Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

First of all this is a Warbird Information Exchange, & no matter how tragic this is, & it is very tragic (my heart weeps for all involved), fellows this ain't the place for this. I been here a long time (I think my member number was #100), & this type conversation needs to be somewhere else! This is the kind of stuff that just stir's up opinion related conversation, & this is not the place for it. Mods Please Lock This One!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Robbie, I totally understand your viewpoint here, but just to be clear on my position, I only posted my short comment as a release for me and a response to a thread that was posted by someone else.
I don't intend to, and NEVER have on WIX, posted in a discussion, on anything with such politically charged and polarizing subjects, whatever they may be. Such comments would not be in mine, nor the forum's best interest. I don't go there. Heck, I almost never even check the "Off Topic" section because it doesn't interest me. I only found it because there was a note from concerned WIX'ers on the Hangar Forum saying that it had been moved.

BUT, this was posted in the "Off-Topic" area. Along with such heavy aviation topics as, "Outrageously Expensive Kitchens", "Best Christmas Present Ever!", "Bathroom Cabinets", "Hostess Twinkie's shutting down", and "A political petition we can all get behind..." Not highly charged topics but....

A topic about one of the most tragic events in American history. I think it might be approp in this section unless it gets really politically in-flamed.
My 2 cents on a sad day.
Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry if I seemed insensitive.
Of course it's terrible.

My point was we shouldn't rush to knee jerk reations....the same way we didn't want the public to judge us after Reno.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Whatever the causes, whatever the solutions, this is a tragedy. One person took the lives of 26 others, mostly very young children. Those children will never see another Christmas. Or come home to their dog waiting at the door. Or have their first kiss. Or prom. Or marry, or have children of their own. Each of those children's loss sent waves through their families that they will never recover from. Each of those families will hold the memory of their lost child in their hearts for generations, and mourn. Each of their mothers will lie awake at night unable to comfort, unable to nurture, unable to hold their child. Every time each of those fathers sees Spongebob Squarepants he will hurt. He will want to yell at his lost child to turn the television down and regret that he can't. He will wonder who his son would become, who his daughter would have married. They will all carry this burden to the day they die, unhealed. None of us can ever make this anything but what it is.
This is a tragedy. Not a political argument.

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 pm 

Amen.

The time for discussion will come, for now I pray the families will find peace.

Last edited by Chuck Giese on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm 

muddyboots wrote:
Guys, really. Twenty children and six teachers were murdered today and you're arguing politics. Can we please just leave it alone and mourn the loss of innocence for once instead of making bones?
Yep, leave it alone until the next time; and the time after that; and...

You're right, this became political real quick and that's the problem - it shouldn't be a political, partisan issue.
I agree, no point in debating any further. Opinions are cast in stone and nothing substantive will be done as a result of this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Terrible!

Last edited by cooper9411 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry double post

Last edited by cooper9411 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:
RyanShort1 wrote:
Pat Carry wrote:
I believe this country is totally out of control. Its getting to the point where guards with automatic weapons need to be placed in every shopping mall and every school. Will it ever end? Its so sad whats been going on and my thoughts go out to all the victim's families. These mass shootings are happening somewhere about every 10 days. Gun violence in this country is becoming a national embarassment.

Note that most of these mass murders are happening where people aren't able to defend themselves...

Ryan

Ryan, I believe the only state in the union that does not allow carry/conceal is Illinois. I just heard this a couple of days ago when Illinois' ban on carry/conceal was declared unconstitutional.

All school zones are gun free zones by federal decree... and even those of us with concealed carry are not allowed to have them there. Didn't stop a single one of these mass murderers. The only people it stops from carrying into the gun free zones, are the law-abiding people who would and could defend in such a situation.
And it's not political. If we lose the 2nd amendment, you can bet it will include other "arms" including warbirds.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

When a house is on fire there is a small time window, 3 minutes or so, that the fire department has to get there or the building can't be saved.
Think about how fast and lethal a crazed gunman can perpetrate his crime before local law enforcement can even respond to the scene.
There have actually been three of these this month, this one happened to be the most deadly.
In the U.S. we have the "right to bear arms" and also to protect our property. A homeowner can protect his property pretty well with a shotgun.
In the case today, a teenager had his nutcase mother buy him the same type of weapons his local SWAT team uses. Why couldn't she have been like other bad parents and just bought him a motorcycle at 16?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
When a house is on fire there is a small time window, 3 minutes or so, that the fire department has to get there or the building can't be saved.
Think about how fast and lethal a crazed gunman can perpetrate his crime before local law enforcement can even respond to the scene.
There have actually been three of these this month, this one happened to be the most deadly.
In the U.S. we have the "right to bear arms" and also to protect our property. A homeowner can protect his property pretty well with a shotgun.
In the case today, a teenager had his nutcase mother buy him the same type of weapons his local SWAT team uses. Why couldn't she have been like other bad parents and just bought him a motorcycle at 16?

