Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Today I was doing some research for an author who has written a book about the 479th FG, I ran across a couple curious photos that I wanted to share and hope somebody might be able to shed some light on.

The first is a cool looking WW P-51B. I've never seen the *double* Malcom Hood conversion before, so I thought this was unique.

I was able to pull this from a Google of the serial #:
P-51B-5-NA 43-6865

486 FS
PZ-X Gerst Lt. Joseph L Smoky Joe Became PZ-M - Lt. Mundell
PZ-M Mundell Lt. Earl L Jr. From Gerst then to Stover
PZ-M Stover Lt. Merton J "Smoky" From Mundell

55 FS
KI-Q w/w OTU a/c

435 FS, 479FG WATTISHAM, UK
22 Sept 1945 (J2-Q) Accident

Our second WW is a Jug. This airplane is one I'm really curious about, since the 435th never officially flew P-47s as far as I know. The photo I have is a photocopy, hence the low quality here.

I can barely make out the serial, but this is what I got from Google:
P-47D 42-22476

82nd FS
3 August 1943 Crashed Belly Landing at Bury St Edmonds/Sta 468, UK. Pilot: Anderson, Bryant Y
MX-S "Fortune's Fool" Reassigned as MX-J
MX-J Crash landed 4 Jan 44 - Lt. Joseph A Scheibler

5th Emergency Rescue Squadron (Air Sea Rescue Squadron)
5F-V

435FS, 479th FG WATTISHAM, UK
12 July 1945 Accident. (J2-R) Pilot: PARK, DAVID C.

So, can anyone shed any light on, or provide further photos of, these hack airplanes?

Last edited by Randy Haskin on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: war weary
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:56 pm 

Randy,

Look at the back bubble- that has some type of jump seat in it. Very interesting. I will have the other stuff back you in the next few days.

Mark

www.courtesyaircraft.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Randy

the yellow P-51B hack (great shot BTW !) is one of the many two seat conversions done at group-level using WW airframes. The 479th FG example indeed is unique in using two malcolm hoods, whereas other groups (like the 4th and 78th fore example who also had colorful two-seaters) usually used birdcage canopies.

The P-47 hack has another background: Post-VE-day. the 479th FG was scheduled to deploy to the PTO to fight against Japan, flying P-47N's - in order to familiarize pilots with the new type, they received a number of hand-me-down WW-P-47's.

VJ-day rendered the deployment of the 479th (plus other groups from the ETO) no longer necessary.

HTH
Regards
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:35 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Can't speak for the P-47 but I'm sure It's the same deal. After or near the end of the war a number of groups modified P-51Bs with a second seat and put malcolm hoods. The 20FG had one called Bond Bady and used it to give rides to the ground crew. The 4th FG had a nice one also. The very first 2 seat B was Stars Look Down of the 354th FG used to flying Eisenhower over the post DDay beachhead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:48 pm 

look at that a marauder tail in the background of the mustang pic...

soft spot for the marauder

jcw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:45 pm 

From Ron MacKay's book "20th Fighter Group" Published by Squadron Signal Publications Copyright 1995. ISBN 0-89747-368-X

Bond Baby with two Malcom hoods.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Johnson II on Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:51 pm 

From Jack H. Smith's book "Mustangs & Unicorns-A History of the 359th FG" Pictoral Histories Publishing Company Copyright 1997. ISBN 1-57510-029-0

A different variation on the 2 seat 51B/C

Dan

Last edited by Dan Johnson II on Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Two Seat P-51Bs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:29 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Dan,
I'd watch taking from copywritten sources and posting. Some of those
publishing types can get pretty nasty about that sort of thing. Just looking out for a fellow wixer.....JACK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In the January "Air Classics", there is a photospread on a beautifully restored P-51B/C two-seat conversion.

Post subject: Re: Two Seat P-51Bs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:29 am 

Jack Cook wrote:
Dan,
I'd watch taking from copywritten sources and posting. Some of those
publishing types can get pretty nasty about that sort of thing. Just looking out for a fellow wixer.....JACK

Even if they are credited as I did when I posted them?

Hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:12 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hello Dan et all

further to the posting of photographs from publications, I can give you some information re the copyright issue.

In forums, it generally is regarded okay to post photographs* from publications for illustrating purposes. It has to be made sure, however, that the full title, author, publisher and ISBN number are quoted.

*Using extracts from publications in a posting / thread is limited to one or two photos or short text passages. Scanning entire pages, chapters, color profiles, etc. is a big No-No.

Jim: can you please edit/add the required info ? (I would have done it straight away, but am sitting at my workplace and the books are at home)

Cordially
Martin / Swiss Mustangs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:00 am 

Swiss Mustangs wrote:
Hello Dan et all

further to the posting of photographs from publications, I can give you some information re the copyright issue.

In forums, it generally is regarded okay to post photographs* from publications for illustrating purposes. It has to be made sure, however, that the full title, author, publisher and ISBN number are quoted.

*Using extracts from publications in a posting / thread is limited to one or two photos or short text passages. Scanning entire pages, chapters, color profiles, etc. is a big No-No.

Jim: can you please edit/add the required info ? (I would have done it straight away, but am sitting at my workplace and the books are at home)

Cordially
Martin / Swiss Mustangs

Edited the two images to include the info you mentioned. Guess I'll give that practice a rest. Too much work :)

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:21 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

This pic came from the internet years ago, don't know its origin but thought it might be of interest.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Anyone know why the WW airplanes were given such whacked-out paintjobs?

Post subject: Hacks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:17 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

War weary B-24s & B-17s were not for the most part used has hacks Rob. But actually used has formation assembly ships. If you've got Roger Freeman's original "Mighty Eight" there are some good photos and painting of the some of the more colorful examples. In the case of the 79th FS's Bond Baby it's intended purpose was to give well deserved rides to the hard working ground crews. Bond Baby's usual pilot Was Lt Wallace Lucky Lowman who later commanded a A-! squadron in viet Nam. One of his pilots was 1Lt Rick Drury (My Secret War) owner/pilot of Sea Fury "Nuthin Special" and later a T-28B.