one of the Museum’s own pilots. Campers will put their new-found knowledge to the test by building and flying their own gliders and model airplane, and by applying a little science to the construction and launch of their very own model rockets.

Ground crew training, education on the important safety measures and hand signals required to handle aircraft on the ground will also be a part of the agenda. Children will enjoy 2 field trips, one to Langley Air Force Base, and the other to the Museum’s own Fighter Factory. The final day will feature a picnic, with games and prizes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next