The problem is the training these kids have had. We've taken the moral compass and standard away from them, and then act surprised when they go bad.
I'd suggest everyone actually take the time to read the 2nd amendment and understand what the founders said. Look up the definitions in the Websters 1828 Dictionary and read the founding father's commentary on it.
Also, I personally believe that all children should be taught more responsible handling of weapons like those of us who grew up in rural families have had. The kids playing first person shooter video games scare me. It desensitizes.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I woke up to this thread today. :( I wanted to just continue to keep my mouth shut and post some silly photos of old airplanes, but I read the post below and felt the need to at least type something. I could spend hours 'dissecting' this conversation with the pros and cons on everything from the 2nd amendment to mental health to proper parenting to violent video game playing to really expensive kitchens ..... but what's the point. Nothing that I or anyone here could ever type on WIX, from the good folks to the pompous posters to the outright jack*ass Trolls, can ever console, argue, justify or make any sense of what happened yesterday. I've read Muddyboots post several times now. It's worth all of us reading more than once. Nothing more really needs to be said here. Muddyboots is an emotional man, I am too. And because of folks like Muddy WIX still holds an interest for guys like me. Even when WIX turns into a joke at times. He spoke for ALL of us in his post below yesterday. Allow that to be our thoughts for just a little bit longer before we feel the need to debate this madness. Please!

muddyboots wrote:
Whatever the causes, whatever the solutions, this is a tragedy. One person took the lives of 26 others, mostly very young children. Those children will never see another Christmas. Or come home to their dog waiting at the door. Or have their first kiss. Or prom. Or marry, or have children of their own. Each of those children's loss sent waves through their families that they will never recover from. Each of those families will hold the memory of their lost child in their hearts for generations, and mourn. Each of their mothers will lie awake at night unable to comfort, unable to nurture, unable to hold their child. Every time each of those fathers sees Spongebob Squarepants he will hurt. He will want to yell at his lost child to turn the television down and regret that he can't. He will wonder who his son would become, who his daughter would have married. They will all carry this burden to the day they die, unhealed. None of us can ever make this anything but what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:53 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
I woke up to this thread today. :( I wanted to just continue to keep my mouth shut and post some silly photos of old airplanes, but I read the post below and felt the need to at least type something. I could spend hours 'dissecting' this conversation with the pros and cons on everything from the 2nd amendment to mental health to proper parenting to violent video game playing to really expensive kitchens ..... but what's the point. Nothing that I or anyone here could ever type on WIX, from the good folks to the pompous posters to the outright jack*ass Trolls, can ever console, argue, justify or make any sense of what happened yesterday. I've read Muddyboots post several times now. It's worth all of us reading more than once. Nothing more really needs to be said here. Muddyboots is an emotional man, I am too. And because of folks like Muddy WIX still holds an interest for guys like me. Even when WIX turns into a joke at times. He spoke for ALL of us in his post below yesterday. Allow that to be our thoughts for just a little bit longer before we feel the need to debate this madness. Please!

muddyboots wrote:

Agree 100%

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It is folks like our president and media commentators who have already taken the offensive, Mark. They are opportunists who WILL take away your freedoms, and that is why it's important to engage. Don't think for a minute that private ownership of warbirds will last more than a tiny window after guns.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RyanShort1 wrote:
Don't think for a minute that private ownership of warbirds will last

That was/is the last thing on my mind right now. The tragic loss of innocence is what's on my mind, as should be with all of us. Ryan your a good guy and you have the right to express and feel any way you wish, you've certainly earned it, but I'd rather wade through the clouds of frustration at this time and concentrate my efforts on the sorrow of those poor folks who have a very difficult road to any sort of peace and recovery, of which for some will sadly never come.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next