Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Call Mega Movers.

Didn't they do one with a B-25 a while back :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:33 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

There is a little time, but not a lot. A tv show isn't a bad idea, but in the few dealings I've had with tv producers, I get the impression that they won't pay much of anything to help. I'll look into that angle though, just in case it'll help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 am 

So Gary, would the plan be to fly it to move it? I'd think that would be less work than taking it apart for trucking, because then it all has to be reassembled. If a B29 could sit for years in the freezing north and come back to flying condition with parts and equipment pretty much nonexistant, then it would be much easier in a major city in Montana, Hmmm maybe Hana montana would do a concert for the project. Ha ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Well, sure flying it out would be easier, but as I've mentioned before, it's still waaaay to early to know just what's going to happen. If you do a Google Maps search of the Helena, Montana airport, you'll see that even to get the airplane over to an area where it could taxi, you'd have to disassemble it, as they've already got it boxed in with buildings. It's easy to just say things will be easy, but things just don't always go that way. I also have no idea how bad the corrosion, if any, is on this bird.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:32 pm 

Oh ! I was going by the photo posted above. I thought the AP school was on the airport, and all ya had to do is fix and go. Well the city should have never let any buildings built that would block access to that school as far as aircraft go. So that cost should be on their back, since they allowed it to happen. So how much would have to come off? Wing tips just past last engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

looks like if you take the outer wing panels off and tow the saberliner (??) out of the way you should be able to squeeze by, by way of the southern route.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is by no means scientific bit from my calculations the Connie is 123 ft tip to tip and there is approximatly 147 ft at the narrowest point traveling north between the hangars. So theoretically if the path is cleared and traversable to the North the Connie could be towed accross the grass to the taxiway after a great deal of maneuvering to turn the aircraft around.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

When Nashville opened it newest runway in 1987, they had a couple of aircraft on display on 2R/20L. They had a C-119 "Georgia Girl" and Save A Connie's Connie. It had just been brought back to flying condition and still had a lot of work to go.
There was a problem with the number three engine and it was belching fire and smoke and was had metal in the screens.
To be legal they had all four engines turning on takeoff and as it flew overhead, after takeoff I am told you could see the smoke coming out of the #3 three engine as they shut it down and contiued home on the other three good engines.
Tallichet used to do the same with the B-17 to get it home. So you really need three good engines and the fourth has to be able to run a little bit and not be in the most critical position.
Does this sound right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:14 pm 

Legal? - No.

Has it been done? I suppose so :twisted:

Sully :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:12 pm 

Well like a bunch of other goofy rules, some need to be changed.
I bet when a major jet engine manufacture wants to test an engine by hanging it on wing, that many times there have been take offs with only the 3 originals on line.
So how does that rule read? Because planes way heavier than a constellation are taking off daily with only 2 engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:31 pm 

engguy, taking off with an inop engine is risky at best. There are several things that are useless once you are in the air and have trouble. One is a dead engine and others are runway behind you, fuel in the fuel truck, and altitude above you if you are unable to climb. :wink:

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm 

I didn't mean to imply that a 3 engine ferry was not possible.
I was replying to the notion that an engine only has to be turning for takeoff.

Three engine maintenance ferry flights are done by aircraft under approved rules including an approved maintenance program.

I can recall a DC8 that was ferried with only three engines installed. The fourth pylon was faired over.

Sully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:27 pm 

You can do 3 engine ferry's on 4 engine airplanes, and in the case of the 727, you can do 2 engine ferrys. I am sure you could get the permit for the Connie to do a 3 engine ferry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

John Cotter wrote:
You can do 3 engine ferry's on 4 engine airplanes, and in the case of the 727, you can do 2 engine ferrys. I am sure you could get the permit for the Connie to do a 3 engine ferry.

Yeah, but...

Doing a 3 engine ferry with an aircraft that has been in routine service is one thing. Doing it with one that has been sitting for 20 years or more and has been in the care of people who would knowingly run it with a hydraulic lock is something else entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

More pics of 52-3417 (interior)

http://www.dean-boys.com/52-3417/interior/interior_of_52-3417.htm

What a nice time capsule. If there's a guy who can do it, it's Gary.

Shay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next