Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Soplata collection
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hello everyone. I just got back from going to Northeastern Ohio to try and see the remaining aircraft at the Soplata home. When I arrived I was met by Walter's daughter who allowed me to go through the gate and look at the aircraft. She asked me if I ever met her dad, I told her that no I never met him in person but I did speak with him on the phone back in 2007. After walking around for two hours, unfortunately I was unable to get to the B-36 as the thorn bushes, snow, mud and cold temperature prevented it. I was told by Walt's daughter that the P-39 and P-47 fuselage are still stored inside as well as a whole lot of various parts and pieces. I did manage to get some pictures with my phone and I'll put them on photobucket with a link here. I don't know how they will turn out, I just got this phone a week ago and have not taken any pictures. I did spend a great deal of time walking around and looking at the B-25 that is still there. It is about 90% complete and I'm sure the remaining 10% is around there somewhere. As I was leaving the daughter said the Mrs. Soplata is just getting over the stomache flu, and as of right now she doesn't want to do anything with the planes, pieces, parts. As soon as I get the pictures posted I'll edit this post. :drink3:
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k527/cooper9411/
Here is the link to some of the pictures that I was able to take.

Post subject: Re: Soplata collection
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:07 pm 

Thank you for posting the pics. ive always wondered what was still hiding there on walters farm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There is so much stuff still there. There are numerous trailers and out buildings that contain pieces and parts. I was there a couple of hours and could have stayed longer, but really didn't want to overstay my welcome. Every corner I turned there was something fascinating that you would never imagine would be in Northeast Ohio out in the open. Many radial engines sitting around on the ground, on stands, engine mounts sitting around, jet engines sitting around, wing center sections, horizontal stabilizers, vertical stabilizers, all just sitting around. I will try to go there in the Spring and make my up all the way to the back and get a look inside the B-36, I hear it's filled with al kinds of goodies. When I was walking through the property, I thought "man, you would have to cut down many trees to get one of these planes out of here", when these planes and parts were moved there the trees were not there or were very small. Some of the trees that around the property are at least 5-6 ft. diameter. :drink3:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 am 
Account Suspended

boy.., that looks like a real airplane graveyard. Guess they will eventually just turn back into earth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i can't believe whats still their. settling his estate must be a royal headache. i'm especially surprised the prototype skyraider is still their!! i would have thought the navy would have snagged that by now!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

From what I was told, everything was left to his wife and as of right now she really doesn't want to part with anything. I thought ther navy at one time wanted the plane but Walter would not sell it back to them. GOOD! :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nice photos!
BTW, the 11th and 12th photos you have on photobucket shows the P-47 fuselage in the center of the photo. I was there in 1985 and, as far as I know, that was the only P-47 Walter had.
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

You are right, a family member told me that day that there was one inside the B36. Maybe last she knew it was, I don't know but a few people have said that the P-47 was inside. maybe there are 2 of them! :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There is a museum that is highly interested in the B-25 that is still there. It needs a lot of work. :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:35 pm 

I would love to see that F7 Cutlass come to Stratford CT!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There are many people who would want these aircraft. The Cutlass is pretty much complete and standing on it's own legs. Unfortunately the family has been very secretive as to what is or will be going on with the aircraft :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am 
Account Suspended

Mr. Cooper,

Have you approached them about doing an inventory for them?

SN's, etc. Front to back, top to bottom inventory?

Would be beneficial for them as well.., they would know exactly what they have and it's potential worth. :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Allegedly, when Tom Reilly was in talks with Walter about purchasing the twin mustang, he (Tom) did some appraisals on some of the aircraft. I really don't think that anyone actually has any idea what is there. :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jerry, I made a mistake(hard to believe). The P-47 is in fact sitting outside, there is a P-39 and a P-63 fuselage stored in the B-36 with possibility of the wings being on the property. When I was there I was told that the above mentioned two aircraft were still inside the B-36 and the family really is unsure as to what all is in there. Sorry about the confusion :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:06 pm 

I remember at one time there was the XP-82 fuselage and the P-63 fuselage inside the B-36. I don't remember Walter having a P-39. The B-57 fuselage remains kind of resembles the P-47 remains, thus maybe some confusion. Walter had the P2V parts mixed with DC-7, B-36, KC-97 sections plus engines of unrelated aircraft intermixed. Several C-45/Beech 18's, a T-29 body, an upside down S2F wreck, Convair (closer to house), an early F-84 fuselage, F-4 bits and pieces were also mixed in the grouping......Walter kept moving these sections around. I didn't think the Soplatas were allowing folks to walk through collection any more.. :o
Leon