Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

Always wanted to get a private license but I am 58. Is being that age too old to realistically expect to have a license for a while? What I am asking is how hard is it to keep the medical and be aware enough not to be a hazard. Right now I don't have any medical issues but have to use reading glasses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Lots of Lookie Lou's but no replies. Nobody got an answer?
All I know is that the older you get the more likely you'll fail your medical and or be invalidated due to medication. How bad do you want to fly? Is it worth the expense knowing it might not last very long? You're getting long in the tooth but you ain't dead yet. If it's been a dream I say fulfill it before you really do get too old. You only get one chance to check those boxes. I had the chance to learn to fly as a kid but passed on it because I thought I would always have a chance. Now I'm on too much medication to do it and I'm only 43. These things creep up on you and before you know it your heart isn't what it was and you can't jump out of airplanes any more. Don't let it pass you by like I did, eh?

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If you want to get a pilots license, then do it! Does not matter how old you are what matters is how bad do you want it? The physical for a private pilots license is nothing compared to what the holder of a commercial pilots license has to go through. In my opinion, go for it. You will be glad you did.

Just my .02 :drink3: :drink3: :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In addition to medical issues, isnt money also a factor? Isnt it around 6k to get a license now?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In between 4,500-6,000$ Just depends on your location and how long it takes you to retain and understand the principals of flying and understanding how the aircraft works. :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:
In addition to medical issues, isnt money also a factor? Isnt it around 6k to get a license now?

Not really, unless you live in the right area and have an ideal training situation. A LOT of folks are spending closer to $10K - and that's even if they are getting close to the minimum of 40 hours. I'm training several students right now and you're looking at about 150+/hr for training once the expenses are totaled up for the aircraft and instructor, and then you've got fees for books, ground school or self study (DVD courses are $200+), highly recommended renter's insurance ($3-400) and then in my neck of the woods, you'll spend $400-500 for the checkride. We have some of the cheaper aircraft around. I know of a lot of aircraft that are going for $120+/hr and instructors at $40-60.
The OP should really look into the Sport Pilot option IMO in his age bracket unless he really wants to fly aircraft that are more capable. The sport aircraft are just as fun and a lot cheaper to operate.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 am 

Thanks for the information, gives me a little more knowledge to make an informed decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One other piece of advice.
Spend your time and money in the biggest chunks you can. If you can afford to take couple of weeks off, you will get greater benefit out of training 'full time' than you will an hour at a time piecemeal. If you prepay blocks of time you may be able to get a discount as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:16 pm 

I remember a letter to Dear Abby from many years ago that I always thought was good advice...in fact, I took it when I turned 40.

Someone wrote in saying that they always wanted to be a teacher but thought they were getting too old to start another career. The writer said that it would take something like 5 years to go back to school and get an education degree and become a teacher. They lamented "I'll be 40 by that time, and that seems too old." The reply from the advice columnist was "No matter what you do, in 5 years you'll be 40. Wouldn't you rather be doing something that you really want to be doing?"

It is expensive to get your license and of course you can anticipate medical issues with age. Maybe that sport license is the way to go, as Ryan said. I'm thinking about it. Good luck!

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:40 pm 

shrike wrote:
One other piece of advice.
Spend your time and money in the biggest chunks you can. If you can afford to take couple of weeks off, you will get greater benefit out of training 'full time' than you will an hour at a time piecemeal. If you prepay blocks of time you may be able to get a discount as well.

+1 on that advice.