Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:22 am 

There's a Bird nesting in the hangar across from my Stearman! Ken and Valerie Thomas have based their Wright J6-5 powered Bird at Creve Coeur. This is a Bird problem that I can handle. This is the first Wright J6-5 powered Bird I've ever seen and from what I understand, it's the only one I'm likely to ever see. Apparently, it's the only one they ever built with this engine. Hey, at least it's not one of those icky looking Navy copies of the Stearman, the N3N. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That's pretty!

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:32 pm 

What a beautiful Bird and what beautiful colors!! Can anybody name the exact color names of that blue and cream?

Concratulation, very authentic and 1930 style!
Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:05 pm 

Pretty, especially with the Wright!!

Alfred Hitchcock, watch out!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

LOL, thats ok, I wont cry over that engine, its short a couple of cylinders. Besides that airplane is classing up the airport. Stearmans belong in trailer parks :D everybody has one!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:02 pm 

N3Njeff wrote:
LOL, thats ok, I wont cry over that engine, its short a couple of cylinders. Besides that airplane is classing up the airport. Stearmans belong in trailer parks :D everybody has one!!

Ouch! That hurt! So now I'm motivated to find that old 8mm movie of the guys here in St. Louis who finally found a use for their N3N. My father waxed their tale in his old Lycoming Stearman so many times they moved the thing from the airport. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

N3Njeff wrote:

I would love to move to such a trailer park : )

The one I live in right now, has gone so much down the drain, that you can even find N3N wings hanging from the rafters in one of the hangars : )

[Just kidding, I like biplanes, no matter the model or the manufacturer]

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:58 am 

Since we're Stearman bashing I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon :lol:

My brother attended the Stearman gathering one year in his 1930 Waco CRG. He sat around for days listening to guys claiming their Continental and Lycoming Stearmans would cruise above 100 mph...i.e. 120mph-125mph. Finally a group took off to fly around together so he joined in. Of course they all cruised normal Stearman speeds and he had great fun pulling up along side of them (power reduced of course) would wave and then go to normal power setting and walk away from them.....climbing! After that episode, each time he would get near one they would turn and fly away. One of his favorite stories to tell around antique fly-ins during adult beverage time!

Post subject: No Fair!
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:38 pm 

A Waco CRG vs a stock Stearman? That's apples and oranges! Let's try a stock UPF-7 vs a stock Stearman but let's complicate it with both airplanes getting some minor damage on landing. No problem for the Stearman guy. He picks up the phone and calls Pete Jones or Dusters and Sprayers and like magic, he's got his parts the next day. The Waco guy, well he needs to hope that he's got the spares in his hangar at home. :)

Ken said the wings are Diana Creme which I should have guessed. It's an old Beryloid color. Ken's not sure about the Blue. WacoYKC, what's that Blue? It's probably an old Beryloid color also.

By the way for anyone going to the Bartlesville Flyin, I think the Zenith Z6A is going to try to make the show. Glenn put a new carb on it this week and took it for a few test flights. As usual, I have to work and can't make it.

Post subject: Planning on Bartelsville
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:54 am 

Hey guys

We are planning on taking the Big-A@# Waco...err the the Stearman PT-34 (cause it's twice the size of a regular Stearman) okay...the Zenith Z6a.

Departure is by dawns early light friday morning. Flying chase are me and sky in the F-24, Rolla in the C-170 and Les Grotpeter in his Travel Air 4000. Fuel stop at Lebanon or the next airport on the way.

Hope the weather gods are :D

don

flyingantiqueairplanes.blogspot.com

www.fairchild24.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:56 am 

You got me on that one Albert....no doubt the Stearman wins in that situation:)

According to my latest Nicholas-Beazley catelog, the blue on the BIRD at Creve Couer appears to be Berryloid Curtiss Blue #1263

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:07 pm 

Concerning the cream color; I have a 1930 Curtiss Wright catalog. In it is a Sherwin-Williams aircraft color chart. The chart shows a "Brunner-Winkle Ivory". Looking at the photo compared to the chart I would say it is the same. Wish it got more specific in the naming of the color, but it doesn't.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:05 am 

jbloomer2 wrote:
Concerning the cream color; I have a 1930 Curtiss Wright catalog. In it is a Sherwin-Williams aircraft color chart. The chart shows a "Brunner-Winkle Ivory". Looking at the photo compared to the chart I would say it is the same. Wish it got more specific in the naming of the color, but it doesn't.

Jim

I'm not sure how Diana Cream and Brunner-Winkle Ivory would compare but I'll bet they are similar if not visually the same. Ken is flying the Big Brown 747s this week but he said he would check the Blue color when he gets back. It seems to me that a few years ago, the AAA re-printed some color chip pages from some old 20s and 30s a/c paint catalogs. I'll try to find those issues and see how close they match.