Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:39 am 

Hello all. I have some photos to share with those of you who have posted in the past about the Convair at Camariloo Airport. Heres some background and photos.
She is a CV240 and was delivered as VH-TAS to Trans-Australia Airlines ("James Cook") oct.'48. Consider that, for a minute. In 1956 it went to Pakistan Int'l Airlines (AP-AHS). It went Dutch as PH-NLP for Fokker (operated for Euravia) and came home as N559R for Beldex Corporation (july'60). It was reregistered as N396CG for Faberge Inc in sep.'70 and flew for movie star Cary Grant. It went thru various owners, incl Howard Hughes in the 1970s. It was stored in Pontiac,MI 1982-1986. C&M Airways,TX bought it in aug.'89, but it was registered to another owner a few months later… It was leased by Renown Aviation, as a freighter, in the early 1990s. Current Owner has had it at camarillo airport since the mid 90's.

We now are trying to sell her, parts out of her or display her at the entrance to the airport. Any one with questions, please post. Anyone interested or have any ideas for her, let me know, Ill pass it on for discussion over here. We're trying to raise interest in the aircraft or find a new group of volunteers to restore her, hopefully into a museum or tourst exhibit here at Camarillo Airport. Making her fly would cost too much money for us. Its a sad sad sad fact but true! The foundation does not have enough money to do much work on her at all, unless the inside gets restored enough to charge for admission to make money for restoration. So lets see the volunteers throw there hands up to save her! :)

Donations are appreciated. If we had enough donated we could restore her to flight condition, but you WIXers would have to help spread the word to help save her from being static permanently!

Cary Grants Chair!

Custom 8 Track Rack!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:02 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

You ought to rent that out as an apartment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 am 

Consider it rented then!, name the price, and remember, the rent pays for the restoration, so no noise complaints from the tenant!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:44 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sadly, there were some modifications made to that aircraft that will make it difficult for it to ever have a useful airworthy life anymore as the only way it'll make money is as a freighter. It would be nice if it could be flown as a museum piece, but CV-240s are expensive.

I know of one person who might be interested in some parts (probably mostly the props). I will contact him and see if I get a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow! It would be nice to clean up that interior and keep it as is. That's really neat. Belongs in a museum. There must be a place for it somewhere... PIMA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:50 pm 

If a museum wants her all is good, but corrosion is so advanced on the wings skin that most panels require repolacement, dont believe shell ever fly again unless theres a rich aviation nut who wants to drop a huge dime! UNless maybe everyone in the world pitches in $1, in either case, with that kind of money Ill restore it myself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

how much of the interior decor is from hughes or grant?? or was it bought & sold so many times that nobody can determine it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:46 am 

Time has really taken its toll on that aircraft. I photographed in Pontiac Michigan in the early 80's and it was very pretty. If I can find it I will post it up. Good luck with your efforts and hope somehow this piece of history can be saved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Tried E-bay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the decor looks pretty dated, 60's 70's taste at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:19 am 

That first posting was 31Dec07
Any progress in selling it?
I photographed it during my only visit to Camarillo in 1997, would be interested in adding pics posted in this thread onto my website (if no progress can post my website update on other forums and breath a little life into the search for new owners..?)
Rudi

Post subject: Progress?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:20 am 

That first posting was 31Dec07
Any progress in selling it?
I photographed it during my only visit to Camarillo in 1997, would be interested in adding pics posted in this thread onto my website (if no progress can post my website update on other forums and breath a little life into the search for new owners..?)
Rudi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That interior is beautiful- love the pilot's seating & cockpit... I coud enjoy that.

Maybe when I get rich...

Robbie
(who can't afford a toy aircraft at the moment)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:43 pm 

SOLD!

Sorry for the delay, but the aircraft has been sold and will be moved from Camarillo to a destination in Los Angeles where it will be restored to good condition and put on display permanently. It will be restored and cared for as Cary Grant's aircraft with the same interior and paint scheme outside. And no, at this time I can not post who bought it because I have not asked for permission to disclose it, but when I find out Ill let you know.

For a small donation towards our B-25 or C-47, some tours can be arranged before she leave next month. Please PM me only with your email address and time you'd like to come out.

Proud Supporter of....American Aeronautical Foundation 501(c)(3)
http://www.aafgroup.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

that is great news!!