Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:41 pm 

Hi Wixers, Anyone heard of a B-17 on the bottom of a lake in Florida? I was talking to an Oldtimer recently and he says he has the location and no one else knows about it. Well Wixers or Rob Rohr. Contact me off line if you'd like. Thanx, Rob S :drinkers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:27 pm 

Thanks Rob! Not sure where in Florida. The guy wants a finder fee. Just thought it was interesting, theres a lot more out there than the average enthusiest would imagine. In fact I know of stuff in your neck of the woods that I've never heard mentioned on this board. Hopefully the laws will change before it's to late. Thanks again, I owe you a cold one...Rob S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:36 pm 

Rob, I'm talking about the stuff under dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

call me a blithering idiot.....i have been a warbirder / memorabilia collector / author for most of my adult life of 43 years but...... :oops: :oops: :oops: what does nhc stand for???

Post subject: nhc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:49 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Has the staying goes-the only stupid question is the one not asked.
Naval
Historical
Center
They seem to be the blithering idiots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:36 am 

Never
Help
Civilians

Cheers,

Brett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:48 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Naval
Hysterical
Center
:shock:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject: Initial success
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:29 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Never
Heard of
Corrosion

No
Hope for
Change

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:34 am 

Rob S.
I have recovered several wrecks from the swamps, lakes, and salt waters of Florida back in the 80's (the good old days!). I have had the pleasure of dealing with many fine people and still have occasional contact with some. First red flag, "he is the only one that knows location." Second flag, "he wants a finders fee". Unless he will sign a contract to return twice the fee if no B-17 is there, I would completely disregard his story. I had several opportunities to pay for the location of various fighters that did not exist.

I concur with Col. Rob on all of his points with the exception of the P-47's condition. It would not even cast a full shadow of a P-47, therefore, it would not be good for even patterns. However one wing was buried in the silt and the fresh water clams did not attach and destroy that area.

The lakes in Florida are mostly shallow and the deep ones are generally sink holes and too small in diameter to have made a controlled ditch. In addition, my experience shows that planes do not sink in swamps or mud whether above or below the surface of the water, unless other forces were involved such as strong (surf) wave action or silt being deposited due to dredging or run off. With all of this said, the B-17's I found in Florida did not have the verticle fin sticking out of the water!

"Save a plane today"
Lex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Which P-47 are you guys talking about? Where was it pulled from?
I spent years researching wrecks in Florida, and I too heard that urban legend about the B-17 "somewhere" in lake in Florida. I think it originally came from the survival school at Orlando AAF that did have a stripped B-17 in a ditching lake for training. I'd heard from lots of different folks over the years that it was removed after the war and stored in a barn or someplace. It's the same thing as all those, "WW2 Jeep in a crate for $50" stories I often hear. It's always some Uncle's, counsin's, neighbor's, stepson who swore someone told them. You never meet the person who actually has it. The USAF did a survey of all crashed aircraft in Florida in the 1950s and 1960s.
But I do find it funny that there's been no talk over the years of pulling the P-47 out of Lake Talquin, west of Tallahassee. It's in less than 8 feet of water, you can jump out of the boat and stand on it when the lake is low. Nick Fallier, who'd flown P-47s out of Dale Mabry AAF in Tallahassee during the war, talked for some time about recovering it. It had experienced a mid-air collision with another P-47 over the lake, both piloted by French pilots. Nobody ever found the other P-47, Nick always thought it was buried in the mud underneath the other one. This isn't some cheesy tale, I've personally seen photos of the plane when the lake was drained in the early 1980s, it's been mentioned on TV there several times as well. Someone I know has a rusted .50 cal from the airplane in his basement (again, you can quote me on this, I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES), found at the edge of the lake in the 1950s.
God knows what you you'd be able to do for a restoration, but I'd love to see it recovered and in a museum someday, as I've been researchign and collecting items from Mabry AAF since I was a kid.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:45 pm 

Hi Rob, Wow, you know where everything is. The laws have got to change. I know a guy who has pics of stuff being buried up there.
Thanx, Rob S :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:16 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I like Chris Brame's the best..

Never
Heard of
Corrosion

Classic stuff..

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:14 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Naturally
Heartless
Criminals

.... 'nuff said R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:30 am 
Long Time Member