Switch to full style
Since people seem to think that the off-topic section is for political discussion, something that is frowned upon, I have temporarily closed the section. ANY political discussions in any other forum will be deleted and the user suspended. I have had it with the politically motivated comments.
Post a reply

Movie 'Zero Dark Thirty'

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Saw it last night, as much of a serious film critic as I've always been, I have to give it a solid 8.5 out of 10, well worth a look. The ending scenes are outstanding and very convincing.

Re: Movie 'Zero Dark Thirty'

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Mark Allen M wrote:Saw it last night, as much of a serious film critic as I've always been, I have to give it a solid 8.5 out of 10, well worth a look. The ending scenes are outstanding and very convincing.

Is this what the C.I.A. or Pentagon told you to say? :lol: :lol:

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm glad to hear more opinions of this movie. I haven't seen it, and remain highly skeptical that they would do a good job being neutral or accurate [relatively] so soon after the fact. I am afraid the movie would be highly sensationalized and lack the requisite information to tell the story well. All the reviews I have read or heard of are good, but I am still not fully convinced that it lives up to the hype. (My local newspaper gave the movie an A+ rating, but gave Les Miserables, which I did see and was excellent, a B- IIRC. :shock: :roll: So I'm not convinced they know what they're talking about.)

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:30 pm

I just love how people take things literally, the disclaimer for the movie says 'based on fact' so does every retelling of the story of Wyatt Earp (must be in or about 150 or so Western films). If you attach that canard to everything you watch then every Western Movie or TV program is either 100% true (and John Wayne, Roy Rogers, Charles Starrett, and a few hundred other western cowboy heros couldn't have been everywhere), where's Bret Maverick when you need him? or Mc Jiver? Every War movie had better be 100% real and 100% fact or it's a lie too-show of hands, who REALLY believes Von Ryans Express or The Dirty Dozen were 100% true and 100% fact based? What about Stagecoach or the John Ford cavalry trilogy? STAR WARS had better be true too, oh it's 100% fantasy you say? It's chewing gum for your brains so stop taking everything so damned literally.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:57 pm

I was entertained and that's all that mattered to me, I could almost say I got my money's worth, but with the cost of the tickets, popcorn etc. was looking at $40.00 :roll: ... so that being said the movie fell way short.

I don't go to see movies to find out the truth about anything and I'm certainly not nieve enough to believe a movie is the truth about anything either. Just some simple entertainment at times.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm not entirely sure anymore why I thought the way I did. It's not like I really expected the movie to be entirely accurate. Although I apparently made myself look like an idiot, I still don't really feel like one. With movies like "Lincoln" out, I guess I expected them to be at least somewhat factual. There are definitely movies that are completely for entertainment, (like Skyfall, which I also recently saw :wink:) but I feel like we can reasonably expect some sort of truth out of others. I guess it was the advertising billing it as "the story of the operation to kill bin Laden" that made me think that they were going to attempt to somewhat follow the facts. The way it was presented in the commercials impressed upon me that they were trying to "tell the story" not just make another action/thriller movie. That's the best I can figure.

I guess what really struck me as weird is that it's only been a year since the raid. That they came out with a movie about it so quickly just stunned me.
Post a reply