Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 pm 

Hi there everyone, Ive been overseas for awhile so if you msg me, sorry im just now getting to them.

NOW parts. Im in need of some tires for a convair 240. either short loan, or indefinitely. I need to tow Cary Grant's former transport to the other end of the CMA runway. So im looking for tires to tow it down there. Shell need them in the end, so im not against buying a used pair from someone either.

We are still looking for a home for her. We have offered 2 museums that are still trying to work it out, but at the point thise project has fallen behind, we are open to almost any where to house this bird. Please PM if you have a home in mind for her.

-Dave

Proud Supporter of....American Aeronautical Foundation 501(c)(3)
http://www.aafgroup.org

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 am 

noizeedave wrote:
Hi there everyone, Ive been overseas for awhile so if you msg me, sorry im just now getting to them.

NOW parts. Im in need of some tires for a convair 240. either short loan, or indefinitely. I need to tow Cary Grant's former transport to the other end of the CMA runway. So im looking for tires to tow it down there. Shell need them in the end, so im not against buying a used pair from someone either.

We are still looking for a home for her. We have offered 2 museums that are still trying to work it out, but at the point thise project has fallen behind, we are open to almost any where to house this bird. Please PM if you have a home in mind for her.

-Dave

What size?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am 

im on the road right now. be back tomorrow night to get size. i know they are 7.50 x 14 but i got that off a picture someome sent me while i was out here in St Louis. Ill check saturday and get back to you , thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 am 

What zip code will they go to?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

94003 VENTURA, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 am 

Tire size is 7.50 x 14. Thats the goodyear tire size. I would to borrow some for a week, or exchange somethiing or atleast pay minimum. used set that holds air is accepted. thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:34 pm 

The tires are mount on a 1 piece 26x6 rim.

a Set of used tires would be fine

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I wish I still had Bud & Noel Rude's number in Washington. They have a couple sets up there.

Try the IFL Group (http://www.iflgroup.com) - 248.666.9713

or

Rhoades Aviation (http://www.rhoadesaviation.com) - 812.372.1819

Both should have some.

Last resort, call up Kelowna Flightcraft (http://www.flightcraft.ca) and see if they can help - 250.491.5500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:32 am 

I don't have any laying around i will have to purchase them. Hopefully Cap Flyer can help you out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 pm 

Ok guys , last call, then i appearantly have to suck up a $600 new set of tires that i dont want. :(

Im looking for 7.50x14 tires that mount on a 26 x 6 rim for the nose tires on a convair. I have to move the aircraft a whole 10,000 ft under tow, then i dismantle her for good and really dont want to suck up 600 bucks. Im looking for USED pair, prefer to borrow if anyone has them, and Ill pay for shipping both ways. I tried a couple places suggested and everyone wants to sell me 6-700 pair. Ib ok with paying couple hundred for used set someone wants to sell, but not looking forward to buying new set to use for 10,000ft tow!

I hope someone out there can help.? Ill even throw in a few free guages of your choice from the stash! hahah

By the way, CAP FLyer and other, i did try those people you all gave me info on, but no one has a set of used tires or loaners, everyone wants to sell me a new pair.

Thanks again guys.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am 

[quote="noizeedave"]Ok guys , last call, then i appearantly have to suck up a $600 new set of tires that i dont want. :(

Im looking for 7.50x14 tires that mount on a 26 x 6 rim for the nose tires on a convair. I have to move the aircraft a whole 10,000 ft under tow, then i dismantle her for good and really dont want to suck up 600 bucks. Im looking for USED pair, prefer to borrow if anyone has them, and Ill pay for shipping both ways. I tried a couple places suggested and everyone wants to sell me 6-700 pair. Ib ok with paying couple hundred for used set someone wants to sell, but not looking forward to buying new set to use for 10,000ft tow!

I hope someone out there can help.? Ill even throw in a few free guages of your choice from the stash! hahah

By the way, CAP FLyer and other, i did try those people you all gave me info on, but no one has a set of used tires or loaners, everyone wants to sell me a new pair.

Thanks again guys.

Hold up there "noizeedave! I won't let that happen to you. I can do you 26x6 12 plys just what you need for moving for $150.00 plus shipping. Let me know.

My Goodyear Book says 26x6 on the nose gear. Will you need tubes as well?

Since you haven't replied yet. The mains are 34x9.9 and the nose is 26x6 10 ply Tube type. I am pretty certain that mine will be 12 ply. You mention 7.50x14.which as a car tire will exchange with a 27 SC such as on a mustang. I have heard that they will interchange (not for flight). Since you are just towing it maybe you can get by this way; possibly with just one tire and wheel or maybe they won't be too wide with 2 of them. Also the 26x6 is the main tire on an F-86 Sabre iirc. Do you know of one close to you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:22 pm 

Quote:
Hold up there "noizeedave! I won't let that happen to you. I can do you 26x6 12 plys just what you need for moving for $150.00 plus shipping. Let me know.

Since you haven't replied yet. The mains are 34x9.9 and the nose is 26x6 10 ply Tube type. I am pretty certain that mine will be 12 ply. You mention 7.50x14.which as a car tire will exchange with a 27 SC such as on a mustang. I have heard that they will interchange (not for flight). Since you are just towing it maybe you can get by this way; possibly with just one tire and wheel or maybe they won't be too wide with 2 of them. Also the 26x6 is the main tire on an F-86 Sabre iirc. Do you know of one close to you?

Thank you thank you! I actually got a few replies this morning. I have an air museum in Chino checking to see if they have a set i can borrow, if it fails I will definitely take the 26x6.6 12 ply. The nose strut weight load should be only 3900lb right now, so its very possible to work for this very slow tow. I will have to make decision tomorrow by days end, so if you could pm me with contact info for you, id appreciate it. Yes tubes too. figure those are easy to get anywhere, but ill take package deals anyday! I will let you know.

Thanks again for all the help guys, as normal....WIXers are the best people to network with! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hello,
Did you ever find tires for your aircraft?
Regards,
Darryl Rhoades

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:30 pm 

noizeedave wrote:
Quote:

Thank you thank you! I actually got a few replies this morning. I have an air museum in Chino checking to see if they have a set i can borrow, if it fails I will definitely take the 26x6.6 12 ply. The nose strut weight load should be only 3900lb right now, so its very possible to work for this very slow tow. I will have to make decision tomorrow by days end, so if you could pm me with contact info for you, id appreciate it. Yes tubes too. figure those are easy to get anywhere, but ill take package deals anyday! I will let you know.

Thanks again for all the help guys, as normal....WIXers are the best people to network with! :)

Your not looking for a home for it still by chance are you?

Anchorage, AK

We operate 2 DC-3's and a CV-240

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm 

Hi Guys

I'm interested in getting update of this aircraft. Last I heard it has left Camarillo Airport on its way to "Proud bird restaurant" in LA. I would appreciate if someone can provide update on it. Thanks

AP-AHS