Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:55 pm 

After browsing the registry, I didn't note any airworthy F-84s or F-89s, two of my more recent favorite cold war jets (just because they look nifty, of course).

Does anyone know if examples of either jet still fly and if so, where?

I'd really love to see a group step forward and try to get a collection of airworthy jets (fighters, at least) from the late 40s/early 50s...much like the CAF did to WWII birds a few decades ago.

Fat chance, I suppose. Yet, every airshow I've been to, people tend to stop to take notice whenever an F-86 or Mig fires up (not like they could ignore it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hello sir:

None are to my knowledge, and I'm sure someone will get one going. The limiting factor with getting a jet airworthy is fuel costs. If fuel wasn't a problem you'd probably see a dozen or so airworthy F-84's.

I guess also that their performance isn't quite as good as the F-86, hence F-86's are operating instead.

Chino has a static F-89, but again fuel costs would be terrible..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

none, zip, zilch, zero, nada, goose eggs on both!!

Post subject: jet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:06 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

I would think that the limiting factor in getting a jet airworthy would not be fuel (you just call the fuel truck and zip out your plastic) but parts, overhaul facilities and mechs experienced with the aircraft/systems in question. A Sport Aviation story a few years back told of the trials and tribulations of restoring Cavanaugh's F9F which was airworthy to begin with (well, sort of anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
would not be fuel (you just call the fuel truck and zip out your plastic)

Heavy debt, using plastic? 300gph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:12 pm 

It doesn't fly, but it took a truck ride a couple of years ago :wink: .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:35 pm 

The last flyable F-84F was owned by someone named Ward..it was flying about 20 years ago...it's now at the Pima Air Museum.

I've never heard of a civil straight wing F-84 flying....if someone has photos...I'd be interested. I really don't think it happened. :)

Never a civil F-89 either....other than used on bailment contracts.
The Army used a couple for a few years, but i don't think they used civil registrations. Rare birds today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:33 am 

JBoyle wrote:
The last flyable F-84F was owned by someone named Ward..it was flying about 20 years ago...it's now at the Pima Air Museum.

Actually, if the info I have in my records is correct, Mr. Ward's "Streak", (painted in Thunderbirds colors), N84JW s/n 52-6969, (which performed at TICO shows down in Florida as Rob Rohr mentioned) was apparently repossessed by the USAF and stuck on a pole at Malmstrom AFB, Montana, where she was repainted in the markings of a 407th Strategic Fighter Wing bird with the false I.D. of 52-6974.

The Pima '-84F in Thunderbird colors is supposedly 52-6563.

Sure would love to find out the reason it was "repossessed".......

(Would also really love to see one fly!)

Rare birds indeed.

Steve :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:06 pm 

Steven M. Dennis wrote:
[Actually, if the info I have in my records is correct, Mr. Ward's "Streak", (painted in Thunderbirds colors), N84JW s/n 52-6969, (which performed at TICO shows down in Florida as Rob Rohr mentioned) was apparently repossessed by the USAF and stuck on a pole at Malmstrom AFB, Montana, where she was repainted in the markings of a 407th Strategic Fighter Wing bird with the false I.D. of 52-6974.

The Pima '-84F in Thunderbird colors is supposedly 52-6563.

(Would also really love to see one fly!)

Rare birds indeed.

Steve :wink:

I could have sworn the placard on the 84F at Pima said it was a flying warbird for awhile. Oh well... :D

Post subject: jet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:57 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

There was a F-84F owned by Jon Ward at Mojave if I remember correctly.
HVD IV if you think gas is all it will take to get a old jet to fly your crazed.
Just restoring Cavanaugh's F9F taxed Fort Wayne Aero to it's limit. The simple rule is that most of these heavy hitters like Cavanaugh, Weeks, Pardue, James, Bertea ect don't really worry about the price of gas.

Post subject: cold war birds
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

just remembered that walt soplata has a thunderstreak. painted 60's camo style, ex air national guard bird, & far from flyable but in decent shape. best, tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mid-Atlantic Air Museum has a straight winged F-84... in fact, I believe it is an XP-84, but my memory may be failing me. When I volunteered there back in '97 they had intentions on restoring it to fly, but my guess is that all of their resources are focussed on getting the P-61 back in the air. I think that the reason that there are F-86's out there flying, as opposed to the F-84's is that they were operational much more recently as drones. Many of those flying now, I suppose, were once in the drone program, or chase planes. Would love to see many of those old birds fly again. My guess is that it will be very difficult... much more complexity, and scarecity of parts.

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:46 pm 

MAAM, taken just 2 weeks ago.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bill, thanks very much for the shot! Great to see her more or less whole again. When I saw her she was in many pieces in the outdoor storage area, along with an F-86F and other goodies.

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:55 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

RMAllnutt wrote:
I think that the reason that there are F-86's out there flying, as opposed to the F-84's is that they were operational much more recently as drones. Many of those flying now, I suppose, were once in the drone program, or chase planes.
I think a few were also most recently airworthy and in use in South America, and there were lots of spares available from the various US drone programs.

Last edited by bdk on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.