Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:17 pm 

Mark V wrote:
gregv wrote:

If this was taken at the FlugWerke shops, could it be the EADS/Messerschmitt foundation "G-10" D-FMBB?
No it was taken at the Meier Motors shop in Freiburg before the move to Bremgarten earlier this year.

gregv wrote:
Or, I also see on Preserved Axis Aircraft that the Fighter Factory also has a Buchon: "Acquired by the Fighter Factory, Suffolk, VA. Ex USAFM. Under restoration in Freiburg with DB 605 to G-6 configuration. Planned completion is 2007/2008. Will fly." Sounds more likely, then. I wonder what kind of paint scheme they have in mind? One of those overall RLM 76 high-altitude jobs with the Erla haube canopy & tall tail would be great
No planned scheme for the 109 yet - we are still figuring out the scheme for the 190!

Thanks for the info! On the '109, will the standard canopy and tail group be retained?

cheers

greg v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:29 pm 

Mark V wrote:
... at the Meier Motors shop in Freiburg before the move ...
Some impressions here:
http://www.airventure.de/news_meier_motors_8_07.htm

and here:
http://www.airventure.de/news_jaks_freiburg_1_07.htm

Warbird Videos:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34289

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:31 pm 
Great Stuff!!!!! .... I'd love to see more photos of any and all FW190's either being restored or already restored, already replicated etc.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Tom Blair's Buchon and Flugwerk-thingy at Duxford, Flying Legends 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:21 pm 
So for those of you who know more than I ... Is Paul Allen's FHC going to eventually have two FW190's? A long nose and a short nose? I'm still a bit out there on this thing. Also would the short nose be a flyer if he acquires one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:58 pm 

Hellcat wrote:
So for those of you who know more than I ... Is Paul Allen's FHC going to eventually have two FW190's? A long nose and a short nose? I'm still a bit out there on this thing. Also would the short nose be a flyer if he acquires one?

Allen already has both, the D-13 and an A-5 that is almost complete. I have a feeling that the A-5 will join the D-13 in the no-fly prize collection, but I hope it does get some air time like the Me109E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 pm 
Never thought I would see the day an FW190 (either original in someway or a replica) would see sky. I would have to think, and hope that a Stuka and ME110 wouldn't be too far behind. We all have discussed in the past the reality of these two ever being restored or replicated to flying condition, but 10 or so years from now, you just never know. And I'm well aware of the cost for such endeavors, but I wonder how much additional cost it would take to get a full scale Stuka in the air. Is a full scale replica Stuka that much more detailed than a replica FW190? ... What power plant could possibly be substituted for the stuka's original Jumo engine. I think of all the work being done to get a beaufighter and other rare aircraft in the air and how much of a battle that must be, MAAM's P-61 also comes to mind. It just seems so important to get a Stuka and ME110 in the air, I also just read that Hans-Ulrich Rudel was the most notable Stuka ace and was the most highly decorated German serviceman of World War II, seems interesting as well .....

A Stuka and ME110 in the air anytime soon ..... wishful thinking of course, but nice to discuss ... :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 pm 

What's the big deal with the "Flug Werk"? I mean, they continued the Yak production line not long ago, they are building "new" P-51s. I want to see FWs flying, I don't care how much is 'original". It's 65 years now. Most warbirds now are 80% remanufactured anyway. New spars, new skin, new longerons, new instrument panels, new everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hellcat wrote:
A Stuka and ME110 in the air anytime soon ..... wishful thinking of course, but nice to discuss ... :wink: :wink:

As someone who'd rather like to see the historically important Stuka back in the air in some form, and even the less important Me 110 (but in its significant nightfighter role) the issue is the simple cost-benefit analysis. For something that might cost 50-100 times as much as a Mustang or Spitfire to rebuild (plus you REALLY can't get the parts - factor a lot of time and negotiations etc.) you end up with the theoretical audience going 'Ah, Stu... hey, look at the Purdy Mustang..." :roll: Few manage to make money out of warbird rebuilding, but there's a big difference between dropping a lot of money and dropping an incredible amount for something that's 'worth' (in bookings resale etc.) a helavalot less than the Cessna P-51D.

