Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have been on various forums back when the internet was local BBS boards and remember loading the first version of AOL on a 386PC, and a couple things I have noticed recently that bother me is people using acronyms for names of places, groups or even the names of planes. A couple of recent examples, Someone was looking for a gate guard plane for the VWoC, just for fun, I did a search on VWoC, and I got places like this
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/
http://www.victoryworldoutreachcenter.org/
It was not until I did a search using VWOC, AIR MUSEUM that I found this
http://www.vintagewings.ca/ and even that was on page 2.

This was just posted on the thread about the most authentic Mustang

>Forgive the newbie question...but which one is HJGB?<

The planes name was Happy Jack's Go Buggy, is it that much more time to spell it out ? Do you get charged by the letter when you post ?

Why do posters make it hard for new readers to learn about what we enjoy and do ?

Another thing is when someone asks a question, and someone replies, Oh check with XYZ company, they have it, is it that much harder to post a link to XYZ company web site ? you answered the question and probably have the link all ready saved.

Rant off,

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

AOL? What's AOL?

OK, just teasing. You're right, we could be more considerate.

August

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You may have a legitimate beef with the abbreviations, but another area of annoyance are the posts stating names of people some assume we all are supposed to know somehow. I know very few "warbird people" and just to name a few I've seen posted? "Hacker", "Snort", "Steve-O". It doesn't take long to figure out who they are, but really? Not everyone is in the know around here. Then you have the motor heads and A&P guys who many times use language only Martians would understand. You got the class act guys who like to blast the poor (usually young posters) for asking a perceived Naive or perceived stupid question when all their trying to do is learn something but instead get chased away. And lastly the uptight spelling police who like to chastise posters for a few misspelled words ... Not realizing that the built-in WIX spell checker screws up more posts than it's worth. You see why some posters have several edits associated with their posts? The crappy auto spell checker many times causes that. Of course the biggest brain lapse posts are the ones from people who complain about people complaining, but that's normal operating procedure for Internet forums.

And To say nothing about the trolls this site suffers from from time to time who piss off thin skin guys like me to the point of wanting to track their sorry *sses down and slapping the sh*t out of them. Or of course getting me banned again. Lol ... Did I miss anything? Oh yah! The pompous, arrogant, egomaniac know-it-alls. Those clowns are always fun too.

Forgot one last one, because I'm in such a good mood. (And long winded of course) Those of you who choose to dislike someone you've never met in person and enjoy trash talking them to others who've never met them either? Your groovy dudes too. FWIW You'd be surprised just how cool some of us are in person ... Or not! Lol

Other than all that nonsense, everything is hunky-dory around here IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 am 

Well, as the original poster of that question about HJGB, I agree with the OP. However it never really gets under my skin...kinda just assume it goes with the territory, particularly when you come in from outside the whole warbird world (like me).

It does contribute to the "good 'ol boys club" feel...but it's never really bothered me but for the occasional frustration.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 am 

To be fair to Dave he did say
Quote:
VWoC, in Ottawa/Gatineau

When I Google "VWoC Ottawa" I get nothing but Vintage Wings of Canada results. While this doesn't stop you from having to Google it, it does make the search far easier when you include other hints in the post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:37 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

It's probably a result of the texting/tweeting world encroaching on the internet. I often try to take the time to spell things out but I must admit that is not always the case. This is WIX after all. Nobody refers to it as the Warbird Information eXchange. :)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