Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Rate this Movie... Kelly's Heroes
5 Stars 41%  41%  [ 27 ]
4 Stars 29%  29%  [ 19 ]
3 Stars 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
2 Stars 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
1 Star 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Haven't seen it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 66
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Today's movie is Kelly's Heroes. Please vote in the poll and reply to this threads with your thoughts about the movie. What you loved... or hated about it. Thanks.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:28 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

This has got to be one of the stranger "war" movies ever made. I have to say my favorite scene is when the Shermans come out of the tunnel. The music set off the weirdness perfectly.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 am 

I have this one on DVD and haul it out periodically to watch it. I agree, one of the best scenes is the Shermans coming out of the tunnel with the music. I wonder if something like that ever happened?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The only draw back is the mine scene, kinda ruins the comedic mood of the rest of the film.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Entertaining...Clint eastwood, Don Rickles....but I really dislike the "hip" revisionist films of the late 60s-early 70s, whatever genre (western, war, crime, etc).

Last edited by JohnB on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"oh man, I dont like officers"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I love the movie, but I agree with the "modern" sixties attitudes thrown into WWII context. It's always been weird for me with MASH, Catch22, etc. Great movies but it's terribly obvious when the movie was made vs being transported into the period that the movie is supposed to take place in.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 pm 

The movie is what started my love for Sherman tanks. As petty as this sounds the music selection in the railroad tunnel scene killed the movie for me. The Hank Williams JR.- "Sunshine" song from the 60's. It threw me off a bit. "I've been working on the railroad" song was OK. My favorite character was ODDBALL, but the hippie attitude gives away when the movie was made. Over all, I like the movie and the plot. I just hate hippies as a general rule.

Last edited by carlisle1926 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:29 pm 

Still a huge favourite of mine as an entertainment film 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:19 pm 

I always end up laughing at the film. And its important to remember that it's "Entertainment" first... not a
documentary and in general it did pretty well historically as far as using the gear of the period.

To me, Oddball is classic Donald Sutherland at its best.. did wonders
for his career but also did well for everyone else in the film. There's something in the film for everyone -
my wife laughs at it, my kids will watch it with me and laugh as well. A few of his lines still make me chuckle...
- I'm not sure if I'll get them right.. but.... his entrance with.. " You're gonna need some firepower... " still makes
me laugh. Or.. "Don't hit me with those negative waves..." while it may never have been said in the 40's, it makes be bust out laughing every time... and I find myself using it with my bride when she gives me one of those looks that says "are you sure this is going to work?".

So realizing theres a lot of purists out on this board, so many may not agree, but always remember " No one said anything about messin' with no Tigers man... " :-).

Have a great weekend.
HH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The best thing I can say about it is that it was entertaining. That's why I gave it a 3.

Mudge the critic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:22 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I love the film.
Eastwood wasn't thrilled about the way it ended up. Things changed in the middle of production (I think a director change) and it headed in another direction. Finished film was not what Eastwood had signed up for.
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:22 am 

anytime anyone asks me "waddaya doing?" I feel obligated to respond:
"I am eating some cheese, drinking some wine and catching some rays"

anytime anyone is being negative:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Im not sure that people talked that like in the 40's but this really is more of a caper movie then a war movie and I think its absolutely great and infinitely quotable. My 102nd infantry div. vet grandfather confirmed things of this nature (capers and war booty) did go on though.

Anyone catch the Kellys Heros music towards the end of Inglorious Bastards? Apparently Quentin Tarantino is a fan of KH.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:24 pm 

Like the movie - especially how in a couple shots (when the guys are sitting by the road and then when the 'army' rolls by in the rain) where there were more shermans than you could count. Always wondered where they got all those tanks to use as background dressing. And at least the Tigers looked like Tigers (except for the T-34 looking runnign gear). Better than using old M-48's as German tanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It was filmed in Yugoslavia. Thanks to Teto's west-east balancing act he had weapons from both sides of the Iron Curtain.
No doubt real war suplus Shermans.