Anyone not in the biz who thinks they understand the cost/difficulty issues of rebuilding rare or unique types probably doesn't - it's not 'just' a cubic money issue.

No one has seriously considered a Stuka in the air since the 1960s attempt to get the RAF Museum's late war model flying for the Battle of Britain film; The New Zealanders took a serious look at the idea of rebuilding a Me110 - but passed.

In the meantime:

From: http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... c&start=30

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:20 pm 
All the above makes a good point until you bring fellows like Paul Allen into the conversation, then simple cost-benefit analysis really bare no weight, but I'm not Paul Allen so I can only speculate on what actually goes on in his warbird collective mind. His FAA list is amazing. Just ask mr. 262 ... he has a wealth of info on the FHC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hellcat wrote:
All the above makes a good point until you bring fellows like Paul Allen into the conversation, then simple cost-benefit analysis really bare no weight, but I'm not Paul Allen so I can only speculate on what actually goes on in his warbird collective mind. His FAA list is amazing. Just ask mr. 262 ... he has a wealth of info on the FHC

Actually, I do include Paul Allen.

The FHC still hasn't tackled (or more accurately, paid for someone else to tackle) a challenge of the magnitude of a Stuka of Me110. That's not to say they won't in the future, but they haven't, and I don't see either type fitting into the collection's mandate as it stands; critically, as 'marginal' types to that mandate, they'd be shoo-ins maybe if there were viable examples to purchase - but, as per the cost-benefit analysis, there isn't, so they aren't going to appear there - yet.

Bear in mind that the FHC obtain 'available' types for the collection. While they've bought projects that require a lot of work, those haven't yet been as 'unique' builds, or as major as these would be. (Not to underestimate the tasks undertaken so far, of course!)

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 pm 

I have too wondered about other luftwaffe restorations,
Personally I believe that the idea of seeing a 162 flying again will happen sooner or later, its a quirky little thing that has alot of appeal.
In my mind It's all been done before and I believe with the right person and right £££ it is possible to do it again.......within reason of course, aircraft that have parts and airframes avaliable to copy like the 88 would be a good candidate but the truly rare and extinct aircraft will remain that way.
We will see alot more 109's in the near future and seeing a 'pedro' flying again is also likely. The excellent work being done by Guttorm in Norway on the 88's also makes me hopefull someone might become interested in creating an 88 to fly one day. I think using 211's would be in the realms of possibility, no-one is currently using them and examples are obtainable;I have heard the 211 is a more complex beast than the 605 though.
An interesting point is that luftwaffe projects often seem to be kept more secret than others and I am certainly hopeful for the future judging by some of the people I have spoken to and some of the things I have seen, remember good things come to those who wait!

Last edited by Augsburgeagle on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good points AE.
Augsburgeagle wrote:
An interesting point is that luftwaffe projects often seem to be kept more secret than others ...

Odd, isn't it? Maybe it's like buying a German car you get a free 'behaviour modification' with the deal. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 pm 

ha,
it's possibly due to the fact that the german restorations are still politically touchy in the countries where some of these restorations are occuring. Luftwaffe parts and equipment are generally more rare than allied stuff too, so the location and what there is may also be sensitive info, having visited some allied projects recently I have been amazed at the avaliability and price of allied stuff, at one project it came across to me as if getting hold of an engine was almost an after thought for the project (1710) where as certainly on the project I'm working on getting hold of engine parts is the lynchpin! Of course that is only in general terms, I realise that alot of allied parts are equally as rare too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Would a Stuka or 110cost more than Glacier Girl? Seems some dreamers still have the want to darn the costs. Can only hope someone would step up if a suitable project is out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next