Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rate This Movie... The Longest Day
5 Stars 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
4 Stars 37%  37%  [ 21 ]
3 Stars 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
2 Stars 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haven't seen it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 57
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:18 am 
Offline
WRG Editor
WRG Editor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 5102
Location: Haverhill, MA & Johnston, RI
Today's movie is The Longest Day. Please vote in the poll and reply to this threads with your thoughts about the movie. What you loved... or hated about it. Thanks.

_________________
Scott Rose
Editor-In-Chief/Webmaster
Warbirds Resource Group - Warbird Information Exchange - Warbird Registry - MilitarySciFi.com

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.


Image

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:57 pm 
Offline
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:51 pm
Posts: 4617
Location: Cheshire, CT
It's a great effort about a grand undertaking, but after reading several subsequent D-Day narratives I think some of the real drama was missing. How important Wally Parr's Piat shot to the Panzer tank was at Pegasus Bridge and several other incidents are very dramatic and really quite pivotal.
Jerry

_________________
"Always remember that, when you enter the ocean or the forest, you are no longer at the top of the food chain."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:03 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:11 pm
Posts: 1559
Location: Damascus, MD
4 Stars. I think it captured the essence of Cornelius Ryan's books, which had every human element from tragic to comic, from the Generals to the grunts.

While this and "A Bridge Too Far" went on to become epic war movies, was there ever any attempt to make "The Last Battle" into a movie? Of Cornelius Ryan's books, I found "The Last Battle" to be the most enjoyable read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:21 pm
Posts: 117
Too big of a bite to chew in one movie.

I think it could have been better done with a 'no name' cast (like "Band of Brothers") since all too often the film feels the need to give one of the big names the spotlight for several minutes for a monologue. It also would have helped impart the idea that virtually none of the front line commanders, heroes or average Joe's were known to the public. Admittedly, such a cast would probably not have been possible when the film was made.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:25 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1523
Location: Brenham, Texas
Is this a rating of just a war movie overall or from the aviation viewpoint? The only aviation part I really remember is Jose Ferrer playing Pips Priller when he and wingman Heinz Wodarczyk made their one strafe of the beach.

_________________
"I love the smell of 100LL in the morning."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 am 
Offline
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:08 pm
Posts: 2993
Location: Bunker Hill, WV
I agree with the, "too many big names" in the movie. It IMHO detracted from the actual story. Which, of course, was "Hollywooded" up to the point that, if you didn't know the actual story, you'd have never learned it from the movie. Out of that humongous cast of "stars" there were only about 10-12 "actors". The rest were just there because of name recognition. I mean...Paul Anka, Tommy Sands, Fabian? REALLY? Of course you had the "Duke" doing what he always did...Be the "Duke" with a different character name.

Canso42 wrote:
Is this a rating of just a war movie overall or from the aviation viewpoint? The only aviation part I really remember is Jose Ferrer playing Pips Priller when he and wingman Heinz Wodarczyk made their one strafe of the beach.


The only aviation I remember was the C-47s hauling the paratroopers and 4 Skyraiders doing a flyover during the landings. (I thought it was really unusual how they were able to get those A-1 prototypes back in '44. :roll:)

FYI...Jose Ferrer wasn't in the movie. His son, Mel, played Gen. Haines. The guy who played "Pips" Priller was the German actor, Heinz Reinke.

Mudge the moviegoer :wink:

_________________
Land of the free because of the brave


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 938
For the time and location It holds up pretty well. It was designed to play to the masses and not the military specialists. I like how they draped a parachute over the Monument at the edge of the square in St Mere Eglise. John Steele didn't land on the church spire as shown with Red Buttons but on the other side of the church.
The Barn was set on fire by incendiary AA fire. Bill Guarnere E 506th 1010st AB, landed in the SW corner of the square about 15 minutes before the 505th, 82nd heavy weapons platoon of the 505th jumped into it.
By then they were slaughtered by the alerted troops.

I like it and can understand the weaknesses of the film ,but who tells a better overall story?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:31 pm
Posts: 874
Location: Caribou, Maine
What I remember best is the satisfaction of the exhausted and shell-shocked British officer - who came down if I remember on a glider - after having fullfilled his orders: "hold until releaved"

_________________
Kevin McCartney


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 938
old iron wrote:
What I remember best is the satisfaction of the exhausted and shell-shocked British officer - who came down if I remember on a glider - after having fullfilled his orders: "hold until releaved"



Major John Howard at Pegasus Bridge.

Played by Michael Todd who was a member of the 6th British Paras and met the real Col. Howard at Pegusus bridge during D-Day


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:48 pm 
Offline
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:08 pm
Posts: 2993
Location: Bunker Hill, WV
Jiggersfromsphilly wrote:
old iron wrote:
What I remember best is the satisfaction of the exhausted and shell-shocked British officer - who came down if I remember on a glider - after having fullfilled his orders: "hold until releaved"



Major John Howard at Pegasus Bridge.

