Switch to full style
Since people seem to think that the off-topic section is for political discussion, something that is frowned upon, I have temporarily closed the section. ANY political discussions in any other forum will be deleted and the user suspended. I have had it with the politically motivated comments.
Post a reply

P-51 VS L-39 dogfight which would win?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 pm

If a P-51 and L-39 were to go head to head in a shooting match which would come out on top? I think the P-51 would win in a turning fight. What yal think?

Re: P-51 VS L-39 dogfight which would win?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 pm

I imagine that the P-51, having guns, would have an unfair advantage :P

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 pm

shrike wrote:I imagine that the P-51, having guns, would have an unfair advantage :P

Hey now, the L-39 can be equipped with a gun pod. :P

And with that note, I have to add the obligatory point: the plane with the better pilot. :wink:

I have to ask though: Why the odd match-up?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

Remembered a movie from back in the day where the CAF went after a drug lord in Me109(,Zero,P-51,and P-38 and the L-39 blew them all to pieces which I thought was kinda bs considering there was 4 of them and 1 L-39 with a gun pod and the speed differences for the ww2 fighters isn't that far from the L-39's speed. But who knows it was an 80's move so the L-39 was prolly supposed to be some sorta russian superjet haha.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 am

davidwomacks wrote:Remembered a movie from back in the day where the CAF went after a drug lord in Me109(,Zero,P-51,and P-38 and the L-39 blew them all to pieces which I thought was kinda bs considering there was 4 of them and 1 L-39 with a gun pod and the speed differences for the ww2 fighters isn't that far from the L-39's speed. But who knows it was an 80's move so the L-39 was prolly supposed to be some sorta russian superjet haha.

Are you by chance referring to Iron Eagle 3? If so, it wasn't a L-39, but the Rutan Aeres.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 am

L-39 performance is pretty close to that of the Me 262, so that gives you a bit of a benchmark.

August

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

davidwomacks wrote:Remembered a movie from back in the day where the CAF went after a drug lord in Me109(,Zero,P-51,and P-38 and the L-39 blew them all to pieces which I thought was kinda bs considering there was 4 of them and 1 L-39 with a gun pod and the speed differences for the ww2 fighters isn't that far from the L-39's speed. But who knows it was an 80's move so the L-39 was prolly supposed to be some sorta russian superjet haha.

That movie had nothing to do with the CAF. It was all Bob Pond's and The Planes of Fame collections. I think Gene Fisher provided the Zero but I'm not sure.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:37 am

Dogfights aren't won or lost doing desktop comparisons of specifications. Specs don't win fights: I have personally gunned/killed F-15s, F-16s, F-18s, and others from a T-38. Outcomes depend on a lot of different factors outside of the raw theoretical design capabilities of the aircraft.
Post a reply