Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am 

Also note the final touch, the pilot isn't wearing a modern helmet.

British good taste at its finest !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:40 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

ChrisDNT wrote:

Actually I believe he is.
I think it might be one of these-
http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:20 am 

51fixer wrote:
Jack Frost wrote:
IIRC, didn't the Spitfire Mark I have a two bladed prop?

Originally yes but as new technology progressed I believe all were fitted with the improved controllable 3 bladed prop with a later engine that allowed the prop gov to be fitted.
I'm not the best with remembering the earlier Merlin history so someone can correct this if it is wrong.
I believe that is how this aircraft was setup when it decided to go on an extended holiday at the shore.

Yep a wooden fixed two blade followed by the two position DH 3 blade prop (as in coarse or fine pitch although in service,pilots found by a bit of tweaking with the prop lever they could get different pitches between coarse and fine...........sort of a poor mans constant speed prop) and then the variable pitch Rotol 3 blader.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:19 am 

51fixer wrote:
ChrisDNT wrote:

Actually I believe he is.
I think it might be one of these-
http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/

Looks like it....... :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:30 am 

avenger2504 wrote:
51fixer wrote:
Jack Frost wrote:

Originally yes but as new technology progressed I believe all were fitted with the improved controllable 3 bladed prop with a later engine that allowed the prop gov to be fitted.
I'm not the best with remembering the earlier Merlin history so someone can correct this if it is wrong.
I believe that is how this aircraft was setup when it decided to go on an extended holiday at the shore.

Yep a wooden fixed two blade followed by the two position DH 3 blade prop (as in coarse or fine pitch although in service,pilots found by a bit of tweaking with the prop lever they could get different pitches between coarse and fine...........sort of a poor mans constant speed prop).

Yup, and it's this remarkable (not to say immensely expensive :shock: ) part of this restoration that perhaps sets it apart as much as anything else, and thus making this a unique example of the worlds airworthy Spitfires.
The engineering from scratch of a complete DH metal blade prop assembly for P9374, as per it had at the time of it's loss :supz:
In fact 8 sets have been manufactured from what I've read.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:27 pm 

Firebird said: "Yup, and it's this remarkable (not to say immensely expensive :shock: ) part of this restoration that perhaps sets it apart as much as anything else, and thus making this a unique example of the worlds airworthy Spitfires.
The engineering from scratch of a complete DH metal blade prop assembly for P9374, as per it had at the time of it's loss :supz:

Wow that is impressive although being in engineering and working in a CNC milling machine one at that it is easier now to make parts and less expensive. That's relative though i know I couldn't afford to do it no matter how easy it would be to machine on a CNC. Its the getting to that point (and I would hate to think of the paper work!!) and laying the groundwork that would be a huge undertaking.
I take my hats off to them, making a Mark 1 anything cannot be easy! :shock:
I also note she has got the add on armoured windscreen which was retrofitted to the early Spits before the factory made the new one with the built in type.
Look likes she was leaking a bit of glycol going by the green stain on her belly. probably things settling in like seals etc?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

avenger2504 wrote:
Firebird said: "Yup, and it's this remarkable (not to say immensely expensive :shock: ) part of this restoration that perhaps sets it apart as much as anything else, and thus making this a unique example of the worlds airworthy Spitfires.

Wow that is impressive although being in engineering and working in a CNC milling machine one at that it is easier now to make parts and less expensive. That's relative though i know I couldn't afford to do it no matter how easy it would be to machine on a CNC. Its the getting to that point (and I would hate to think of the paper work!!) and laying the groundwork that would be a huge undertaking.
I take my hats off to them, making a Mark 1 anything cannot be easy! :shock:
I also note she has got the add on armoured windscreen which was retrofitted to the early Spits before the factory made the new one with the built in type.
Look likes she was leaking a bit of glycol going by the green stain on her belly. probably things settling in like seals etc?

