Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Everything has to be somewhere and Hawker Tempest Mk II S/N MW404 is now in Texas.

This former Indian Air Force Air Frame (Complete with Pakistani bullet holes) is being restored to airworthy by new owner Chris Miller.

His website is http://www.warbirdrebuild.com

Chris is looking for volunteers and donations. I volunteered to post this thread after a delightful afternoon of scrubbing dirt off of fasteners, spritzing penetrating oil on whatever looked like it was going to come off the airplane and even washing some genuine Indian dirt off of panels and the pilot's seat.

Contact Chris via the website information.

I will keep updates coming as time allows.

SPANNER the glutton for projects

Last edited by SPANNERmkV on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Until my camera gets repaired I am going to have to snag some pictures from the webiste:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I see that the Brits never did learn how to weld, look at those tubing joints, just like the hurricane :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Stoney wrote:
I see that the Brits never did learn how to weld, look at those tubing joints, just like the hurricane :lol:

Don't worry Stoney, as you and Chris well know, the answer is to just weld the joints! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1717&p=12167&hilit=Weld#p12167

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 am 

Quote:
see that the Brits never did learn how to weld, look at those tubing joints, just like the hurricane

They had a "0 welds" policy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I have a zero weld policy as well. If you've even seen my welding you'd know why...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 pm 

Something just doesnt seem right. If talk is about an airworthy restoration and dis-assembly has begun, I see no holding fixtures let alone any equipment in the photos that even suggest that an airworthy restoration is capable. Are you cataloging parts removed by P/N and location so when ( and trust me it will happen) people leave the project , the next guy isnt scratching his head and spending countless hours trying to figure out where things go? Am I missing something? Do you even have any drawings/manuals that can help you locate and verify datum points? The assumption the airframe is straight (looking at the photos it appears to be), isnt a sound practice when restoring an aircraft. There was obvious enough money used to purchase this project, but please tell me there was at least enough more to fund the basic set up costs of a restoration?Do you even funding to do the basic of making an holding fixture? Do you even have a welder? ( I shudder when reading the talk about welding the tube structure on that previous thread). To start on a major restoration to AIRWORTHY condition the simple basics to me have not even been met yet. My personal experience that starting from ground zero you will need at least 100k before you should even start touching the plane with a tooth brush and soap. Please tell me there is more to this than meets the eye.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm 

If it's at an airshow, it really will be there and not something painted up to look like it. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm 

That is your response? I take it you haven't got a clue what to do or how to go about doing this restoration do you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

IT looks great. It takes a lot of of cujones' to purchase a warbird project. I'm no expert, but do have a couple of thoughts. Get in touch with Nelson Ezell and anyone else that has experience on these and Sea Furies. 2) get all the proper manuals for your exact type of Temepest. 3) Start building a "wanted list" of items missing or needed to get the airplane flyable. You may get lucky and find an aileron for example, cheaper than you can repair what's on the aircraft.
Last, please don't disassemble it into millions of unmarked, unlabeled pieces. This increases the difficulty immensely for a restoration artist and costs more time to study the blueprints and sometimes they aren't that clear.
Whatever, your skill level and budget, there's tons of easy stuff to get started on.
It will be a thrill to see this Tempest in the air!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
I have a zero weld policy as well. If you've even seen my welding you'd know why...

If you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express I'm sure it would be just fine Brandon :D

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:52 pm 

Hey:

I really appreciate all the advice from the experts. When I sit down to watch a ball game I am an expert! I do my part! Especially with the popcorn! :)

Last edited by HawkerTempestMKII on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That is a cool project my hat's off to you. I had no idea the Tempest had the tube frame construction like the Hurricane. Very rare aircraft. Was the Fury the first fighter Hawker built that moved past the tube frame style of construction? Best of luck with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 pm 

You will need it :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:15 pm 
KiwiZac

HawkerTempestMKII wrote:
Hey:

I really appreciate all the advice from the experts. When I sit down to watch a ball game I am an expert! I do my part! Especially with the popcorn! :)

Wow. That's an interesting response.

pop2

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22