Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Aircraft fire in China
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:42 pm 

>
> This Video shows a China Airlines Boeing 737-800 on fire at a Chinese airport somewhere.
>
> Note the brave pernson (perhaps a crew member) trying to fight the engine fire with a fire extinguisher trying to buy time for all the passengers to escape (you can see them exiting from the rear escape slide). He gets away just in time before the whole thing blows.
>
> The video lasts almost 4 minutes ( the fire is well underway before the filming started)
> The delayed response by fire fighters is a bit puzzling.
>
>
> http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=47e9f779ecf9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The guys in the lower left at 1:22 act so nonchalant, I think he even shrugs. "Aircraft fire? Meh." :shock:

There's a take-off at 2:47 in the upper left-hand corner. I assume that normally when there's a fire like this, take-off's are halted.

I thought I remembered seeing something similar somewhere else before: Raw Video of Plane Exploding As Passengers Flee (This video is a good deal more amazing.)

The Wikipedia article on the accident: China Airlines Flight 120 - Wikipedia

Finally, I think this thread should go in the General Aviation subforum. Not that it's necessarily in the wrong place here.

EDIT: So apparently I missed the fact that the original Live Leak video included the initial explosion as well. Guess that's what I get for skimming through both the post and the video. :oops:

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The incident took place a couple of years ago and the cause turned out to be FOD of one sort or another (I've heard a bolt/nut left in the slat track can) or a rock in the same place. In any case the slat tracks on 737's retract into sealed recesses (cans is the common term used) which are immersed in the wing fuel tank area. There isn't much room between the ends of the 'I' beam curved track and the ends of the cans with slats up. Whatever the debris was it punched a hole in the track can end and fuel flowed out, down the lower leading edge panels and onto the still really really hot dinosaur processor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:27 pm 

A buddy sent me the follow up to the fire investigation. Just in case it hasn't been posted be. Amazing what one washer can do.

PC

Links:
------
[1]
http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ChinaAirlines120/ChinaAirlines120_Downstop_pop_up.htm
[2]
http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ChinaAirlines120/ChinaAirlines120_Evacuation_pop_up.htm