Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Rate this Movie... Kelly's Heroes
5 Stars 41%  41%  [ 27 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 19 ]
3 Stars 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
2 Stars 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
1 Star 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Haven't seen it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 66
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 pm 

I have to agree with the general opinion about the anti-war theme of the movie.

But I loved all the equipment and the effort to at least make those T-55s look like Tigers!

Much better than say..."Battle of the Bulge" where the Americans used M-24s to Battle German M-41s!!!!!!

The Combat sequences were nice, the acting was good, and it had good humor.

And it was not a movie to take seriously! You gotta love the scene where they fire the wrong/paint round at the tiger!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

"Maybe the guy will make a deal."

"What kind of a deal?"

"A deal, deal. Maybe the guy's a Republican."

I have heard too that Eastwood thought the film was advertised wrong and that he never saw it as the broad comedy that most viewers perceive it as. Still it is probably the comedic aspect that still makes it viewable. Interesting to see the Yugoslavian trainer in the air attack scenes with US markings on the upper surface of both wings. Never noticed until it was pointed out on another board that the sniper is carrying a Moisan Nagant rifle and not an M1903.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

it was hip in directing style, but lot's of action, & humour, music, but totally unrealistic. some how....... still a classic though!! don't be dissing squint eastwood........ anyone!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:03 am 

All y'all missed the best line in the movie....."To a new yorker like you a hero is some kinda WEIRD SAMWICH!"....an absolute classic and while not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it is a good comedy that I am pleased to say I own. The look on Telly Savalas' face when Sutherland speaks the above quoted line is priceless.....

And Donald Sutherland's initial line in the movie is "You could probably use some armor."

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I thoroughly enjoy watching this movie and do so every couple of years. You can't take it seriously though, it's definitely in the Catch-22, MASH, McHale's navy end of things.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i never considered it a comedy......... what is it billed as??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Back in the 70s my brother and I would always try to catch it when it was on TV..I even recorded a few parts on audio cassette. Of course, it can't be taken remotely seriously..it's an action/adventure/comedy that just happens to be set in WWII. Just a fun grab-a-bucket-of-popcorn-and-turn-off-your-brain flick.

For many years I thought it was a T-28 that strafes the soldiers, but as mentioned above it's actually a Yugoslavian Soko 522 trainer.

SN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I like '60's comedy war movies and I like just about all Eastwood movies from the '60's and 70's.
Oddball's line "Woof woof woof!
Working on machinery, I can relate to Moriarty. "...but trading TANKS?! Man it's a piece of junk!"
I just take it as entertainment and used to be friends with a local guy who was also a war movie buff who bears a striking facial resemblance to the Tiger commander in the bank heist scene.
It's one of those where you get together with a few friends to watch it and everybody does the dialogue all the way through.
And I really like the them song "Burning Bridges" Wasn't the music done by Lalo Schifrin?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dadgummit.....I was looking at SpookytheCat's Sloshkosh pix while humming "Burning Bridges"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Canso42 wrote:
And I really like the them song "Burning Bridges" Wasn't the music done by Lalo Schifrin?

Mike Curb Congregation.

Great song.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:15 pm 

take it seriously? It is a comedy. Part of the humor IS the 60's dialog in a 1940's setting. It isn't a WWII movie. You can not like it because you don't think its funny, but come on, criticizing the historical accuracy misses the point.

It is one of my favorite comedies.

One of my favorite lines is Carrol O'conner telling his son in law to "shut up, we've got the game on".

TD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

it's a fun movie.... but even squint hated it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:02 am 
Account Suspended

tgd31968 wrote:
take it seriously? It is a comedy. Part of the humor IS the 60's dialog in a 1940's setting. It isn't a WWII movie. You can not like it because you don't think its funny, but come on, criticizing the historical accuracy misses the point.

It is one of my favorite comedies.

One of my favorite lines is Carrol O'conner telling his son in law to "shut up, we've got the game on".

TD

HARUMPH!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am 

This was a favorite of mine for a long time and still has a special place in my heart. The thing I really liked about it was the Vehicles. I'm a big Military vehicle guy. Over the years Ive owned 5 Weasels, a DUKW, GP, GPA , and currently have a M37 and Thiokol 601. This was the first big budget movie since WW2 to use mostly WW2 vehicles. Fortunately in the early 70s the Yugoslavian Government still used WW2 US equipment. There is one long scene where I counted over 20 different Shermans, many half-tracks and high speed tractors, and don't forget jeeps. The tigers were built on T34-85 hulls, and had been built for a earlier Yugoslavian movie. This is the same way the tigers were made for Saving Private Ryan. The other thing I like was the weapons. For once we saw a squad equipped with something other the Korean war era carbines. Lots of M1 (no drums) Thompsons, M1 Garands and BARs. Although I didn't like the Nagant sniper with the bayonet taped on. My favorite shot is the attack at the railroad yard. The most far out thing was the music. In the 1940's the only way to play recorded music was with a LP and a turntable. There is no way you could get one to work in a moving tracked vehicle especially while firing its weapons. The speaker could be used to play music picked up over a radio only. Anyway you can always find issues with any movie (Don't get me started on SPR) but Kellys Heroes is a fun move with great actors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm 

I watched it with my late Father-In-law a Tank driver- initially with Patton then they ended up in, I beleive, the 9th Army-and the Bridge at Remagen.. He hated oddball's character-there was no one like that in\any outfit he was in. The entrance of the Tiger got his attention he was half dozing in front of the fire when that thing came on (this was video) :THAT"S A DAM' TIGER!!! :shock: "Once you hear one you never forget...''
I miss him yet..