Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:24 am 

I was over reading about the adventures of Otto Carter in the Pacific campaign and came across the part about one of his P-47s is being restored to flying condition by Rob Reinert (???). When you click on the link to the site with the info on the restoration, the latest pix are from 2004, which show a substantial amount of work had been done with a lot left to do.

Curious if any of you gentlemen in that part of the world would know how far along that restoration is? Is the plan still to restore it all the way to flying status? Any current pix?

Thanx in advance :D

...just another plane dreamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bob Greinert is restoring the aircraft to fly in Australia. He has another razorback P-47 under restoration too. I have not seen any updates on this aircraft recently, but Bob often looks in on this board ... I think his moniker is Junglebob... anyway, perhaps he can offer an update.

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:43 am 

Thanx for the correction on the name Richard :oops:

How about it JDK? You seem to be the fella in the know down that way :) Have you ever been to Mr Greinert's place? Any recent pix?

Thanx...

Post subject: RAZORBACK P-47s
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:42 am 

Howdy All

The last I heard was that there were more than 3 Razorbacks recovered from New Guinea, by Robert Greinert.

S/N. 42-8066 Obtained from Royal New Zealand Air Force Museum and now being restored for a Mr. John Sayers of South Africa

S/N. 42-8130 Sold to Pima Air and Space Museum

S/N. 42-22687 Pilot MIA

S/N. 42-27608 HARS Museum

For Pics and more information, see Pacific Wrecks !

Get Em Flying !

Lightning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

6trn4brn wrote:
How about it JDK? You seem to be the fella in the know down that way :) Have you ever been to Mr Greinert's place? Any recent pix?

Thank you, no and no! Sorry!

Lightning's details sound good to me, but not an area I've been keeping tabs on.

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:07 am 

Thanks for the info Lightning...yeah, I guess I've been to the Pacific Wrecks site a couple times :) Great site with a TON of info! Seems though that Mr Greinert prefers to keep quiet about his restorations :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:58 pm 

G`day Darrell, you`re right Rob does seem a little quiet about his work but with in the next couple of weeks his P47 restoration work shop will be relocating to the HARS museum building at Albion Park, Wollongong were it will be accessible to the public. Some pictures will follow.
Simmo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:19 am 

Thanx Simmo :)

Out of curiousity, does Mr Greinert restore aircraft for his own personal use or does he just make them look pretty and then sell them?

Welcome to the board by the way...great group of people here :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:33 am 

Both, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:18 am 

(bump) :)

Post subject: Sweetwater Swatter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 am 

Rather than engage in endless specuation why dont you consult the authoratative magazine Clasic Wings which regularly features accurate informative material on the P47 restoration.

Another article on the P47 rebuild is scheduled for the early 2008 edition of Clasic Wings. Wings are underway and what a mammoth engneering job this is.

And for those who want to know, Rob is currently in the US on business and cant exactly defend himself against your inane comments and questions. On his return I will ask him to post a reply

Post subject: Re: Sweetwater Swatter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:30 am 

Someone seems to have missed charm school.
Jungle Bob wrote:
Rather than engage in endless specuation why dont you consult the authoratative magazine Clasic Wings which regularly features accurate informative material on the P47 restoration.

Because speculation's free, and what online forum are about.

Quote:
Another article on the P47 rebuild is scheduled for the early 2008 edition of Clasic Wings. Wings are underway and what a mammoth engneering job this is.

Thank you for that. Had you left you post at this, we'd all feel more positive about you, life, the restoration, sunny skies et al.

Jungle Bob wrote:
And for those who want to know, Rob is currently in the US on business and cant exactly defend himself against your inane comments and questions. On his return I will ask him to post a reply

And there I was thinking you could get internet connections in the USA. Had you stuck to:
Jungle Bob wrote:
Please consult the authoritative magazine Classic Wings which regularly features accurate informative material on the P47 restoration. Another article on the P47 rebuild is scheduled for the early 2008 edition of Classic Wings. Wings are under way and what a mammoth engineering job this is. And for those who want to know, Rob is currently in the US on business. On his return I will ask him to post a reply.

You'd have communicated the same information without being (IMHO) needlessly offensive, although starting with 'please' might've been a bit of a stretch for you.. Charming, and a poor representative for Rob.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:09 am 

Thanx Raven...very well put!

No idea if someone had peed in that person's corn flakes or what the problem is. Absolutely no idea why they are being such a horse's tushy, but I am certain it is not from Mr Greinert himself.

Not sure I want anything to do with the magazine articles they posted as if they are as offensive as this person, no thanx!

GeezeLouise! :shock: