Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How would Israel go about hitting Iran's nuclear sites if they chose to? I've never read a good description of the tactics involved in an air strike like that, from the aircraft to the weapons to the anti radar stuff...It's all a mystery to me. Somebody enlighten me. Not saying it will or won't happen, just how would it if it did? I'm sure Iran knows as much as any of you guys do about the tactics involved, so I doubt worrying about OpSec is an issue, is it?

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Man, nobody wants to explain how airstrikes work? What gives? :cry:

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

If I were Churchill, I'd drop a Grand Slam from a Lancaster. :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You're hopeless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm 

"guts"

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

muddyboots wrote:
You're hopeless.

Thank you!

So what kind of sites does Iran have? Reactors or stockpiles of bombs in some hidden bunker?

Was the US able to destroy all of Saddam's bunkers in Iraq with the GPS &/or laser guided weapons into the chimneys?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Look up Operation Opera for a similar strike in Iraq, F16's for the strike F-15's flying hicap. Since then the Israelis have taken delivery of the F-16I, a block 52 variant with conformal tanks and extended range-Iran being a little farther away.

It's doubtful that Israeli special forces will be able to illuminate the target as they (possibly) did in Operation Orchard - a similar, but much shorter ranged attack on a facility in Syria.

If the mission profile were to be similar to Opera look for 'dumb' bombs at very low altitude. If target illumination, or usable GPS data is available, you might see a 'loft' for the bomb to achieve final guidance while allowing an approach under radar.

I would expect at least one ELINT air craft to accompany the strike, and no matter what the official US position of the day is, you can bet every asset flying over Iraq will be listening VERY carefully to what lights up in Iran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Shrike. That's just what I was looking for. I really have little idea what modern air forces do. Wasn't trying to provoke a political argument, just trying to get an idea what they would be up against.

bdk, I can only assume they would be trying to disable reactors and centrifuges, maybe remove their computer systems (although we did that with that virus didn't we? That's my problem. The news (and Israel's pm) act like they would just fly over, pound the stuffing out of them, and all would be glorious. It can't be that easy...I don't even know what they would have to hit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 pm 

The use of computer viruses to alter the reported rpm. when implemented correctly is will corrupt the data being gathered as part of the research program.
It can also be used to over rev the centrifuges leading to shorter operating life times and gross centrifuge failure. I'm sure the engineers in Iraq are thinking what the hell why wont this work. why cant we enrich this stuff.

The use of LGB's and such for destroying the centrifuge themselves. you could but it's not just one big centrifuge. its multiple devices. you would need to know the exact location of each centrifuge. given suficant time its doable. also remember that each centrifuge uses large abouts of power to heat the metal and make it liquid. Attacking the power infrastructure can be an effective means of stopping research. but that would entail far to much disruption to the civilian population.

Politically it would justify the radicals be-leaf in oppressive western cultures that cant respect international recognize boundaries. Seriously what do you think the US response would be if an other nation did that to a US installation. let alone an Israeli one. it cant be one way.

Air strikes or cruse missiles would exacerbate the problem more then solve it. it only slows the development program not stop it.
a nuclear Iran is an inevitability. The use of OIL embargoes to destroy there economy is far more effective then a bomb.