Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 am 

Greetings,

I will be building a 1/6 scale R/C Ziroli Corsair but currently am in the planning stages. I want to have the wings fold and have heard it can be done but was hoping I could find some references to plans, or tips for building. What kind of servos, stress/torque calculations, etc. Can anyone here help?

Thanks in advance,
Richard
rwright142@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:22 am 

Richard, a gentleman by the name of Earll Aune has built and competed with several folding wing Corsairs over the years. I think that Bob Holman Plans at one time carried some sort of plans and/or documentation on how Earll accomplished it. Bob's web site is severely lacking in info, best bet is to give him a ring.
www.bhplans.com

Earll is the Chairman of the Scale Masters Committee and could probably be reached through the United States Scale Masters web site.

http://www.scalemasters.org/Home.html

I have an article in an old Scale R/C Modeler magazine about Earll's Corsair, though I don't recall if it gives much in the way of details concerning the folding mechanism. I'll dig it out and have a look. If there is any good stuff in the mag I'll gladly copy it for you. Last but certainly not least, I recommend that you visit www.rcscalebuilder.com. You'll have to register to view the forums but this is easily the best RC scale site on the net with many well respected modelers from all over the world regularly participating as well as most of the big name designers. (with the exception of Ziroli!) Here is a pic of Earll's Corsair if you are unfamiliar with it.

And here is a short article on the airplane which does have some small pics of the folding mechanism. (these may be from the magazine I mentioned)

http://www.strictlyscale.com/earlaune.htm

Post subject: F4U Folding Wings
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:42 am 

This is great! Thanks so much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:32 pm 

You can also have a look at the IMAA High Flight winter 2005 issue. Page 9 has an outstanding write up on what Mort Rosenthal did with a Top Flite Giant Scale Corsair. It is impressive, however, I will have to pass this time by. I will be happy with converting my Ziroli design to a plug in 3 piece wing. If you find any additonal information, I would be interested in having a look for my next Ziroli Corsair!

Good luck on your project, and don't forget to post pictures! :D

Regards

Craig

Post subject: Scale Items
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:01 am 

Hey all,

Has anyone else seen the products from Oregon Scale Aviation (OSA)? There are incredible! I wanted to share this with anyone wanting to have their model RC planes look and act more like the full scale ones. OSA contact info at the bottom of this post. I bought their WingMan and it is great!

Products they offer:
o MicroGear Ultra
o Channel-3
o WingMan
o ThermaCowl

Descriptions:
MicroGear Ultra Features
o P51 and Corsair Style Landing Gear Control
o Air or mechanical retracts
o Air or mechanical doors
o Transmitter adjustable door servo travel
o Fully adjustable speeds and delays
o Recoverable Fail Safe for emergency landings
o Selectable locked or staggered mechanical main gears

Channel-3
Lets say you want your planes canopy to open when your in a landing configuration (gear and flaps down). This can be accomplished by connecting your radio receiver landing gear and flap channels to the controller inputs CH1 and CH2 respectively, and your sliding canopy servo to the controller output (CH1 or CH2 for servo reverse). Channel-3 will automatically open the cockpit canopy when your planes landing gear and flaps are lowered. The flap down position where the canopy opens is adjustable. The programmed dip-switch position enable set points are 20%, 50%, and 80%. Other exciting uses of Channel-3 are left to your imagination.

WingMan
WingMan was designed to enable the scale aviation enthusiast to control the folding or sweeping of wings in a scale-like manner. Additionally, it independently controls a latching servo that insures a positive lock of the wings, while requiring only a single channel of the transmitter. Many safety features have been incorporated in Wingman, in order to avoid inadvertent wing fold sequencing during flight. First, wing folding will only be initiated after an arming sequence of the transmitter switch.
Features
* Four selectable wing sweep or fold speeds
* Fast Down mode to simulate faster lowering than raising speed
* Servo travel adjust from transmitter (fold servo only)
* Servo reversing for both latch and fold servos
* Continuous control even with loss of transmitter signal
* Sequences uninterrupted by noisy or missing transmitter signal
* Digital noise filtering to prevent spurious sequencing
* Fail safe return to previous position if switched during fold sequence
* High quality multi-layer circuit board technology

ThermaCowl
ThermaCowl was designed to enable the scale aviation enthusiast to automatically control the opening and closing of cowl or cooling flaps in a scale-like manner. As the engine compartment temperature increases, the flaps open wider to allow further cooling. Because the flap position is controlled by temperature, ThermaCowl attempts to maintain a constant engine compartment temperature. This greatly aids in quicker warm-ups, and fewer lean run flame-outs. This control feature was found on many of the WWII era aircraft, and you will find ThermaCowl an excellent addition to your scale project to add that final touch of realism.
Features
o Proportional scale control of cowl or cooling flap position
o Requires only Power and Ground from receiver, does not load servo output
o Fully microprocessor controlled
o Adjustable start opening temperature
o Adjustable full open temperature
o No switches to configure, only 2 simple adjustments
o High quality multi-layer circuit board technology
o Designed and manufactured in the U.S.A.

Contact info:
Oregon Scale Aviation
P.O.Box 1514
Beaverton, Oregon 97005-1514
Buz Hampton: buz.hampton@comcast.net
Here's a video of their WingMan product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBI1oA1Gjfc