Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 pm 

Thankfully it seems that all are OK, though I wish someone could hear from Bill. My heart goes out to all concerned....
I wish that were the case with the aircraft. My friend in Houston sent a long range pic and it looks like the damage to the Hurricane seems limited to the vertical and rudder and Bill's beloved Spit is up on it's nose behind the Hurricane. My friend told me what had transpired but I'll leave it to Bill to relate it to the group. Man, I hate this! I'm just glad no one was hurt....Tailwinds to all....

I am a citizen of the Air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:17 pm 
I visited with Bill earlier this evening after dinner. He is fine...physically. Mentally, I'd say he's not too thrilled. He was in the airplane and can describe the sequence to you guys if he wishes, but bottom line, no one is hurt.

Both airplanes have some substantial damage in certain areas, but both are fully repairable. Easy repairs? No, but repairable nonetheless. The Spitfire has landing gear damage (one main folded inwards), both wings have some dents and scrapes, and two prop blades are shredded. She ended up on her nose and resting on her left wing. The Hurricane's entire tail and left horizontal look like your dog's torn up chew toy, the tail wheel was knocked out from underneath her, there is damage to the wood stringers on her back, and the left wing and aileron are twisted and chewed pretty bad. There is also a large very neat cut in the left wing above the flap well. She ended up to the right side of the runway sitting on her mains. Both airplanes have damage to their flaps.

Bill mentioned at dinner that he has owned TE308 for 25 years yesterday, and never had an accident in her. Pretty darn good run if you ask me. Again, all is repairable and NO ONE GOT HURT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:54 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ouch!!! :cry: Glad everyone's OK....

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

thanks, ryan. I am sure we all were a bit worried. As for being...upset, well, who can blame him? It'd be like having your daughter run off with the garbage man to work as a porrnn star and become a scientoligist. Only worse.

Bill, I'm glad you're okay. I've only got two weeks in this house but if you need an extra pair of hands in shipping it back or something, let me know. It would be a great way to spend my summer vacation :wink:

I come equip[ed with a strong back and a small mind, and a willingness to share both

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

oops! Is WIX acting funy lately?

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:31 am 

Dang...how depressing is that :( Glad to read that Bill is OK :)

On the order of what muddy is saying Bill...I am sorta semi-retired and would be happy to head down your way to help out somehow.

This sort of thing just sux!

...just another plane dreamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

crap crap crap.................my sunday is shot......................glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:33 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

:shock:

I hate when this happenes. :x :(

Post subject: Such a bummer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:21 am 

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php/topic,11938.0.html

A couple pictures on Fence Check.

I feel so badly. It is always sad to hear about accidents and the damage that results. But, in this case it seems like we have a personal stake in it beyond just our love for the aircraft.

Bill Greenwood is such a regular poster and he is so personal in his posts, that I feel like it's my cherished machine sitting out on the tarmac all hurt and broken. I don't mean I feel less chagrined to see the Hurricane chewed and crippled...but Bill's Spit is almost a person on this forum in it's own right.

All my best to Bill and every hope that the damage to both aircraft will be corrected in a rapid and easy manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:43 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Oh my goodness! This is terrible news.

I'm glad to hear everyone is alright.

I don't know what to say... I'm quite shocked.

-David

Post subject: Re: Such a bummer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Vital Spark wrote:

I feel so badly. It is always sad to hear about accidents and the damage that results. But, in this case it seems like we have a personal stake in it beyond just our love for the aircraft.

Bill Greenwood is such a regular poster and he is so personal in his posts, that I feel like it's my cherished machine sitting out on the tarmac all hurt and broken. I don't mean I feel less chagrined to see the Hurricane chewed and crippled...but Bill's Spit is almost a person on this forum in it's own right.

All my best to Bill and every hope that the damage to both aircraft will be corrected in a rapid and easy manner.

Seeing those pictures.....CRAP!! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It wasn't a good thing that happened.

I don't know what happened, but I can say 2 things:

1. It didn't go over on its back
2. It didn't burn

So overall the day had a great ending for Bill. The damage will get fixed and he'll fly it again.............

Mark H
PS: When I starve my kid down another 20 pounds he can go fly it with Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My heart goes out to all involved. I too am thankful for no injuries.
With My Best Regards
Robbie

Post subject: Re: Such a bummer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:04 am 

Vital Spark wrote:

You put it so well....both Bill and his Spit are considered "one of our own"..... I'm not a big poster, but relish in Bill's posts and comments.
I've had a small altercation with my Citabria and know somewhat how Bill feels at this time, but my Citabria, though cherished by me, can't compare to the historical artifact that his Spit is. And like my Citabria, she's be as good as new again and take to the skys. BTW, those were the pics my friend Don Rogers sent me this morning....
I just hate this for Bill and all concerned....Tailwinds to all.

I am a citizen of the Air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 am 

Seeing those two planes damaged on the runway yesterday really bummed me out. The rest of the airshow, and the rest of what turned out to be a gorgeous day, was diminished by the sight of what happened. It really put a damper on my day. I hate seeing or hearing about these occurences. However, I am thrilled to hear that Bill and the other pilot did not incur any injuries. Planes can be repaired much easier than flesh. Hopefully, everyone involved can recover physically, emotionally, and financially to repair these beautiful planes for flight.
They put on a superb show yesterday!

Tommy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next