Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:19 pm 

Thought you might like this, borrowed from another website.

The Aluminum Overcast flew into Leesburg, Va this weekend. During the flight down from New Jersey, the Number 2 Engine got a cracked cylinder block. The crack was about 1/2 wide and 2.5 inches long. Friday night through Saturday the mechanic worked to replace the cylinder, and he it finished about 2:30 PM. Everybody held their breath as the pilot turned over the engine, and with an eruption of grey smoke the engine came alive, after running about 1200 RPM for about 15 mins, NO LEAK, it was fixed and ready to fly.

Here are some photos!

This photo belowing, the Number 2 Engine Cowling is off, they just finished the repair.

Using Lightroom, tried to reproduce a WWII vintage photo..here it is, what do you think, close??

Several WWII Veterans showed up, and I was able to listen to their stories, here are a couple of them:

Here is a photo of Mr. Barry Nolan and myself, original B17 Pilot, who autographed book he wrote called "Isaih's Eagles Rising"
Mr. Nolan was in the 8th Air Corps, flew both B24s and B17s, over Germany, 12 missions B24, and 20 missions B17.

This is John C. Gill, who served in the 15th Corps, flew out of Italy, and saw action in North Africa and Germany. He was a tailgunner, 33 Missions.
His nickname was "Angle of Mercy" as he served on several different aircraft and each aircaft he served on, never was shot down, even after he left.

Hope you enjoyed viewing them:thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 1bdvet on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm 

Did they remove the big EAA sticker off the rear fuselage or did you just photo shop it out?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:58 pm 

bombadier29 wrote:
Did they remove the big EAA sticker off the rear fuselage or did you just photo shop it out?

I couldn't tell you, cause I copied it from another web site I was visiting, and came across these beautiful pictures of my favorite Acft, and thought I'll share my love on this web site.

When I was kid I saw this movie called Air Force, which I own today, I made up mind I wanted to be Crew Chief on B-17, well I can tell you after 23 years in the Air Force, I got my wish come true. I was stationed at McGuire AFB, when B-17 landed for our AirShow, and destroyed tire. Well I volunteered my men and me to replace the tire. After we completed the job, I never wanted to see another 17 again. It wasn't easy has it looked in the movie.