Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:14 pm 

Yes the day has come to dismantle the P-82 and send it back to the Air Force after 40 years in our collection? We invited the Midland College School of Aviation to come over and lend a hand.

This makes me sick!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

:x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm 

That's just it.... It could have and would have!! the money/sponsorship was there.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:31 pm 

This just screams of government abuse of authority!! If you agree, call your senator!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 pm 

B29B24crewchief wrote:
This just screams of government abuse of authority!! If you agree, call your senator!!!!!

how long before they start confiscating all fighter aircraft owned by civilians.
its time for a tea party and a re-write of the constitution...this time including the bill of rights and the BILL OF RESPONSIBILITIES...for both the average man and the gubmint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

And they punt! The ball travels a whopping 18 yards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 pm 

From the desk of the CAF President, Steve Brown...

Air Force Museum Rejects F-82 Settlement Offer from CAF

The National Museum of the Air Force (USAFM) Board of Directors rejected the Commemorative Air Force's (CAF) offer to drop its lawsuit concerning the ownership rights of the F-82 in exchange for allowing the airplane to remain on static display at the CAF Airpower Museum in Midland, Texas.

In a written proposal, hand-delivered to the Air Force History Department in Washington D.C., the CAF proposed to drop its appeal and let the ruling in the trial court stand, in exchange for allowing the CAF to retain physical possession of the F-82 in the USAFM’s Loan Program. The same loan program is used across the country for static Air Force owned aircraft at aviation museums.

The proposal submitted by the CAF states, “This proposal is put forth in the spirit of trying to put this unpleasant disagreement behind us….. Although we still disagree with the position of the Air Force to not allow its vintage warbirds to fly, we would prefer to continue this discussion through persuasion versus litigation.”

“I had great hopes that this would be an amicable way to agree-to-disagree, yet still concede to the USAFM’s policy to not fly the F-82, which has supposedly been their concern. This decision to reject our proposal is confusing and disappointing.” said Stephan Brown, President and CEO of the CAF. “Our mission is to Honor American Military Aviation, through the flight of these historic aircraft, but we felt it was better to keep this important piece of our history on static display, rather than lose it altogether.”

The response to the CAF’s proposal by the Director of Air Force History and Museum Policies and Programs states “After a robust and thorough discussion, the voting members of the Heritage Board unanimously decided that, based on the history of this matter and the precedential import of the judicial determination concerning the ownership of the F-82 to the National Museum of the United States Air Force and the other Armed Services, the offer of settlement could not be accepted.”

As a result of the declination of the CAF settlement proposal, the F-82, which has been a part of the CAF history for 40 years, must be shipped back to the USAFM in Dayton, Ohio immediately.

“Of course, the Judgment will be obeyed”, said Brown. “And it will be a sad day for 9,000 active CAF members and those before them, who have poured tens of thousands of dollars and man-hours into saving this airplane. How ironic that our founders Lloyd Nolen and Marvin “Lefty” Gardner saved this airplane (and many more) from the Air Force’s destruction, just to have the Air Force Museum repossess it in order to ‘preserve’ it.”

“However, now we will continue forward with the Appeal. The Appeal is a de novo review, in which the Appellate Court is not bound by the trial court, but reviews the entire case. We are hopeful that the Appellate authority will see things differently,” Brown concluded.

"I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and skyraiders....and the rest of it I just wasted."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

You Was ROBBED!

Shoulda taken her apart USAF Museum style- with a few chainsaws, and let them work out the jigsaw puzzle.

Of course I am agin' this kind of abuse of an aircraft... But they deserve it for Gestapo tactics and reneging on a done deal by political and legalistic bufoonery and theft.

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:03 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Very sad to hear this. :cry:
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Perfect, now the plane can be placed on outside display someplace untill it rots away. What bu****it and what a country!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 pm 

Okay,

I've been a lurker for quite a while, but I do have to say something about this. This does indeed set a horrible precedent. Also, with the promising news of possible changes in the way the NHC does business, does it appear to anyone else that the attitude at Dayton is sort of going the way the NHC used to have? (still has?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome aboard groundbound!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

As much as I love the NMUSAF, I have to agree that I'm very saddened and angered by this whole affair. If the Museum is so concerned with preservation, it already has plenty aircraft on outdoor display around the country in desperately need attention. My only hope is that this issue generates enough bad PR that the Museum will think twice about trying something like this again.

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, the USAFM can pound sand! Please excuse my tone, but this is what comes to mind after following this saga and finally hearing this terrible news. I'm glad I got to see the P-82 at Midland a couple of years ago because now its probably going somewhere to rot. No matter what anyone says, this was about big brother flexing their muscle and proving that the gov doesn't care about what's right or what is in the greater good for warbird preservation. Now I will most likely never seea P-82 fly. Thanks USAFM. Thanks for thinking about warbird enthusiasts, preservationists, and the public. Next thing you know they will charge admission to see this rare bird rot away.

Tommy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 pm 

Its a bummer, but c'mon, stick to the high road.

When all is said and done it will be remembered who acted how.

And who can be relied on to do the right thing...and who cannot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next