The thing about anything done in the UK is that it goes so far above just making the parts.
As much as someone can program a CNC machine and punch out parts that isn't the remarkable achievement.
Getting the CAA to approve your desire to make the parts, approve the engineering, approve someone to make the parts, approve the QC, incorporate it into a AAN document, grant you a TBO and then let you fly that part is the amazing feat.
The 6-9 months of engineering probably took another 18 months of paperwork and approvals.
I have been exposed to a small window of the way Warbird Flying is done in the UK and it really takes a very dedicated owner and crew to do what may seem fairly easy in other parts of the world.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:05 am 

I suppose it helps to at least have an authority allow it to happen, I know here in NZ the CAA seems to allow a lot of new and interesting types to fly here (FW190 the latest one) and the Vintage Aviator building new engines and aircraft. What is it they say? When the weight of the paperwork equals or betters the aircraft you are nearly done! :shock:
I've just bought a project (a J5F Auster) so my paperwork is just beginning!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:22 pm 

Ok, perhaps not a true period WWII helmet, but at least not a modern flashy Gentex, which just screeammmmms "wrong", when one photographs the aircraft.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:48 pm 

51fixer wrote:
The thing about anything done in the UK is that it goes so far above just making the parts.
As much as someone can program a CNC machine and punch out parts that isn't the remarkable achievement.
Getting the CAA to approve your desire to make the parts, approve the engineering, approve someone to make the parts, approve the QC, incorporate it into a AAN document, grant you a TBO and then let you fly that part is the amazing feat.
The 6-9 months of engineering probably took another 18 months of paperwork and approvals.
I have been exposed to a small window of the way Warbird Flying is done in the UK and it really takes a very dedicated owner and crew to do what may seem fairly easy in other parts of the world.

You have hit the nail on the head. The CAA treat the warbirds there with the same scrutiny of an Airbus 380. They cannot distinguish between the two. I truly feel for the guys over there trying to restore an aircraft, and can greatly appreciate the crap they must go through to get any vintage aircraft flying that was made with out a type certificate. Knowing how difficult it is there compared to the rest of the world, it makes my blood boil when i see open criticism of a rebuild because the wheels are not 5 spoked or the roundel is off by .5 inches.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:36 pm 

SeptRepair wrote:
51fixer wrote:

You have hit the nail on the head. The CAA treat the warbirds there with the same scrutiny of an Airbus 380. They cannot distinguish between the two. I truly feel for the guys over there trying to restore an aircraft, and can greatly appreciate the crap they must go through to get any vintage aircraft flying that was made with out a type certificate. Knowing how difficult it is there compared to the rest of the world, it makes my blood boil when i see open criticism of a rebuild because the wheels are not 5 spoked or the roundel is off by .5 inches.

Hear hear!! Bloody roundel police!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:28 pm 

This may be of interest:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goo ... -more.html

The book 'Spitfire I - P9374' will be published by Grub Street (London) pre-Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:35 am 

I was watching them film this at Duxford and they had to work to find some patches of sunshine on an otherwise grey sky.

Wearing my Facebook hat ~ here's a shot of both aircraft from the run in and break when they returned to Duxford :o)

:wink:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:20 am 

bomberflight wrote:
I was watching them film this at Duxford and they had to work to find some patches of sunshine on an otherwise grey sky.

Wearing my Facebook hat ~ here's a shot of both aircraft from the run in and break when they returned to Duxford :o)

:wink:

awsome pic's! great job!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm 

avenger2504 wrote:
51fixer wrote:
Jack Frost wrote:

Yep a wooden fixed two blade followed by the two position DH 3 blade prop (as in coarse or fine pitch although in service,pilots found by a bit of tweaking with the prop lever they could get different pitches between coarse and fine...........sort of a poor mans constant speed prop) and then the variable pitch Rotol 3 blader.

There's a bit missing there. DH manufactured constant speed conversion kits, initially without an official contract, and all Spitfires were converted to constant speed props by early August 1940. The conversion was done at the airfields by DH engineers and squadron personnel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next