Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Without breaching bans on discussion of politics, I was intrigued to learn that the US holds multiple elections all on a Tuesday as this was to avoid days of worship on the weekend and Market Day on Wednesday and give farmers and those in remote areas time to travel to the polls.

So given that its a working day, and that so many elections are concentrated onto the one day, is it normal practice for employees to be given time off to attend the polls, (with or without pay?)

And how long are the polling booths open for? do they stay open into the early evening?

regards

Mark Pilkington

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark_Pilkington wrote:
Without breaching bans on discussion of politics, I was intrigued to learn that the US holds multiple elections all on a Tuesday as this was to avoid days of worship on the weekend and Market Day on Wednesday and give farmers and those in remote areas time to travel to the polls.

So given that its a working day, and that so many elections are concentrated onto the one day, is it normal practice for employees to be given time off to attend the polls, (with or without pay?)

And how long are the polling booths open for? do they stay open into the early evening?

regards

Mark Pilkington

Here in Georgia, the polls are open from 7 AM until 7 PM. Scattered polling locations are open for "early" voting during the weeks prior to election day. There is also the option to mail in your vote if you anticipate being out of town or otherwise unavailable on election day. By law, employers are required to allow employees time off to excercise their voting privledge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For the last few years, every vote in Washington State has been conducted by mail in balloting, so I voted the day my ballot showed up on Oct. 22nd, took me about 4 minutes to fill in all the apropriate blocks (I'd already done my homework and consulted the Voters Info Pamphlet beforehand, and learned from my late Mother how to sift bulls--t out) I don't vote for people running unopposed for silly, minor positions, or judges especially since a local Judge got popped for DWI a couple weeks ago, didn't get ticketed or fined or lose his license, and now won't resign or retire and they won't prosecute him.
I sealed it in the double signatures required envelopes, and dropped it off at the collection box in front of City Hall. Now I need an extra button on my TV remote that can be pushed after I've voted that automatically puts up videos of twittering birds and waterfalls whenever a 'vote for me and I'll set ya free' ad comes on.
We can all cheer up as it'll all be over on Tuesday.....................for about three weeks when the next round of tub thumping for the next cycle starts.