Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awhile back we were discussing the location of surviving Lockheed F-94s.
Someone posted photos of a F-94 in a city park/playground...the jet is long gone and there are questions where it went (whether it wentto the MINN ANG Musuem or somewhere else.

I emailed the Duluth Parks and Rec Dept. and got a very nice rely...

"Other staff told me that the plane that was located at our Memorial Park was relocated to the parking lot of the American Legion facility several blocks away.
I had just been at that parking lot the day before your picture arrived again and I didn't think it was the same plane. I drove by today with a copy of your picture and it is not the same plane."

The person said she'd continue to ask around about the Starfire.

So now the question is, what plane is in the American Legion parking lot?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Looks like the same plane.

MN ANG Museum
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Ai ... 8613dcdf38

American Legion
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMHB ... hisholm_MN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mike furline wrote:

It's been noted the Ironworld and ANG museum jet have the same tail number but are different planes.
The Ironworld plane is 51-13570 and painted as 13560. Why..I have no idea.
The question remains where is the former Duluth jet?

And what jet is currently in the Duluth American Legion parking lot as mentioned by the nice Parks and Rec person?...(I last the last question simply out of curiousity, I don't expect it to be a F-94). :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
mike furline wrote:

It's been noted the Ironworld and ANG museum jet have the same tail number but are different planes.
The Ironworld plane is 51-13570 and painted as 13560. Why..I have no idea.
The question remains where is the former Duluth jet?

And what jet is currently in the Duluth American Legion parking lot as mentioned by the nice Parks and Rec person?...(I last the last question simply out of curiousity, I don't expect it to be a F-94). :)

Is it possible that the information on the two F-94's (MN ANG & Iron World) is in error?
"The Veterans memorial was developed and funded by the American Legion Press Lloyd Post No. 247 of Chisholm, MN. This aircraft was a former Minnesota Air Guard jet."

West Duluth American Legion Post 71,
http://www.westduluthlegion.org/

Or you could call,
http://www.members.legion.org/CGI-BIN/l ... nguage=ENG

Last edited by mike furline on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mike furline wrote:

Is it possible that the information on the two F-94's (MN ANG & Iron World) is in error?
"The Veterans memorial was developed and funded by the American Legion Press Lloyd Post No. 247 of Chisholm, MN. This aircraft was a former Minnesota Air Guard jet."

I'm sorry, I don't get your point. There are two F-94s. There are photos of both. Are you saying that the Ironworld jet is the former Duluth park aircraft?

Thanks for the link to the American Legion parking lot jet.
It's a T-33 so it's easy to see how some Parks and Rec people in Duluth thought it was the same plane. I'm impressed that the person I corresponded with could tell the two apart. Good eyes for a "layman". :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
mike furline wrote:

West Duluth American Legion Post 71,
http://www.westduluthlegion.org/

I'm sorry, I don't get your point. There are two F-94s. Are you saying that the Ironworld jet is the former Duluth park aircraft?

You could always contact American Legion Press Loyd Post 247 and the MN ANG Museum to see where they acquired their respective airframes.

Are you sure the photo of the "plane in the park" was in Duluth?

Last edited by mike furline on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mike furline wrote:

Are you sure the photo of the "plane in the park" was in Duluth?

Yes, I saw it as a kid.
And the Duluth parks person who I sent it to did not say it wasn't in Duluth.
Also, fellow WIX'ers have said it was and posted the photo.

My question is to confirm what happened to the Duluth bird, as opposed to finding out where the other two jets came from (though the questions might be related)...so I thought I'd start with the Duluth Parks dept and go from there.