Played by Michael Todd who was a member of the 6th British Paras and met the real Col. Howard at Pegusus bridge during D-Day


I had to laugh at Henry Fonda playing Teddy Roosevelt, Jr. Not exactly "type casting". TR was never that tall or that thin on his best day. :wink:

Mrs. Mudge and I visited Pegasus Bridge on our last tour. It's a drawbridge. A couple in our group went across and suddenly, the bridge went up. We had to wait about 15 minutes for the bridge to come back down so we could "carry on".

"Jiggers" The other side of the church is not visible to the tourists unless they make an effort to go there. Even if they do walk around back there's nothing there that tells the "real" story.
FYI...for those of you who might have never been, there's a hotel in St. Mere Eglise named after John Steele. :o

Mudge the traveler :drink3:

_________________
Land of the free because of the brave


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 938
Mudge wrote:
Jiggersfromsphilly wrote:
old iron wrote:
What I remember best is the satisfaction of the exhausted and shell-shocked British officer - who came down if I remember on a glider - after having fullfilled his orders: "hold until releaved"



Major John Howard at Pegasus Bridge.

Played by Michael Todd who was a member of the 6th British Paras and met the real Col. Howard at Pegusus bridge during D-Day


I had to laugh at Henry Fonda playing Teddy Roosevelt, Jr. Not exactly "type casting". TR was never that tall or that thin on his best day. :wink:

Mrs. Mudge and I visited Pegasus Bridge on our last tour. It's a drawbridge. A couple in our group went across and suddenly, the bridge went up. We had to wait about 15 minutes for the bridge to come back down so we could "carry on".

"Jiggers" The other side of the church is not visible to the tourists unless they make an effort to go there. Even if they do walk around back there's nothing there that tells the "real" story.
FYI...for those of you who might have never been, there's a hotel in St. Mere Eglise named after John Steele. :o

Mudge the traveler :drink3:



LOL !




Apparently the tourism bureau decided that the corner spire was the most visible so they place the replica there .

Another note, Wally Parr's Piat shot was not a a panzer, but a French captured & Heer recycled Renault tank.


.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:45 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 1275
Location: Houston, TX
I just saw it again and enjoyed it thoroughly for the somewhat sanitized, definitely romanticized version early 1960s cinema would have allowed. (It t'weren't no Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers...)

Sean Connery asking, "Have you ever heard such bloody awful screeching?... An "Irishman" playing the pipes!"
That and "Come along Winston" with the beachmaster dragging his bulldog.

Correctly noted that all the cameos became a distraction- Robt. Mitchum and Red Buttons stuck in my mind from having seen it as a kid.

But for taking such a "big bite" I think it relayed a sense of how epic the undertaking was.
I'd watch it again tonight if it were playing.

SPANNER the nostalgic

PS- the actual table mock-ups the glider and paras studied for Pegasus are in the Airborne room at Duxford's Air and Space. AS IF you needed another reason to go there! :wink:

_________________
Support Your Local Warbirds! KBO!
The only reasons the airplanes matter is what the veterans did with them... and why.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1523
Location: Brenham, Texas
Thanks for the correction Mudge. It's been a few decades since I've seen it.

Spanner, I'm with you. Know anybody who's got it on video? Just watch a good war movie for it's own sake.


"Me Scottish Grandpa always said, '..anything mechanical wha' does na' work, give it a good BASH!"'

_________________
"I love the smell of 100LL in the morning."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:36 am
Posts: 7961
Location: Mt. Vernon, WA.
Since when did minor items like attention to details ever stop Darryl F. Zanuk from spending every dime in the budget? The movie is coming up on 50 years old, I remember seeing it in the theatre, but those watching it today wouldn't know 95% of the actors who were in it especially Tommy Sands who was famous for about 22 minutes as Mr. Nancy Sinatra or teen heart throb singer Dion, Paul Anka wrote the theme music for Carsons "Tonight Show' and retired.

_________________
Don't make me go get my flying monkeys-


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 938
SPANNERmkV wrote:
I just saw it again and enjoyed it thoroughly for the somewhat sanitized, definitely romanticized version early 1960s cinema would have allowed. (It t'weren't no Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers...)

Sean Connery asking, "Have you ever heard such bloody awful screeching?... An "Irishman" playing the pipes!"
That and "Come along Winston" with the beachmaster dragging his bulldog.

Correctly noted that all the cameos became a distraction- Robt. Mitchum and Red Buttons stuck in my mind from having seen it as a kid.

But for taking such a "big bite" I think it relayed a sense of how epic the undertaking was.
I'd watch it again tonight if it were playing.

SPANNER the nostalgic

PS- the actual table mock-ups the glider and paras studied for Pegasus are in the Airborne room at Duxford's Air and Space. AS IF you needed another reason to go there! :wink:




The actual quote from the movie was,

Pvt. Clough( Norman Rossinton) " There it is, he's at it again! Have you ever heard such a racket in all your life?
Private Flanagan ( Sean Connery) " Yeah, it takes an Irishman to play the pipes. "


By the way Bill Million who played the "Pipes in the Movie , was portraying himself on DDay

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... illin.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group