Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am 

Going to loose 32 aircraft.
May need to copy and paste after :
Click here: Museum of Aviation dropping 32 aircraft | Houston & Peach | Macon.com

http://www.macon.com/2013/03/23/2409298 ... ng-32.html

Quote:
WARNER ROBINS -- For the first time in its 29-year history, the Museum of Aviation is downsizing.

The museum is getting rid of 29 planes and three missiles, which is about a third of its total collection.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/03/23/2409298 ... rylink=cpy

MOD edit for clarity...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 am 

here is the list of aircraft/missiles:

Leaving museum

The following planes are being removed from the Museum of Aviation collection:
B-52D Stratofortress
WB-57F Canberra*
RB-69A Neptune
C-60A Lodestar
C-119C Flying Boxcar
EC-121K Constellation
C-130H(YM) Credible Sport*
EC-135N Stratotanker
F-84E Thunderjet
F-86H Sabre*
F-89J Scorpion
F-94A Starfire*
F-100F Super Sabre
RF-101C Voodoo
F-101B Voodoo
F-104A Starfighter*
F-105G Thunderchief
F-4C Phantom
TH-13M Sioux*
HH-34J Choctaw
HH-43A Huskie
TG-4A Yankee Doodle
AT-11 Kansan
T-28A Trojan
T-38A Talon
T-39A Sabreliner
U-4 Aero Commander*
X-25A Gyro-copter
BAE MK53 Lightning*

Missiles being removed:
CGM-13 Mace*
GTD-21B
AGM-28B Houndog

*Already removed

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/03/23/2409298 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Well, thanks to our government. I've said it before that museums and aircraft will have little importance anymore and the article states that there is no idea what to do with the aircraft yet. Hopefully go to other museums but some might be cut up too. Im trying to keep my thoughts from becoming political but its becoming hard to do anymore. My gears are grinding...... :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I know the YMC-130H "Credible Sport" is being taken apart and sent off to ABDR training. A sad end for a uniquely modified Herc.

Hope that's not symptomatic of what's going to happen with the rest of the planes...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Apparently they plan on scrapping Schwarzkopf's EC-135N Stratotanker which was his transport during Desert Storm. That will be an unfortunate loss. I think that will be regretted someday...

Last edited by APG85 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 am 

It makes no sense to cut them up because u cant afford them let um rot where they are and hope the gov get off their backsides(both party's) and actually gets something done for once besides sending foregin aid which should be redirected to our own nation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:06 am 

Are they cutting up the ec-121

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did I miss something? :roll: If the original post had been twice as long it could be called 'cryptic'. I wore out my High School graduation issued crystal ball years ago and just a weeeeee bit more backstory would be welcomed, basic stuff like Who, What, Where, When-standard stuff that should be in a story. :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 am 

davidwomacks wrote:
It makes no sense to cut them up because u cant afford them let um rot where they are<rant omitted>
If the intent is to keep operating as a viable museum with public access, you can't just "let them rot".

It is a shame, it's a great museum but almost entirely a postwar collection and the only really rare item is the RB-69.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 am 

This is a very sad day indeed for the Aviation Museum.

A few comments from the viewer side: The article gives the impression that the director is downsizing the collection in the museum by scrapping loaned aircraft that cannot be kept in pristine condition because of a reduction in paid staff. The photo of the director pointing to corrosion as "rust" on a B-52 shows he has no real understanding of aircraft that are stored outside on long term display.
Why are people placed in positions of management in museums who have no understanding of museums? I visit museums often and find few that maintain the aircraft in their collections in perfect condition. The museum could maintain the aircraft with the help of volunteers and reduced expectations of aircraft condition. The director provides no vision for the museum in the article other than wanting to add a B-17. All of the aircraft in the list could be given to other museums that would be required to move at their own expense. Scrapping the aircraft on site or behind closed gates at AMARC is a very short sighted outcome for the aircraft. Many of the aircraft on the list are being made like the B-17, unobtainable.

:(

cadet77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

WallyB wrote:

It is a shame, it's a great museum but almost entirely a postwar collection and the only really rare item is the RB-69.

Maybe not rare now, but in the future they will be...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bad news indeed but it wont be the last of this type of activity. :( :( As time marches on many other planes on display outside across the US will be scrapped. Interesting the museum wants to obtain a B-17. That needs to happen before many of those are scrapped also.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

WallyB wrote:
davidwomacks wrote:
It makes no sense to cut them up because u cant afford them let um rot where they are<rant omitted>
If the intent is to keep operating as a viable museum with public access, you can't just "let them rot".

The B-57F is pretty unique, as is/was the Credible Sport C-130.

I find it ridiculous that the museum would have its B-52 (for example) destroyed, given that the aircraft is in reasonable display condition. Certainly, if it was falling apart and a danger or an embarassment to the museum, drastic measures might be necessary, but that isn't the case. I'm sure the situation is similar for many of the other aircraft.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wasnt the B-52 on display at AMARC recently cut up as well?

Last edited by Pat Carry on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

davidwomacks wrote:
Are they cutting up the ec-121

God, I hope not. Volunteers having been working hard over the past few years to restore the interior. I have a bad feeling that the vast majority of these aformentioned aircraft being released by the museum will be scrapped especially the ones going to AMARC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next